Kyocera R-461 or Harmon Kardon 430 repair?

markk

Kyocera R-461 & Harmon Kardon 430 issues

Both power up.

HK has loud static through both channels with volume turned down. No music. Nothing looks bad under the hood. I'm guessing bad main filter caps?

The Kyocyera has some leaky caps in the power supply; 2 x 8200 uF and 2 x 1000 uF caps. Seems pretty easy, just replace the bad caps?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a R651 that I've had since new. So 32 yrs old. I've repaired twice as I always liked the musicality of Kyocera receivers. They also measure higher than rated watts per channel. But expensive to repair, at least here in Chicagoland.

BTW, with the Kyocera there are also two ceramic disk caps soldered in parallel on the bottom of the board marked and no blown fuses. NO blow fuses in the Kyocera either.

Last edited:
Given the condition of both receivers, are there any further recommendations or thoughts on how to proceed? The kyocera seems more straight forward. But I'm curious as to what is going on with the HK. Thanks!

Not sure what the issue is with the HK sight unseen, but I had its big brother HK 730 from new. It had some minor issues that a good cleaning restored to perfect working condition. Still all original under the hood, and my daughter and son-in-law are lovin it.

I have a R461. Excellent sounding unit. Build quality is great. I would fix that first.

Unfortunately I accidentally shorted the right channel on mine and no longer have output from the amplifier stage. It is currently doing preamp duty in the kitchen system, driving an Adcom GFA 535.

OK, I've started looking at the Kyocera. It appears one of the big filter capacitors is not charging. Replaced and still not charging. Something wrong in the power supply cb. What to try next?

Hmm. Sorry for your misfortune and no apparent answers from the guys in the know.
I have the 461 and other than the tuner memory button, it operates flawlessly. Sounds darn good to me and ballsy. The phono section seems quite good as is the tuner. Hard to pass one up at a good price.
So did this ever get resolved?

Sorry for the delay. Not resolved. Took the HK in to my 85 year old repairman. I may have him look at the Kyocera next.

I picked up one of those Kyocera's on Kijiji for $20 the other day with the same symptoms as yours and just finished getting it going today. The electrolytics you mention were glued in at the factory with what was originally a yellow coloured substance that has a very bad reputation for causing trouble. Over time and in the presence of heat it breaks down chemically causing it to turn brown, become acidic and conduct electricity to a degree. It will corrode copper wire and PCB traces, sometimes completely through. This is what happened to my R461 and caused one of the 6800 uF caps not to charge. Between those two large caps there is a wire jumper which was partly buried in that glue, and it was corroded through. I found another jumper just under the cap closest to the transformer which was also partially corroded. I replaced both anyway. That glue needs to GO, as much as possible. I scraped it all out after removing the caps, even sanded the board lightly as in this case the board itself measured high resistance before doing so. You can sometimes measure resistance in the megohms there and in parts of the degraded brown glue.

Anyway, I would look for that if you are handy. If you've replaced the caps already that will save you the trouble of cleaning the glue from them. Hopefully the leads of nearby diodes and other components will be OK. I was lucky on this one that the glue never touched them. I've seen this issue with that yellow glue in a lot of things of various makes including tube TV's and VCR's, all with similar or worse results. Sometimes if contact cement was used it would do something similar, but not anywhere near as much as the yellow stuff.

Great info. Love the sound of these old beauties. I just dont have the solder skills when it comes to anything serious, but it is amazing how many any amps ive been able to resurrect armed with a screwdriver and deoxit. Thank you blueshadow for helping with a luxman r-115(relay) issue.
Familiar faces .

I have an HK 930 which is one of my favourites. It very nearly became a parts donor because of how badly the left channel had been blown. All the transistors and a few other things blew, as well as a small part of the circuit board burned up! It was quite a chore to rebuild and not the prettiest looking repair job I ever did but the end result was well worth it to me so I understand the HK love. I am pretty impressed with the quality of that Kyocera though, too.

Thank you Scott for your advice. Sure enough, the jumper was corroded / broken. Scraped the glue off used on the big caps and anything else. She’s up and running now.

BTW, the HK 430 was repaired; double bonus.

You're welcome, it's nice to be able to send info the other way as I've learned quite a bit here myself before signing up.

Back
Top Bottom