L200T3 X 4 X JBL = coup de grâce

314carpenter

20180227_222757.jpg

:banana:I just scored 2 pairs of JBL L200T3 from an original owners divorcee who told me they probably had been used a total of 10 hours over the entirety of their relationship, but have not been used at all in many years. They are the consumer version of 4425 in a taller cabinet, and manufactured for 1 year only, 1990. The original msrp in 1990 was 999 each, that's 4K in 1990 dollars. They were not actually part of the T3 line, only the cabinetry was shared, but were more expensive than any else sharing the T3 moniker. The top consumer speaker available at the time was the 250Ti, and these fit in about where the 240Ti would have been that year.

:hug:For me, this completes an 8 year mission to acquire every speaker from the T3 line, so I now own L20T3, L40T3, L80T3, L100T3 (2 pairs), L200T3 (2 pairs). I have refurbished each one of these, and have a substantial investment in having fully functioning, great looking, easy to display, fine examples of the consumer line available at the time.

:lurk:The future on the 4 x L200T3's will run a similar path. First test for functionality, as I have not even tested them at all. Literally bought them as they sat, without any effort to listen to them at all. Next will be refoam the surrounds. My tech charges me 90 each. Probably going to recover the grills with some fresh fabric @50 a piece. 2 out of 4 frames have 6 pegs, the others have 3 left. After that, more listening tests. Then comes the real work, bringing the cabinets back to life. These could really use new veneer, but why not try to save it. I have some talent, experience, and hopefully a lot of luck too. I don't want to be too heavily invested in overhead on these. Just going to have some sacrifices to make on the overall appearance. They have not been treated with much respect over the years. I usually pass on lower condition cabinets, but when are you going to see 4 of these things in one place again? Oh yeah, at my house. :D

I will edit the post as new information becomes available, and photos will accompany as well, so
please allow me to get them in the door so I can get the family photos taken, and uploaded. Maybe a little cleanup first.

Last edited:
Let me be the first to congratulate you! I've had mine a little over a year, I was lucky mine came from another AK member, re-foamed in perfect condition ready to set up and play. I enjoy them greatly. They play many things well, the vocals are clear, defined and present. The cymbals, high hats are crisp as they should be, the brushes are smooth. Bass is powerful when required. The music source is critical, the quality of the recording is revealing. They do require power to to make them sing.

OK, so some progress is being made on one of these pairs. I have sent the woofers from 2 in for new surrounds, new dust caps, and removal of the old jbl foam plugs. I have Bill over at http://audioventures.com/ do my repair work. In the mean time while I wait for those to return, I am in the process of refinishing the cabinets. I removed the grill peg plugs, baby cheek tweeters, and terminal cap. I am having much success with this process, and the end results should speak for themselves. 2 weeks before I can bring these out in public for their unveiling.

Damn dude!!! Killer score as rare as they are. I just stumbled on to this. Any updates since last March on the L200t3 progress? Or have you been submitted to psychiatric therapy for having a "t3" fetish? Don't feel bad, I kinda do with the earlier T...TBQs, having L20tbq (3pr), L60tbq, L80...(oops don't have them), L100tbq. Maybe not quite as rare as your single year horn t3's but pretty sure they only offered the black lacquer for 2 years on the original t series. I bought the L100tbq's new and guess learning how few and far between they are ended up grabbing them over the years. They sit a lot covered in a bedroom (of course, all nestled together), due to the larger JBL siblings getting listening time. Give us an update please!!!

Never got that family photo. D'oh :no:. I sold the L80T3's before I got everything 100%. It was a compromise with the wife. Much has changed in my JBL room since I posted the thread. Once I completed the T3 collection, I moved on to the TI collection, of which I am 1/2 way there. Still need the 120TI and 18TI. All 4 individual JBL 200T3's are now fully restored and fully functional. I have 2 sitting idle, and 2 sitting in a prominent location in my JBL room. I run the 200T3 pair in 2 channel stereo off of a vintage Sumo Andromeda amplifier, and Sumo Electra preamp that were fully restored by Soundsmith of Peekskill, NY, widely known for their phono cartridges. These pieces can be seen in the second photo on the bottom of the left rack. So the room now consists of....

LR 250TI
Center L100T3
Surrounds 240TI
Rear Center L100T3
Atmos L20T3

2 Channel 200T3

20190307_110552 (1).jpg

20190307_110922.jpg

Never got that family photo. D'oh :no:. I sold the L80T3's before I got everything 100%. It was a compromise with the wife. Much has changed in my JBL room since I posted the thread. Once I completed the T3 collection, I moved on to the TI collection, of which I am 1/2 way there. Still need the 120TI and 18TI. All 4 individual JBL 200T3's are now fully restored and fully functional. I have 2 sitting idle, and 2 sitting in a prominent location in my JBL room. I run the 200T3 pair in 2 channel stereo off of a vintage Sumo Andromeda amplifier, and Sumo Electra preamp that were fully restored by Soundsmith of Peekskill, NY, widely known for their phono cartridges. These pieces can be seen in the second photo on the bottom of the left rack. So the room now consists of....

LR 250TI
Center L100T3
Surrounds 240TI
Rear Center L100T3
Atmos L20T3

2 Channel 200T3

View attachment 1441862

View attachment 1441863

Back
Top Bottom