Leaving McIntosh Gear Lie Fallow

oregonalex

I have a C2200 preamp that has been sitting aside mostly unused since I got a C2300.
It is gorgeous and plays great, and it was my first Mac piece and I don't want to sell it. I am keeping it as a backup and possibly to put it in use in the future.

My questions are:
1. Should I periodically power the C2200 up to keep the capacitors exercised to slow down any deterioration? How often?

2. Under these circumstances and given that the C2200 is around 2004 vintage, how long should I expect it to stay in perfect operating condition before it would need an overhaul?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
I’m assuming you mean C2200. Either way, 15 years is really nothing to worry about. Still quite young relatively speaking.

Does your C-2200 front glass plate have Frank Gow's name on it. He was the son of the President of Mac, Gordon Gow and Mcintosh's biggest supporter and most informed sales person .

He brought me back to the Mcintosh fold in 2008, We both grew up about the same time and had many shared experiences. If Frank had kept living I would probably be in the poor house, but I would have some XR 290's, 1201's and some 3500's for my Concert Grands. He loved 275's and big Tannoys were his favorites. He wasn't a big fan of KT 8s like me preferring the sound of the 3500, but a 275 was all you needed with a big pair of West Minsters.

Does your C-2200 front glass plate have Frank Gow's name on it.
No, mine is standard regular issue. I've heard that Frank Gow was particularly fond of the C2200 and I understand why. Of all the modern McIntosh tube preamps, I think the C2200 looks and sounds most 'classic'. That's why I am anxious to keep it in tip top shape into the future. I will never sell it unless forced to by circumstances.

Once you start building up a good collection of "Extra" components, it is amazing how many rooms in the house "Need" their own sound system. After the living room, extra bedroom, office, garage, and laundry room (which has my workbench), my wife is finally starting to push back. But I am sure you could find a place for a beautiful piece like your C2200, plus it gives you an excuse to pick up a new re-foaming/re-capping project or something.

For example: "But honey, those old Advents only need new foam surrounds and were only $20 at the garage sale. They will sound great in the office with the C2200 once I find a decent amp".

-Geoff

Once you start building up a good collection of "Extra" components, it is amazing how many rooms in the house "Need" their own sound system. After the living room, extra bedroom, office, garage, and laundry room (which has my workbench), my wife is finally starting to push back. But I am sure you could find a place for a beautiful piece like your C2200, plus it gives you an excuse to pick up a new re-foaming/re-capping project or something.

For example: "But honey, those old Advents only need new foam surrounds and were only $20 at the garage sale. They will sound great in the office with the C2200 once I find a decent amp".

-Geoff

That's the long-term idea. Unfortunately, there isn't room to swing a cat in the house at the moment and Mac gear isn't exactly conducive to plopping it on a flimsy shelf somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom