LED bulb upgrade on a Yamaha CR-420

Technically, LED's work on a certain current, rather than voltage. Typically, you'ld take the voltage you have, minus the Vf (forward voltage drop) of the LED, divided by the current you want. So, if I wanted 20ma through a 1.6 Vf LED @ 50 volts: (50 - 1.6) / .02 = 2420 So, I'd use around a 2.4k resistor.

I made the mistake of reading this before my first cup of coffee this morning.....:D

Don't forget to calculate the power dissipation of the resistor!

In your example it will be around one watt. That will fry a typically available 1/4 w resistor.

DH

Technically, LED's work on a certain current, rather than voltage. Typically, you'ld take the voltage you have, minus the Vf (forward voltage drop) of the LED, divided by the current you want. So, if I wanted 20ma through a 1.6 Vf LED @ 50 volts: (50 - 1.6) / .02 = 2420 So, I'd use around a 2.4k resistor.

I like it. I need to relamp my CR 820. Please send the contact info for led lamps. Tx.

I am going do the LED conversion of Yamaha and Pioneer. Originally both are white, but it's too plain for me.

Yamaha definitely must be green. I selected green because some Yamaha gears actually use green rubbers on the lamps and they look great. Not to mention I prefer green over blue and I think that Yamahas distinctive look is better then anything else (Marantz is second place because of gyro). Therefore, the best color should be reserved for the best beauty.

Marantz is definitely blue, as original.

Pioneer is a tough choice, I have to do some testing before I decide.

Kenwood and Sansui - still not decided yet.

If use white LEDs - use only "warm white", their color temperature is warmer. Don't use regular "white", they are too cold and unnatural in vintage gear.

Some lower models receivers (like presented here Yamaha or some Pioneers) don't have tuner scale (dial) lamps (only pointer lamp), so the tuner scale is not lighted. I think it should be corrected, so a couple of extra LEDs should be added and attached somewhere to illuminate the scale. In this case, the pointer probably should be a different color. Are there anyone who done this?

I have an onkyo t-4 tuner that needs bulbs does anyone know onkyo's color preference? I like the green, would a tuner be much different to do? Total newb here with this. I think I need two bulbs and this looks pretty simple. Are those wires soldered or just twisted and then heat wrapped? Thanks

I have an onkyo t-4 tuner that needs bulbs does anyone know onkyo's color preference? I like the green, would a tuner be much different to do? Total newb here with this. I think I need two bulbs and this looks pretty simple. Are those wires soldered or just twisted and then heat wrapped? Thanks

From what I have seen, at least with Yamahas, an amp and tuner are about the same as far as effort. I twisted and then soldered the wires. I don't know that just twisting it and then heat wrapping is enough. I preferred peace of mind with minimal extra effort, plus I think soldering is the norm. Good Luck!

More LEDs!

I'm starting to feel like an LED pimp! But man, LED upgrades are so cool and fun to do! I'm working on my Yamaha CA-810 and CT-810 now. Here are some before and after pics of my Tuner, I plan on upgrading my Amp this weekend.

BEFORE:
IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

I used White LEDs this time. I really like this better than the Blue one's. I got this unique subtle gray/light blue color, which is not too radical and really brightened-up the receiver. At first i panicked, because I ended up with BLUE lights again and then realized that I had to remove the plastic blue colored "lenses" which is what originally gives the Yamaha displays that weird green/amber color. I also decided not to insert the LEDs inside the pointer tuner display enclosure and instead placed the LED on top of the pointer enclosure secured with a strip of duct tape. The effect was a much brighter tuner illumination which spills to the left and right. IMO this is how these things should have been designed in the first place. :)

Last edited:
Can you please send me the name of your source for LED replacement lamps? My Yamaha CR 820 needs them badly! Thanks!!

I'm thinking of going with an amber color with my 620 when it comes. A touch more elgent than green, and not anachronistic as LED style blue or white. Still, those look good too. :)

Re-lamped Yamaha CR 820

Here are the final results of my CR 820 relamped with LEDs. They are much brighter and change the overall appearance of the unit. I did mount the dial pointer lamp on the top of the pointer instead of in its original mount. This does spread the light out along more of the dial spectrum which I like. This was a fun project. Next up: relamp my Marantz 2285b!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0789.jpg
    DSCN0789.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 440
Here are the final results of my CR 820 relamped with LEDs. They are much brighter and change the overall appearance of the unit. I did mount the dial pointer lamp on the top of the pointer instead of in its original mount. This does spread the light out along more of the dial spectrum which I like. This was a fun project. Next up: relamp my Marantz 2285b!!!

Hey gregj,

Congrats! I am not much of a purist when it comes to lights on vintage gear, especially on Marantz gear because of the low melting point of the plastics, so upgrades like these I love! :thmbsp:

Placing the LED on top of the tuner dial pointer lamp is probably the best thing I did with my CT-810! Now I can see where I am.
BEFORE:
IMG_2430.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

I am almost finished upgraded my 2235B to LEDs (except for the selection lamps, for now) and it is awesome! The bluish/greenish/turquoise color is now pure BLUE! I am placing a Yellow LED for the tuner pointer lamp and should really contrast nicely. Pictures to come soon! :D

gregj,

Here's what you can look forward to with the Marantz if it's the same style as the 2235B - Awesome! :D

IMG_2532.jpg

I have a CT800 and CA1010 that both need re-lamping... can I get the LED info as well, please?

Cheers

Murray

To: mkhhunt--I sent you the LED source in a Private Message.

The relamped Marantz looks AWESOME :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom