Left channel is quieter than the right

zebra03

All Audio - NO BS
I have a Technics SL-5 that seems to be a little quieter in the left channel than the right . I checked all my connections and they seem to be good . The HK825 that I have hooked up to it seems to work good with other components hooked up to it . I pressed the mono button on the KH825 and the sound became even . I have two phono inputs on that HK and I have not tried the other one . Any help will be appreciated .

If you have another cart, try that. Otherwise, it might be time to visit the internal (tonearm wiring, etc.) connections.

Good luck,
Rich P

Try the other phono input and/or switch RCA cables left to right. If the channel imbalance moves accordingly, it's not the amp.

It could be a damaged or bent stylus too or a tonearm tracking issue. Does the arm move smoothly and stay straight and at a tangent to the record?

Try the other phono input and/or switch RCA cables left to right. If the channel imbalance moves accordingly, it's not the amp.

It could be a damaged or bent stylus too or a tonearm tracking issue. Does the arm move smoothly and stay straight and at a tangent to the record?
Great ideas . I forgot about that switching cable idea .

Oh the joy of vintage gear . Whatever was going on has rectified itself and sounds great again . I love it .

Just switch phono cables left and right and see what it sounds like. Takes like 2 seconds.

Edit: Didn't see it sounds good "now".

O the joy of vintage . It started acting up again . I started fiddling with the pre-amp and low and behold , it was the MM/MC switch . ha . All good now .

Yes, that happens a lot. If your pre-amp MM/MC switch is doing that, it's possible that other switches have accumulated dirt, especially those not used often. Perhaps it's time to clean the controls of the pre-amp, or just make a mental note (you are probably going to forget, like me) that it has this problem for the next time something like that occurs.

Yes, that happens a lot. If your pre-amp MM/MC switch is doing that, it's possible that other switches have accumulated dirt, especially those not used often. Perhaps it's time to clean the controls of the pre-amp, or just make a mental note (you are probably going to forget, like me) that it has this problem for the next time something like that occurs.
When I first got the pre-amp , I did do some deoxit on the controls . The pre-amp worked fine on all other functions except for Phono . I must have missed the mm/mc switch . No biggie .

Back
Top Bottom