Les Paul Standard

Wine Red Standard. Purrrrty.

Ross6860: Gibson is all over the place and always has been. Even if it's listed as a Standard it will very often have different specs and appointments.

Almost like the builder uses whatever is close at hand.

Absolutely correct on both accounts.
The only thing standard about the LP standard is that nothing is standard.
Gibson has changed just about everything about this model over the years some times on what seems to b a yearly basis.
Different neck profiles and sizes, pickups, weight relieved or not bodies, tuners.Pots Caps, wired controls ,PCB boards ..The list goes on and on!
PQ!

Makes you wonder whats the diff. between the std. and custom aside from the price tag and head decal labeling.

(I really hate the term 'Parts Guitar"... all guitars are made up of parts.)

Almost like the builder uses whatever is close at hand.

That happened a lot @ The Kalmazoo Days. I've seen/handled (and owned one) of the '58-'59 Flying V's and damned near every example I've handled had certain elements (specs) that were unique to it. I found this less often to be the case re: '50s Lesters -- GTs and BBs -- particularly as we moved into the later (say, circa '56 +) model years. Now LP Jrs -- that was a whole different story...seemed like every example I ever handled, even same model years, was in some way(s) unique. They all sounded different, too. This was also true of those late-fifties Vs. Might have gone as well for the late-fifties Explorers, but I've never handled even a single example, much less several for comparison.

Makes you wonder whats the diff. between the std. and custom aside from the price tag and head decal labeling.

(I really hate the term 'Parts Guitar"... all guitars are made up of parts.)

In the old days a lotta differences, e.g., knob types, metal parts plating (gold for Customs, nickel for "non-Customs"), headstock shape, 'board wood (ebony @ Custom; RW "non-Custom), 'board inlay, a number of other elements. Early (circa '54) Customs had the Alnico PUP @ the neck, P90 out back; non-Customs had P90s @ both positions, etc. Also "doll factor" elements like black-tipped PUP switchs and 'guards (Custom), creme-tipped PUP switches and 'guards (non-Custom models)... the control of the cavity covers... Other stuff I no longer recall.

Oh heck, the early Customs had single-piece carved mahogany top while the non-Customs had the two (or three, in case of many GTs) carved (arched) maple tops, later (the 'Bursts" the two-piece maple top), some w/ nicely-bookmatched tops here n there.

The main thing that differentiated Customs & non-Customs circa '54-'59 were tonewoods and the composition -- ebony v. rosewood -- 'boards. That did have an effect on the sound of the things. But again, it seemed as if every GT sounded different, every BB sounded different, even if made the same year (month or even week). Volume varied a bit as well -- the PUP winding spex were all over the place...that affected the tone/sound as well.

As far as I remember from the rep our store used to work with - - ebony fretboard instead of rosewood and extra binding / bling and real MOP inlays. At one point the care in setting the neck / body joint was supposedly better and greater detail in finishing. But with the PLEK, although not done on all levels of guitars, the fret work is mostly taken care of. And of course being Gibson QC has and is always an issue. I remember the Pete Townsend CS LPs we got in the mid-oughts. Crooked pickups, scratches between pups and bridge, improperly glued nut, etc.

This could be the case for the Norlin+ years, but re:the examples I have handled from the "golden age" of Gibson SB electrics, things were pretty tight. A few eccentricities here & there, the varying PUP spex, nature ofthe woods, etc., but the construction spex were pretty darned consistent considering these were largely handmade instruments.

Parts Guitars!! :D
Aside from the eye candy we all know the guts are the key.. yes different pups produce diff sounds and design of body w/woods has effects. All eventually need new parts if played. So I get a dud used LP std. and get it fixed up or diy?.. so is it now a custom?
If this a real fender? my parts guitar?
index.php

Be surprised how good it sounds on my marshal valve-state or it's sure making that 12ax7 pre tube sing and sustain.

Parts Guitars!! :D
Aside from the eye candy we all know the guts are the key.. yes different pups produce diff sounds and design of body w/woods has effects. All eventually need new parts if played. So I get a dud used LP std. and get it fixed up or diy?.. so is it now a custom?
If this a real fender? my parts guitar?
index.php

Well everyone has an opinion/ definition on what is a "real Gibson, Fender etc,...parts guitars, custom guitars, customized guitars..
So here is mine...

Genuine brand name guitars are any guitar made by the company whose name is on them.
Good bad or in between. I remember when MIJ Fenders we not considered "Real Fenders" today there are those that prefer them and collect them.
guitar players and collectors are a funny bunch

Custom Shop Guitars are built in a manufacturers custom shop..Duh!

Custom made guitars are built to order using the customers specific design input from the begining to the end .
They can be built in a manufactures custom shop or by anyone else.
IMO anyone can build a custom guitar but only the manufacturer can build a custom______ bearing the companies name.

Parts guitars are a fuzzy grey area if they originated at the manufactures plant and then had parts changed.
Clapton's Brownie and Blackie are perfect examples of parts guitars that are still genuine Fenders in my book since all parts are made by Fender and the guitars originated at the Fender factory .

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/the-real-story-behind-claptons-most-famous-guitars/

But there is a line between a parts guitar, a replica or even worse a counterfeit.

Maybe we should look to classic automobiles like the various Shelby Cobras that are on the market.
Often it's about disclosure...

We made this Shelby Cobra from 3 totaled original Cobras using a frame and engine that serial #'s match..it's had a complete frame off restoration using nothing but genuine Shelby parts sourced and salvaged from correct era Cobra & model It has been authenticated by Shelby and a certificate of authenticity from Shelby Motor cars /Racing Inc. has been issued and is included.

We made the car from scratch from a Cobra kit and what ever parts we could find it's a replica.

We made the car from an old mustang and put aftermarket parts and didn't tell anyone.... It's a counterfeit/knock off!

Parts guitars I think can be classified the same way.
Whats the builders intent?

To restore an old guitar back to as close as possible original using the correct original parts for the year and model? It's Restored!

To make a new guitar from parts as close to original as possible and disclosed this fact.. it's replica.
(If the original manufacture does it it's a re-issue ..Go figure)

Or pass it off as the "Real Deal " complete with fake logos decals and serial #'s and COA you bought on line Its a f@ck*ng counterfeit!

Generally all parts guitars are custom made because the parts are chosen for that specific guitar.

Customized guitars can be any guitar that the owner has had changed to meet their needs or personalize it. Paint, different electronics, hardware etc. What ever it's your guitar you paid for it customize away...just disclose it to the next owner if it's not apparent.

Anyway what this has to do with the OP's LP? I don't know!
Again just my opinion I could be completely wrong as always YMMV
Cheers
PQ

Mystic: yes, I was referring to the "modern" era. And yes, the Kalamzoo folks were excellent craftsmen and women for the most part. Odd that those who elected to stay and form Heritage were then looked upon as inferior to Gibson.

Indeeed, and most of the Heritage-manufactured instruments I've handeled were well constructed, nicely balanced, good "feel" and sound. But you (too) know all-to-well about the (over?) importance lent to the name "Gibson" or "Fender" on the headstock.

Nice guitar. I had guitars for years then switched to keyboard. Wife asked recently if I missed my guitar...well that opens the door. Might start looking. Always wanted a Guild acoustic.

@Mystic - - all too well and that's how I got into G&L. A kid and his father came into the store I was working at with a brand new G&L L1000 and wanted to trade it in. Seems the kid was all upset that he didn't get a "real" Fender bass. The G&L was the equal to or better than any US-made Fender we had in the store and I told him it was designed and built by Leo Fender and George Fullerton but nothing could change his mind. So the kid went home with a standard P-bass and I got the L1K for $200. A bass I still have to this day and which started me on my G&L obsession.

l1k.jpg
Great looking G&L

Hens Teeth! I've never seen any G&L's. No sugar coating on those babies. Should post pics on the "show" thread; here.

I think the "Custom" question thing got spun off in a different direction from the thread.

A "Custom" is a specific model of a Gibson Les Paul.

What differentiates it from a "Standard" Les Paul is that it has an ebony fret board, block MOP inlays, fancy headstock inlays, gold hardware, tulip tuners, and a long neck tenon. I believe they also had muti-ply binding. Most of them were black or white back in the day. Maybe there were a few more items but I can't remember them.

At least that's what a LP Custom used to be. Who knows what they are passing off these days.

Back
Top Bottom