LET AK DO THE HEAVY "LISTENING"!!!! (music experts needed!)

Ok, this is a life-long favorite of mine, so narrowing them down to 5 songs that are easily accessible to the many was not an easy task. Making amazing music since 1976 (with a few turds of late), I give you...

The Cure

1. 10:15 Saturday Night from the early days of The Rocket - Crawly ("play the drip drip song!!")
2. A Forest (probably one of my all-time favorite songs, only better when played live)
3. Just Like Heaven (of course)
4. Fascination Street
5. Pictures of You (Really, the whole Disintegration album is amazing)

Bonus: From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea

Sorry, no Friday I'm in Love. Making The Cure accessible, not dumbed down.

• Steeley Dan. this is one of the bands I love now, but I didnt as a kid. Tight bass and drums, fantastic bass guitar playing and well recorded. Has Just enough "color and space" from the sax, piano, and keys, .... And .......when you are lucky enough to get a guitar solo,...... it is every bit as juicy as Knofler or Gilmour. add some Cool Chick background vocals, and add a male vocal that is relaxed,, while he suggest a memory or story... then u have something pretty cool that has to be listened to a few times to be appreciated. .....................song choices are ..............Peg..........Kid Charlemagne..........Josie............Black Cow............Deacon Blues.

Ok, this is a life-long favorite of mine, so narrowing them down to 5 songs that are easily accessible to the many was not an easy task. Making amazing music since 1976 (with a few turds of late), I give you...

The Cure

5. Pictures of You (Really, the whole Disintegration album is amazing)

Seconded.

Here is a contribution from a genre that doesn't get much love here on AK, Post-Rock.

Mogwai are from Scotland and have been together since 1995.
This is a great starting point to dive into some good post-rock.

Ladies and gentlemen, MOGWAI!

1. Hunted By a Freak
2. Cody
3. Remurdered
4. Rano Pano
5. Mogwai Fear Satan

Bonus: My Father, My King

If you're looking for a good single album to pick up as a starting point, I highly recommend "Government Commissions". It's a live compilation that is beautifully recorded. The first 2 tracks I have posted here are from that album.

I am going to add another very influential band, considerably mainstream or maybe just popular but have a fine catalogue worth having. I remember getting a taped copy of Licence to Ill in the late 80s and playing it over and over, what a noise !
The video sort of gave a taste of what was to come, tongue in cheek, poking fun and pastiche, nonetheless, a rocking tune:
Beastie Boys No Sleep til Brooklyn
There was mayhem at their early concerts, sadly I never got to see them live.

Their next albums I ignored for years, this one was a lot more mature and had some slick samples and funky Beats, not afraid to pay homage to their idols in lyrics; here's a favourite from Paul's Boutique
Beastie Boys - Hey Ladies

Next album was an even more listenable and finely hammered together piece of work, Check Your Head. One of my favourite tracks Pass the Mic just defines how in tune and in time with each other they were.
Beastie Boys - Pass the Mic

Next album chronologically was Ill Communication and most people probably know Sabotage with that legendary video of a 70's cop show parody
Hard to pick a favourite off this album as so many brilliantly pieced together tracks, I'm going for the opener, one that encourages you to try this album start to finish.
Beastie Boys - Sure Shot

Next up is from my favourite Beastie Boys Album. Hello Nasty
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
Not much needs to be said, just enjoy

That's my 5, the reason I got back into the Beastie Boys after ignoring them after their first album is this "the in sound from way out l" an instrumental album that really hooked me, made me appreciate them as real musicians, a band, and made me look at their back catalogue, I can't post links it seems maybe for licensing reason but you can see some live action here
There's more recent albums but like so many bands for my taste produced better albums earlier in the career

In the last couple of years, I have become something of a fan of Steve Morse. I saw him several times with Kansas in the 80s, and was always impressed by the energy he displays in his playing. When I got back into vinyl a couple of years ago, one of the first bands I looked for when buying new used records was the Dixie Dregs. Some of my friends consider the Dregs to be jazz-rock fusion, but I consider them to be one of the more interesting progressive rock bands, even if vocals/lyrics are in short supply. I've also found a couple of his solo efforts to be quite listenable. I must admit to not having heard his work with Deep Purple, however. Anyway, if I were to try to list some (like, 5) songs to introduce a new listener to his work, it would not be too difficult:

Odyssey, from What If

Night meets Light, from What If

Hereafter, from Dregs Of The Earth

Punk Sandwich, from Night Of The Living Dregs

Leprechaun Promenade, originally from Night Of The Living Dregs, but I enjoy the version on High Tension Wires even more.

In fact, if I was to recommend just one album to showcase Steve's talent, it would be his first real solo album, High Tension Wires.

Twilight Zone has the lyrics "When the bullet hits the bone" within it.
Radar Love is a whole different animal! This song was the straw that finally did my old Marantz 1120 in. I had hauled my JBL L200's over to a friends house for a party, and it was flat out rocking, everyone dancing and I had the 200's cranked up high.. Right in the middle of Radar Love, silence... To say the air left the room was an understatement.. Couldn't get the Marantz to go, even a six pac of frozen beer on the fins in the back didn't do it. Next thing I know, everyone leaving in a hurry as 2 cop cars pulled up. Toilets flushing, police radios squawking, and someone outside letting the air out of the cops tires.. Ah what fun times!
Anyway the next day I was amplifier shopping and found the Kenwood separates I still have today...
Sorry for the remissness ramble..
That's hilarious.
c042.gif

Great story, thanks for the laughs.

ok guys heres one for the great paul weller
i'll stick to his own solo stuff for now as maybe a post could be done for the jam/style council in the future.
here's a bit of back ground for those that don't know from the wiki,
John William "Paul" Weller, Jr. (born 25 May 1958) is an English singer, songwriter and musician. Weller achieved fame with the punk rock/new wave/mod revival band The Jam. He had further success with the blue-eyed soul music of The Style Council (1983–89), before establishing himself as a solo artist in 1991.
jay

Thanks for posting this, I purchased the deluxe 2CD of "Wild Wood" and will be getting more, probably the next release. Very good sound on this one as well.

Dave

Sea Level
Twenty Five Miles From Nowhere
Electron Cold
This Could Be The Worst
Uptown Downtown
Canine Man

Sea Level was a Southern rock/funk/fusion jam band that mixed jazz, blues and rock and existed between 1976 and 1981.

Great strings, horns, and ivory. Initially it was an offshoot of The Allman Brothers Band. As tensions grew between the loss of two of The Allman Brothers Band founding members, personal grievances between Gregg Allman and other band mates and associates, Sea Level took on a life of its own as an independent band.

After the initial breakup of the Allman Brothers Band when Gregg Allman and Dicky Betts left, most of the remaining members who evolved into Sea Level were the trio "We Three" comprising bassist Lamar Williams, drummer Jaimoe and Chuck Leavell (piano, keyboards, vocals).

The We Three trio would occasionally open shows for the Allman Bros. in 1975 and 1976. With the Allmans disbanding in 1976, the trio added guitarist Jimmy Nalls and named the band based on a phonetic pun of their new bandleader Chuck Leavell's name: "C. Leavell." Randall Bramlett joined the group with his sax, keyboard, and vocal chops in 1977 on their second album.

Sublime
Don't Push
Badfish
Summertime
Santeria
Garden Grove

"....it smelled like Lou Dog inside the van......oh yeah..."

That band did much in a very short time.

Thread is growing like I had hoped. Thanks everyone. Still trying to parse down my selections for the mighty Motorhead.

IMG_0013.JPG

The entire album...

Mr. Coffey was one of the leading songwriter group coaches that wrote and coached contracted artists in developing a groups talents at Motown. This is the guy that Micheal was following around when the Jackson Five was still around. This record is a late sixties jam session which is a fusion of R&B and Jazz. Mr. Coffey is another great from the San Francisco Bay Area and was found by Berry Gourdy observing him jamming on the guitar after setting up equipment at the Fillmore West.

Next to Elliott Smith, if I could just sit and listen to one guy and his guitar, it would be
Billy Bragg

1. A New England
2. The Milkman of Human Kindness
3. Greetings to the New Brunette
4. Levi Stubb's Tears (about a woman whose Four Tops album brings her comfort through difficult times)
5. Waiting For the Great Leap Forward (this song has gone through MANY changes over the years)

Still getting into Mr. Smith. Love Nick Drake, John Martyn, and will have to check this guy out too.

I am going to add another very influential band, considerably mainstream or maybe just popular but have a fine catalogue worth having. I remember getting a taped copy of Licence to Ill in the late 80s and playing it over and over, what a noise !
The video sort of gave a taste of what was to come, tongue in cheek, poking fun and pastiche, nonetheless, a rocking tune:
Beastie Boys No Sleep til Brooklyn
There was mayhem at their early concerts, sadly I never got to see them live.

Their next albums I ignored for years, this one was a lot more mature and had some slick samples and funky Beats, not afraid to pay homage to their idols in lyrics; here's a favourite from Paul's Boutique
Beastie Boys - Hey Ladies

Next album was an even more listenable and finely hammered together piece of work, Check Your Head. One of my favourite tracks Pass the Mic just defines how in tune and in time with each other they were.
Beastie Boys - Pass the Mic

Next album chronologically was Ill Communication and most people probably know Sabotage with that legendary video of a 70's cop show parody
Hard to pick a favourite off this album as so many brilliantly pieced together tracks, I'm going for the opener, one that encourages you to try this album start to finish.
Beastie Boys - Sure Shot

Next up is from my favourite Beastie Boys Album. Hello Nasty
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
Not much needs to be said, just enjoy

That's my 5, the reason I got back into the Beastie Boys after ignoring them after their first album is this "the in sound from way out l" an instrumental album that really hooked me, made me appreciate them as real musicians, a band, and made me look at their back catalogue, I can't post links it seems maybe for licensing reason but you can see some live action here
There's more recent albums but like so many bands for my taste produced better albums earlier in the career

Great list. There are some amazing remix albums but check out the latest...

https://coinsmakeyoudance.bandcamp.com/album/daft-science

Reactions: Rt8
Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark are a (mainly) electronic group who formed in Liverpool in 1978. Two members Paul Humphries and Andy McCluskey are the mainstays with various members being added or dropped as the need arose. I'm sure these guys are manic depressive because their tracks range in tempo and emotion from something similar to Elvis Costello's "Pump it Up" to total downers in almost a Joy Division style. Their first four albums had danceable, poppy tracks like "Electricity", "Enola Gay" and "Telegraph" but then would also have songs in a waltz tempo such as "Joan of Arc".

Their fourth album "Dazzle Ships" saw them, fall from public favour in the UK and Europe, so they decided to go more mainstream which did well for their sales in the USA. "If you Leave" from the "Pretty in Pink" soundtrack is probably their best known track. This however caused McCluskey and Humphries to split before re-forming and continuing with the eye on the experimental rather than the commercial.

I'll cut and paste from Wikipedia.

In a 2008 piece on OMD, The Quietus magazine editor John Doran called them "the only Liverpool band to come near to living up to the monolithic standards of productivity and creativity set in place by the Beatles", and asserted: "Orchestral Manouevres in the Dark are not one of the best synth bands ever: they are one of the best bands ever." Veteran BBC DJ Simon Mayo described OMD as "the fathers of electronic music in this country [the UK]."

OMD's experimental brand of synthpop has garnered limited mainstream attention. The group generally eschew choruses, replacing them with synthesizer lines, and opt for unconventional lyrical subjects such as war and machinery; the BBC wrote that "OMD were always more intellectual" than "contemporaries like Duran Duran and Eurythmics". The band also rejected celebrity status and strove "to have no image". Despite the group's experimentation, they had an established knack for pop hooks; AllMusic critic Mike DeGagne wrote that OMD's music was "a step above other keyboard pop music of the time, thanks to the combination of intelligently crafted hooks and colorful rhythms". DeGagne's colleague Jon O'Brien remarked that the outfit were "ahead of their time".

McCluskey in 2010 opined that OMD had become "the forgotten band" (he had predicted in 1981, at the peak of the group's popularity, that they would soon be forgotten). The band have nonetheless earned a growing cult following. OMD have come to be regarded as one of the great Liverpool acts of the 1980s, and pioneers of the synthpop genre.] Architecture & Morality (1981), regarded as the group's seminal work, had sold more than 4 million copies by early 2007; Sugar Tax (1991), the album that marked a commercial renaissance for the band, had sold more than 3 million by the same time period. The challenging Dazzle Ships (1983), while not as commercially successful, has been hailed as an experimental masterpiece. OMD's overall record sales stand in excess of 40 million.
So they're no lightweights and are one of the few bands from the 80's that I still listen to regularly. Myself I prefer their earlier albums which seemed a bit more an attempt of genuine artistry rather than just making a couple of hits.

Here I've included some tracks which I think have aged quite well and are a little bit off the radar.

Souvenir (Architecture and Morality) : The first electronica track that I can remember that brought a real lushness and warmth to the piece.

International (Dazzle Ships)
: Off their forgotten classic album Dazzle Ships which had quite a few shortwave recording mixed in. A slow waltz track that build to a magnificent teetering on the edge vocal crescendo.

Bloc Bloc Bloc (Crush) : Boppy, a later recording.

Sealand (Architecture and Morality): A longer slower almost ambient track with a nice interlude. They also did a similar track called Stanlow on their Organization LP.

Promise (Organization): I just put this one in as I love the melody on it.

Back
Top Bottom