Lets Be Realistic

Bodyblue

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am not sure about others, but my vintage journey goes in cycles. When I started getting back into vintage audio after I retired I started with the lowly receiver. I wanted to see and touch and hear all the brands I could. I bought and sold over and over, just having a blast. Last year I decided to start buying integrated amps and receivers. For my main system I settled on an almost all Marantz; 250 amp, 1060 integrated as a pre amp, 6150 TT, Imperial 6 speakers and a Marantz tuner.

After buying amps and tuners from Kenwood, Pioneer, Fisher and Sony My interest began to fade on them. They were fun but not as fun as receivers. So I sold some of the integrateds and moved back into receivers on a smaller scale. I found some units I have never seen like the Quadraflexs 979 and a Fisher RS 2007.

But my original interest was in Realistic stuff. Probably based in nostalgia but I like things that are not the same as everything else so I started looking for Realistic receivers again.

The first one I found was steal on eBay that no one had bid on. An STA 85 from 1978. Unusual for the time with a black aluminum face, it also has a walnut veneer case and a handsome cream colored dial. I had had one before and liked it. Rated at 35 wpc it has plenty of power to run any of my speakers easily. It is good looking and great sounding. It had burned out lamps so I ordered and installed cool white LEDs. It works perfectly. I think I will use it for a while then probably sell it

I have had and still have mainly units from the 1970s, they are old enough to look cool but new enough that most SS teething problems had been sorted out. As I looked around on eBay and other sources I kept seeing these 80s Realistics that went to quartz tuning for really cheap. For months I kept ignoring them but I finally stopped to look at a few. Most of the lower powered ones (around 50 to 70 watts) were made in Singapore or Korea. Now I know there is decent stuff made there but I prefer the items made in Japan from that time frame. When I looked at the STA 2600 (100wpc) I notices that it was actually made in Japan! Ah Ha!

So just to dip my toes in the water if BPC (sorta) I bought one cheap and got it today. The dumb thing weighs a lot more than I expected and seems to be built fairly well. I does have plastic knobs but the pots turn with a quality feel. It was just a bit dusty inside and everything else works perfectly, none of the controls need cleaning either.

Right now I have it running in my dining room on FM with some small Polk TSX110s to shake it down. I have noticed that a lot of the stuff from the 80s sounded just fine, but were hard to fix if not impossible. This unit seems to be like that. It freaking sounds great and its not dead yet. This will be one I just might keep until it dies then part it out.

And also the usual question: Who knows who made these units in Japan for RS?

20190117_170046.jpg 20190117_173524.jpg 20190117_193146.jpg 20190117_173708.jpg 20190118_122231.jpg 20190118_121139.jpg 20190118_114800.jpg 20190118_114745.jpg 20190118_114703.jpg 20190118_114545.jpg

Brought the 2600 into the bedroom ro play with the Imperial 6. The combination of low 90s sensitive and 100 watts means ear splitting spls. Neither the receiver or speakers show the bit of stress either.

20190118_191244.jpg

I too have been on a Realistic kick lately after I found a Sta-47 at a flea market for $5 a few months ago.I hadn't a Realistic receiver in about eight years since I stupidly sold a STA 2250 that my brother gave me.He had bought new in the early 80s.It sounded just as good as any 70s receiver I had at the time .It only went because I couldn't keep it all and I was under the false impression that Realistics were not of the same caliber of the mainstream makes.The STA-47 reminded me how nice sounding these receivers really are.I started looking on ebay but then realized I don't want to buy another receiver (not at ebay prices) so I decided on this SA1000.It was in decent shape and had a staticy channel that cleared up with some deoxit.I haven't put it through its paces yet but was going to compare the Realistic 50 wpc against a Kenwood KA6100 50 wpc amp.I'll always pick up a Realistic receiver if the price is right.Even the odd 80s styling is cool with me.I have a nice set of Optimus Mach 3 that after a refoam I'm going to push them with a 150 wpc B&K 507.There is the Nova 8s that I haven't used for a bit but I heard enough of them to keep.I gave a very nice set of Realistic T-120 speakers to my brother.I couldn't sell them on craigslist for $100 so after a few months I said to hell with it and just kept then gave away.They were a very nice refoamed working set but I don't know if the name scared people off.Its not the same as Pioneer ,Sansui and Marantz but for those in the know its a better deal and they give up nothing on build quality in my experience.Also Minimus 7.Hard to believe the build quality for such a small speaker at its price point.Most of these are file pics.

Attachments

• realistic.jpg
    realistic.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 146
  • mach 3.jpg
    mach 3.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 127
  • mach3.2.jpg
    mach3.2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 120
  • mach3.3.jpg
    mach3.3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 123
  • realsitic 2250.jpg
    realsitic 2250.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.23.2018 102.jpg
    2.23.2018 102.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 122
  • sta47.jpg
    sta47.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 134
  • minimus 7.jpg
    minimus 7.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 126
I have the 2600, bought it new back in the 80's. Not their best effort for sure. Older models built better, sound better. It's listed as 100 watts but is more like 60.

If you like that, you'll really like some of their others.

To answer your question on who the Japanese manufacture was it more than likely was Foster Electronics but I can't say for sure.

We tend to make a lot of negative digs around here regarding 80's gear, especially the receivers. There were some outstanding separates made in the 80's. Yamaha separates come to mind. I bought a Pioneer SX-6 receiver which I think was circa 1981-82 for 10.00. Of course it didn't have the weight or bulk of a Pioneer 45watt/ch receiver of the 70's so I didn't expect much. I was quite surprised how good that unit sounded and the digital FM was quite good.

I love the styling of the 2600 and it has a nice heat sink. I think you did good!

I too have been on a Realistic kick lately after I found a Sta-47 at a flea market for $5 a few months ago.I hadn't a Realistic receiver in about eight years since I stupidly sold a STA 2250 that my brother gave me.He had bought new in the early 80s.It sounded just as good as any 70s receiver I had at the time .It only went because I couldn't keep it all and I was under the false impression that Realistics were not of the same caliber of the mainstream makes.The STA-47 reminded me how nice sounding these receivers really are.I started looking on ebay but then realized I don't want to buy another receiver (not at ebay prices) so I decided on this SA1000.It was in decent shape and had a staticy channel that cleared up with some deoxit.I haven't put it through its paces yet but was going to compare the Realistic 50 wpc against a Kenwood KA6100 50 wpc amp.I'll always pick up a Realistic receiver if the price is right.Even the odd 80s styling is cool with me.I have a nice set of Optimus Mach 3 that after a refoam I'm going to push them with a 150 wpc B&K 507.There is the Nova 8s that I haven't used for a bit but I heard enough of them to keep.I gave a very nice set of Realistic T-120 speakers to my brother.I couldn't sell them on craigslist for $100 so after a few months I said to hell with it and just kept then gave away.They were a very nice refoamed working set but I don't know if the name scared people off.Its not the same as Pioneer ,Sansui and Marantz but for those in the know its a better deal and they give up nothing on build quality in my experience.Also Minimus 7.Hard to believe the build quality for such a small speaker at its price point.Most of these are file pics.

Nice! All good looking stuff! I found I missed not having add least Realistic receiver.

I have the 2600, bought it new back in the 80's. Not their best effort for sure. Older models built better, sound better. It's listed as 100 watts but is more like 60.

If you like that, you'll really like some of their others.

This is the newest Realistic have owned. I have owned about 10 other 70s models and although the knobs are plastic it is actually built pretty well compared to the others. I have it hooked to my Marantz Imperial 6s from my main rig and it gets just as loud as the 125 wpc that my Marantz 250 puts through them. It wont be worth repairing when it breaks down but it still has some life left in it. That it has only 60wpc is BS.

To answer your question on who the Japanese manufacture was it more than likely was Foster Electronics but I can't say for sure.

We tend to make a lot of negative digs around here regarding 80's gear, especially the receivers. There were some outstanding separates made in the 80's. Yamaha separates come to mind. I bought a Pioneer SX-6 receiver which I think was circa 1981-82 for 10.00. Of course it didn't have the weight or bulk of a Pioneer 45watt/ch receiver of the 70's so I didn't expect much. I was quite surprised how good that unit sounded and the digital FM was quite good.

I love the styling of the 2600 and it has a nice heat sink. I think you did good!

I think the main difference is that they were not built to be easily repaired. They sound good, then when they crap out just part them out.

I have the Realistic STA-2500 that I picked up at a thrift store years ago for $15, but has since been replaced by my 1989 Fisher RS-Z1 that’s,”not the same as everything else.”
BCA5C73B-02FE-4642-A6C4-01FD1EB67065.jpegEBB62864-A188-47B5-A797-26504BE3B31F.jpeg1696B57D-D86C-42E2-944D-5AE1F56125CE.jpeg

Okay, back to being Realistic.
That radio shack unit has some serious horsepower for a vintage receiver. 100wpc, midrange tone controls, and some substantial weight. It was Radio Shack’s TOTL receiver in 1985. It actually triggered me to get back into this audiophile hobby/addiction about 6 months ago after pulling it out of my laundry room, where sat on a shelf for years and me not realizing it was actually a very good receiver. I was impressed with the Realistic’s ability to easily play my 4 ohm B&W DM640i tower speakers at decent a volume without running out steam. It’s a keeper in my books.

28B47840-B4EB-40C4-B6CE-C9A859E36FFA.jpeg
74367FDB-AAD9-47A1-82B6-99FCC8B6083C.jpeg 37747375-2694-4216-A471-8EC4CF652032.jpeg 5515D84A-8753-4BD3-A00A-90CCE19D03EF.jpeg

Last edited:
STA-2080 from last summer. I enjoyed it while it was here.

VFzgu1x.jpg

I have the Realistic STA-2500 that I picked up at a thrift store years ago for $15, but has since been replaced by my 1989 Fisher RS-Z1 that’s,”not the same as everything else.”
View attachment 1391755View attachment 1391778View attachment 1391760

Okay, back to being Realistic.
That radio shack unit has some serious horsepower for a vintage receiver. 100wpc, midrange tone controls, and some substantial weight. It was Radio Shack’s TOTL receiver in 1985. It actually triggered me to get back into this audiophile hobby/addiction about 6 months ago after pulling it out of my laundry room, where sat on a shelf for years and me not realizing it was actually a very good receiver. I was impressed with the Realistic’s ability to easily play my 4 ohm B&W DM640i tower speakers at decent a volume without running out steam. It’s a keeper in my books.

View attachment 1391744
View attachment 1391740 View attachment 1391741 View attachment 1391742

I was surprised they are rated for 4 ohm as well. Most BPC stuff from the 80s was not.

Driving my Imperial 6s it will make your eyelids flutter! I have been playing it for a few days now And I really like it.

Well worth the $100 I paid for it.

I have seen one thread where the OP had evidence of Foster manufacturing a receiver. Its was a serial number on a board, I think.
I believe the receiver was the STA-2000.

I have seen a thread where evidence was given for a source of Allied for one receiver, based on the layout of the buttons, switches, etc.
IIRC it was one of the black-faced early 70s models with the dual channel volume controls (STA-65, 120, or 180 maybe?)

They probably used a variety of manufacturers. It would make good business sense to do so.
As far as I am concerned, if it looks and sounds good, it is good.

Some of the RS stuff was made in South Korea.
My STA-430 was marked Korea, and it sounded fantastic.
It was just 10 W/ch, but you could not tell from the way it drove speakers.
It was really strong at reasonable volume levels.

I still have an STA-90.
The amp is great after a complete refurbishment, but the tuner still has problems that new caps and transistors did not help.
I rotate it into the living room system, but rarely.
Because of its size and weight it lives near the bottom of the stack of receivers in the corner of my dining room.
I don't get that far down the pile often.

I run Optimus 5B's in the living room along with a set of Minimus 7s, which gives a bit more emphasis to the highs and add a bit if spaciousness to the sound of the system.
I run Optimus 1's in my bedroom.
Great speakers, both.

I have turned my nose up to the 1980's push button dominated models several times because I was focused on 70's equipment.
I am surely poorer for it.

Now if I can just find a good, working tuner board for the STA-90 it would go back into use.

I have seen one thread where the OP had evidence of Foster manufacturing a receiver. Its was a serial number on a board, I think.
I believe the receiver was the STA-2000.

I have seen a thread where evidence was given for a source of Allied for one receiver, based on the layout of the buttons, switches, etc.
IIRC it was one of the black-faced early 70s models with the dual channel volume controls (STA-65, 120, or 180 maybe?)

They probably used a variety of manufacturers. It would make good business sense to do so.
As far as I am concerned, if it looks and sounds good, it is good.

Some of the RS stuff was made in South Korea.
My STA-430 was marked Korea, and it sounded fantastic.
It was just 10 W/ch, but you could not tell from the way it drove speakers.
It was really strong at reasonable volume levels.

I still have an STA-90.
The amp is great after a complete refurbishment, but the tuner still has problems that new caps and transistors did not help.
I rotate it into the living room system, but rarely.
Because of its size and weight it lives near the bottom of the stack of receivers in the corner of my dining room.
I don't get that far down the pile often.

I run Optimus 5B's in the living room along with a set of Minimus 7s, which gives a bit more emphasis to the highs and add a bit if spaciousness to the sound of the system.
I run Optimus 1's in my bedroom.
Great speakers, both.

I have turned my nose up to the 1980's push button dominated models several times because I was focused on 70's equipment.
I am surely poorer for it.

Now if I can just find a good, working tuner board for the STA-90 it would go back into use.

I believe most of the Japanese made items were made by Foster. Some was made by Hitachi as well like my STA 85.

I have been listening to my 2600 steady since I got it and I am really impressed. I hooked up me newly rebuilt KLH 6s and wow they shine with that much power.

Yes the 2600 is BPC and when it does it will get tossed........but while it lasts it sounds damn good.

I found a screaming deal locally on some Optimus 5s. I generally like Realistic Nova and Optimus speakers (and other people do as well as I just had as set of Nova 7s stolen out of the back of my wagon) and I am really curious to see if the the woofer in these is too big for the cabinet. One can tell RS wanted this to be a KLH 5 competitor.

024.jpg

I pick them up tomorrow.

00j0j_eV82sH0KccE_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_eV35mnAlHYT_1200x900.jpg

RS = the prefect garage gear. I have a STA 47 in my garage with matching MC 1000 speakers. Not exactly a barn buster, but it sure pulls in stations well and it just screams of 70's nostalgia. The speakers have updated drivers and have had the walnut veneer cleaned up and refinished. They are a nice little set. I have passed on a couple RS receivers, 1 to my sister and 1 to a good friend. STA 84 and STA 82 and they were both blown away at how underrated they were. To me the tubby sound is the closest thing there is to the sound of our old RCA console tube stereo. And I still love my minimus 7's.

I found a screaming deal locally on some Optimus 5s. I generally like Realistic Nova and Optimus speakers (and other people do as well as I just had as set of Nova 7s stolen out of the back of my wagon) and I am really curious to see if the the woofer in these is too big for the cabinet. One can tell RS wanted this to be a KLH 5 competitor.

024.jpg

I pick them up tomorrow.

00j0j_eV82sH0KccE_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_eV35mnAlHYT_1200x900.jpg

I recently sold my Nova 8's and 8b's but kept the Nova 6's. The 6's are a great speaker for smaller listening areas and provide great bass response for an 8" woofer. Since I run KLH 5's as my main speakers I can tell you the 8's and 8b's both match up very well against the 5's but are just a bit "mushy" in the bass department especially at lower volumes. If anything the 8's might actually dig a little deeper than the KLH 5's. Looks like the Optimas 5's are basically the same speaker as the Nova 8's. Look forward to hearing your impression of them.

I recently sold my Nova 8's and 8b's but kept the Nova 6's. The 6's are a great speaker for smaller listening areas and provide great bass response for an 8" woofer. Since I run KLH 5's as my main speakers I can tell you the 8's and 8b's both match up very well against the 5's but are just a bit "mushy" in the bass department especially at lower volumes. If anything the 8's might actually dig a little deeper than the KLH 5's. Looks like the Optimas 5's are basically the same speaker as the Nova 8's. Look forward to hearing your impression of them.

I am a huge Nova 6 fan and have another set inbound. I have some other 8in two ways I love: Marantz Imperial 5s and Sansui SP70s.

I will listen to the 5s and decide if I should recap them. I have A25s, Imperial 6s, KLH 6s to compare them to......I have more but those are the closest in size. I am more of a two way guy but I could not pass up a good set of $40.

Back
Top Bottom