Lets see all them Amplifiers!

20180206_200759.jpg 20180207_225640.jpg 20180206_211219.jpg 20180206_200448.jpg 20180206_200454.jpg 20180218_213631.jpg

I know everyone has "the best amp ever" and have come across "the deal of a lifetime" and for me this is it.

Picked for $20, cleaned the chassis, replaced the power cord, washed out the pots, added an output jack to convert it to a guitar amp and repaired an input jack installed by the previous owner back in the `70s.

Bottom line - sweet and powerful vintage 1950s Newcomb E-25. Will never get rid of this one! Going to get it recapped soon before something bad happens...

DOD Grind-IT. I took out the 15W 8" speaker and upgraded it with a 10" Eminence 100W Alpha.P3270151.JPG P3270154.JPG

Last edited:
Wow! So many cool old amps in this thread.

Here's a little Newcomb AV-10 record player amp the I converted to an old Gibson circuit. Something like a Kalamazoo or Lancer. Rockin' little amp. (Long thread so sorry if I already posted this).

003.JPG 005.JPG

Last edited:
I repurposed a solid state Fender bass amp cab for my harp amp. It’s a Lone Wolf clone amp with a Vintage 47, 6x9. I used Baltic birch for the baffle.
I CNC engraved the front panel myself. Feel like a proud parent Lol!
Cabinet weighs a little too much so I’ll likely buy a new cab someday.6345E4F4-2A5E-4797-A23A-89C29E175252.jpeg BC3C71DE-CC9E-4C7D-828D-80FB6AB22560.jpeg

Wow! So many cool old amps in this thread.

Here's a little Newcomb AV-10 record player amp the I converted to an old Gibson circuit. Something like a Kalamazoo or Lancer. Rockin' little amp. (Long thread so sorry if I already posted this).

View attachment 1332156
Nice! Those old Newcombs have some quality parts in them. I've got 3 or 4 around here.
BTW, Is that a 3/4 sized Squier Strat next to it? Looks quite compact.

Good call. It's a late '80s Squier Bullet. My first electric. My wife got it for me from a pawn shop as a Christmas gift about 25 years ago. I've cherished it ever since.

Last edited:
Good call. It's a late '80s Squier Bullet. My first electric. My wife got it for me from a pawn shop as a Christmas gift about 25 years ago. I've cherished it ever since.
Actually I didn't realize that Squier made a 3/4 body in a full scale. I'm a big fan of compact guitar bodies.
Though I love the sound of the BIG guys especially the semi-hollow, they always seemed a bit bulky to me.
a while back I picked up a couple 3/4 sized short scale Squier Strat bodies on eBay, added a full size neck to one of them and really love how comfortable it is to hold.
I was also surprised I didn't need to modify the bridge as everything seemed to fall in place perfectly.

Pardon the dust, ...I'm all about "function":music:. Oh yeah, kinda lazy about some things also, going to sell this house also so kind of in the middle of a move. It was one of my happy moments, see that Fender amp?, I bought that at an estate sale for $5, ....and it was the second day of the sale!, I couldn't believe it. It looked terrible though, says "fender elect. instrument co." so I think it's from around 1961/2. I covered it myself, never had done anything like but it turned out OK. I had to spend approx $300 on it in parts and I let a vintage guitar store here in the Austin area get it going. It worked when I got it home but I could tell it didn't sound like it should. I also have a Fender Prosonic, good amp but I give it no time as you can see, I'm not in a band, just keep it here at the house. The ProSonic is practically new as far as use goes. Have the little Gallien Krueger with the old Fender, I turn the Fender and the GK on at the same time. To me, each is missing something the other has.
gjXlfcP.jpg

GCOQEy1.jpg

rft4PmS.jpg

Kind of an impulse buy. Battery operated, 2 watts, reverb, delay, chorus, gain, thirty buck's and a blast to play!

001.JPG

Last edited:
A friend brought this over for me to work on. Gibson GA-20 RVT. It has a really nice spring reverb. The tremolo isn't working but I think I can fix that. It has the original foot pedal, which fits into a bracket inside the cab for storage. Super clean. This amp is really bright. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or if needs some work. As is, it's nice for surfy tones and trebly slide.

014.JPG

Last edited:
MarshallSuperLead.jpg

Here's the latest addition to the flock...a 1974 Super Lead/1959. It was modded by "the guy" back in the day...Jose @ ARRCO. The extra gain stage is a nice addition to the amp; its like having a really good sounding distortion pedal built into the amp. Love this beast!
Its pretty beat, but I couldn't pass @ $150 :D

MarshallSuperLead_Jose.jpg

A friend brought this over for me to work on. Gibson GA-20 RVT. It has a really nice spring reverb. The tremolo isn't working but I think I can fix that. It has the original foot pedal, which fits into a bracket inside the cab for storage. Super clean. This amp is really bright. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or if needs some work. As is, it's nice for surfy tones and trebly slide.

View attachment 1389815

That thing is clean! o_O

View attachment 1389815
MarshallSuperLead.jpg

Here's the latest addition to the flock...a 1974 Super Lead/1959. It was modded by "the guy" back in the day...Jose @ ARRCO. The extra gain stage is a nice addition to the amp; its like having a really good sounding distortion pedal built into the amp. Love this beast!
Its pretty beat, but I couldn't pass @ $150 :D

View attachment 1390074

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT??? An original '74 Super Lead for $150??? :yikes: How did you score one for $150??? :confused::confused::confused:

"That thing is clean!"

Yeah, super clean. Solid 1/2 " pine cab. Kind of a mess inside though. Apparently Gibson had some serious quality control issues in that era.

"That thing is clean!"

Yeah, super clean. Solid 1/2 " pine cab. Kind of a mess inside though. Apparently Gibson had some serious quality control issues in that era.

Yeah, they weren't the best construction-wise. Some models had some weird electrical designs and just getting the chassis out of some of them is a real pain in the ass. Good luck with yours. Some of them can really rip after a good restoration.

Back
Top Bottom