Lets See All Them Axes

I like the SG And LP ,the relicked PRS...not so much..
Lol yeah, there aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. For what it’s worth it was a kit guitar that was ‘b stock’. It had some pretty bad flaws and I couldn’t settle on a paint job. This is a really good guitar for when you’re headed off to a jam session that involves a lot of booze.

Please excuse the worn out couch ( :oops: ), but I just took a few pics of my 1968 SG Standard for another thread I created here in the "Musical Instruments" sub-forum. You can read more details about this guitar on page 59 of this thread though.

IMG_0554.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG

Looke like it had a Bigsby or the Gibson Vibrola trem at some point.Very cool!

Yeah, it once had the standard Gibson SG "lyre" vibrola. It was converted to a Stop tail by a previous owner. I like the look of this guitar, although I'd like to replace the non-original bridge and tailpiece with better quality aged nickel pieces. After mid-'65, SG's didn't come with nickel hardware from the factory, but I just prefer the look of nickel and how it ages. It wouldn't be "period" correct", but with the condition this guitar, I am more concerned with how it suits its overall look. I think aged nickel parts better suit the rest of the hardware, as well as the overall stripped and worn look of the guitar. I also may eventually change the pickups, which are not original either. When I bought the guitar 11 years ago it had original Dimarzio Distortion pickups in it, but I immediately installed Wolfetone Marshallhead P.A.F.-style pickups in it. They're alright, but I am kind of wanting something a little different now.

Last edited:
Please excuse the worn out couch ( :oops: ), but I just took a few pics of my 1968 SG Standard for another thread I created here in the "Musical Instruments" sub-forum. You can read more details about this guitar on page 59 of this thread though.

View attachment 1089130
View attachment 1089131
View attachment 1089132

Nice looking Axe Eywadude, but where`s the tail piece ?
I see the screw holes for it, so it was there at one time..
My, now long gone, same exact guitar that I bought from for $125.00, my HS friend in 1970 had the tail piece with a high E string violin small tweaking chrome tuning knob installed in it and a crack in the headstock a long the high string tuning pegs side from my friend whom I bought it from after he dropped it( probably trying to emulate Pete Townsend`s guitar theatrics tossing)..

The best sounding slide guitar that I ever owned when I was able to physically play..
She "rang & sang" !!

I wish she was in my vintage guitar/amp collection, but sadly after I gave her to another exceptionally talented, but poor, guitar playing friend in 1973 he left it in a recording studio over night, which was broken into an stolen a long with a bunch of other items..

Thanks for the good memories from your pic.

Here is one I built back in '04. A bit road worn on the back side....but still a pretty bass!

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0161.JPG
    100_0161.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0162.JPG
    100_0162.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 71
Nice looking Axe Eywadude, but where`s the tail piece ?
I see the screw holes for it, so it was there at one time..
My, now long gone, same exact guitar that I bought from for $125.00, my HS friend in 1970 had the tail piece with a high E string violin small tweaking chrome tuning knob installed in it and a crack in the headstock a long the high string tuning pegs side from my friend whom I bought it from after he dropped it( probably trying to emulate Pete Townsend`s guitar theatrics tossing)..

The best sounding slide guitar that I ever owned when I was able to physically play..
She "rang & sang" !!

I wish she was in my vintage guitar/amp collection, but sadly after I gave her to another exceptionally talented, but poor, guitar playing friend in 1973 he left it in a recording studio over night, which was broken into an stolen a long with a bunch of other items..

Thanks for the good memories from your pic.

The original "lyre" vibrola was removed by a previous owner and it didn't come with the guitar when I bought it in 2007. One could assume that when it was taken off it was either sold, thrown away, installed on another guitar, or it is still sitting in some guy's basement/garage/attic all these years later. Who knows? :dunno:

That's cool about your old '70 SG. I am sorry to hear it was stolen though. That's such a shame. Your old SG sort of sounds a bit like the 1965 SG Standard I used to have. It was the most toneful and resonant guitar I have ever owned or played, let alone even heard. It was an absolute tone monster. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I was forced to sell it though. Something that still haunts me to this day. :(

The only recording I have found that even comes close to the sound of it is in the live recording in the video below (starting around the 1:16 mark). Like audio equipment, tone is subjective, but this is pretty similar to what it sounded like when I used to play it through my buddy's 1970 Marshall JMP 50 watt head:

Luckily, my '68 SG has survived without any breaks or cracks at all though. It's still physically in pretty good shape other than the stripped finish and the worn frets. I love it the way it is though. I actually prefer the look of it over a cherry finished SG of the same era with the large "batwing" pickguard. But that's just me. :p

And no worries about the pics. You're welcome. :)

Last edited:
The original "lyre" vibrola was removed by a previous owner and it didn't come with the guitar when I bought it in 2007. One could assume that when it was taken off it was either sold, thrown away, or it is still sitting in some guy's basement/garage/attic all these years later. Who knows? :dunno:

That's cool about your old '70 SG. I am sorry to hear it was stolen though. That's such a shame. Your old SG sort of sounds a bit like the 1965 SG Standard I used to have. It was the most toneful and resonant guitar I have ever owned or played, let alone even heard. It was an absolute tone monster. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to sell it though and it still haunts me to this day. :(

The only recording I have found that even comes close to the sound of it is the video below (starting around the 1:16 mark). Like audio equipment, tone is subjective, but this is pretty much what it sounded like when I used to play it through my buddy's 1970 Marshall JMP 50 watt head:

It was a 1968 Standard with Cherry finish just like your picture(hence the memory trigger), I bought it used with the head stock cracked in 1970..
My HS Sophomore Wood Shop teacher came up with the suggestion of mixing slightly watered down carpenter glue and fine powdered hard wood dust mixture injected with a hypodermic medium sized needle into the split while the split was slightly spread, and then clamped to dry for 2 days..
No more tuning drift afterwards..

My guitar playing friend who sold it to me, that was in the same Wood shop class that I was in, regretted selling it to me so cheap after he saw the repair with only a hair line crack and played it afterwards, but a deal was a deal.

And through my friend`s 1969/70 small box original Mullard tubed 50 watt Marshall through his slant 4X12 tall type Marshall cab, the tone was fat and very rich sounding("sonic woody"!!) without taking your head off.

Luckily my '68 SG survived without any breaks or cracks around the headstock though. It's still physically in pretty good shape other than the stripped finish and the worn frets. I love it the way it is though. I actually prefer the look of it over a cherry SG of the same era with the "batwing" large pickguard. But that's just me. :p

And no worries about the pics. You're welcome. :)

Last edited:
I have heard that the vibrola really knocked the guitar out of tune if used so many were removed.

Well, in reality, while they certainly did have tuning issues, it wasn't actually the design of the vibrola at all. It had to do with the fact that the saddles in the Tune-O-Matic bridge were never designed for use with a vibrola/tremolo system. The strings tend to bind in the saddle's knife-edged grooves with the use of such a system. Even the plastic saddles of the era and the decreased string angle of the vibrola system isn't enough to keep the strings from binding. Under normal playing with a regular Stop tailpiece this is a non-issue. But with the use of a vibrola, the strings get pulled back and forth through the slots of the Tune-O-Matic's saddles and get stuck, putting the strings out of tune. If you have a Gibson with a vibrola system, try replacing the Tune-O-Matic bridge with a direct-fit roller system. This, along with proper lube of the nut slots with Nut Sauce or graphite (an absolute must for any Gibson guitar), will make any tuning issues with a vibrola system disappear.

Last edited:
Yes my Squier Strat does have tuning issues when the trem is used.I will try roller string trees and add graphite to the nut.

Quick question: Through which years was the Marshall JMP 50 manufactured with the Z-mount power transformer?This is the type that mounts through a large cutout in the chassis. I have one on the bench being resurrected at the moment,and there is some discussion about what year it could be.

Back
Top Bottom