Let's see your cans!

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by cmb3366, Sep 20, 2009.

1. SoundOfSound

SoundOfSound Super Member

2. Wildcat

Wildcat ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Recent arrival--the Oppo PM-3 planars. Certainly the most comfortable (and expensive) I've ever owned! Very smooth and detailed sound also, especially on classical. Now I just need to up my amplification game, and figure out something for a portable rig. But for now, the headphone output on the 105 will have to do. (And headphones at this level show how lousy the outputs on smartphones, tablets and computers are...)

IMG_20170208_214408-01.jpg

janikphoto, atarione, boza and 3 others like this.
  3. cratz2

cratz2 Super Member

A new pic of the Woodtones. I haven't fully made up my mind about them. Their build quality doesn't inspire confidence but while they work, I've been extremely impressed, esp for the price. A bit of bass boost, pretty involving mids and a laid back treble that, while not the last word in detail, rarely offends.

[​IMG]

atarione and boza like this.
  4. eddieavpro

eddieavpro New Member

5. janikphoto

janikphoto Lunatic Member

I have some pro-4a headphones that sound pleasant, but they sure do hurt my head! It feels like a vise has been tightened down on me! I just ordered new pads and I'll see if I can bend them a bit to reduce the exerted pressure. We'll see.

cratz2 and 1984_C10 like this.
  6. 1984_C10

1984_C10 Active Member

I'm still curious to see how the 4AAs sound, i ended up posting a thread and actually buying them, but the store claimed they didn't have them on stock (the last one they had suffered water damage or something like that) so they gave me two option, either choose another headphone on stock or have my money back.
    Next thing i know i have a box with a Creative Aurvana Live 2 arriving at my house, it was weird nobody mentioned those for me because they seem to be just what i was looking for as far as sound goes, i'm very happy with those!

cratz2 likes this.
  7. 1984_C10

1984_C10 Active Member

Here are my new cans, the Creative Aurvana Live 2.
    I frankly have to say, these were just what i was looking for, they have a strong yet not exaggerated bass that i really enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    I only have one slight issue with those that is the recessed 2.5mm plug on the cup.
    It comes a with a not so great 1.2m cable that is way too short, and i tried to make a cable for it with good Philips wire and a couple of Santo Angelo connectors, but the end that was supposed to go on the headphones didn't fit due to the recessed plug. I guess i'll have to wait the slow boat from China to bring a longer cable that will fit on it...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    cratz2 and boza like this.
  8. Jickmagger

Jickmagger New Member

[​IMG]

My favourites at the moment.
    Two pairs of Grado´s fantastic sounding GH1 model.
    One for the living room and one in the basement.
    I was fed up with not knowing where one was when I wanted to listen. ;-)

Regards
    Jick

9. JamVal

JamVal Well-Known Member

Pioneer SE-20A (1969-1972) , GW thrift store find today. They sound OK.
    SE20a02.jpg

10. Technics-goy

Technics-goy Member

[​IMG]

here are mine

11. 1984_C10

1984_C10 Active Member

Finally got the new chinese cables i ordered for the Aurvana.
    I don't know what sort of wire they used to make this cable, but if the headphone already had bass , now they are absolute cannons, definetly a basshead device.

A piece of information for those thinking about buying one of these: any cable made for the Sennheiser 518 and similar should fit.

12. RamblinE

RamblinE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Subscriber

My partner's father this morning told me about how he's been headphone amp shopping so that he can use the 600 ohm AKG K140s that unrestored for him for Christmas with his iPad. He was looking specifically at the PA2v2. He's between jobs so I told him to hang on because I may have something for him that's just collecting dust. After work today I out this together
    20170320_154729.jpg

Thats an old American made Headroom Total Airhead portable amp circa 2003. Plugged into wall power it's driving these K240 Monitors well enough. His K140s should do fine. I tried some hip-hop earlier with DJ Shadow and now I'm trying Jazz at the Pawnshop. I can't wait to take this over to him! He'll just need some Velcro to stick it to his shelf and a longer 3.5 male to male for plugging in his iPad.

13. cratz2

cratz2 Super Member

Not many folks mention DJ Shadow and Jazz at The Pawnshop in the same sentence around here.

I like it. :beerchug:

RamblinE likes this.
  14. RamblinE

RamblinE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Subscriber

DJ Shadow is so damn 3-D sounding on headphones. And jazz at the pawnshop is a great listen for testing natural tone and timbre.

cratz2 likes this.
  15. cratz2

cratz2 Super Member

Oh, I hear ya and I agree.

Seeing posts like that make me feel less weird about following Slayer's Reign In Blood with Rachmaninoff's Bogorotitse Devo.

RamblinE likes this.
  16. highend64

highend64 Active Member

Tascam TH-200X sound pretty darn good.

IMG_1672.JPG

17. RDecartridge

RDecartridge "I hear, therefore I am" Subscriber

Parrot Zik stereo headphones, Bluetooth enabled and noise cancelling
    00o0o_5FKgLQ8EDZL_600x450.jpg

18. MrRogers385

MrRogers385 New Member

1490297096006575056155.jpg M40s have been good to me. I do miss the heavy bass from my brother's MDR-V700DJs. Perhaps I should of forked up another 50 bucks or so for the M50s. Oh well:)