Let's see your cans!

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by cmb3366, Sep 20, 2009.

1. haggy38

haggy38 Active Member

Nothing beats a vintage headphone set......

image2.jpeg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. audiodactic

audiodactic New Member

F82720F9-B574-453C-9A5C-6BA3EA20D747.jpeg My RS2e :music: also, I drink way too much wine...

Technics-goy, boza, ajward549 and 2 others like this.
  3. ajward549

ajward549 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Original pair of Grados going to good use

A312C189-051E-43E4-A0A3-7B184ECAE5CC.jpeg

4. imral3

imral3 Super Member

5. dondoucette

dondoucette Too Many Projects Subscriber

I’ve had a pair of Realistic PRO-60 headphones since the mid 80’s when I worked at Radio Shack. My friends thought I was nuts spending what was then almost 20% of my 2 week income on a pair of headphones.
    B0F22AF1-2ACD-4341-B97D-57F7D940606C.jpeg

Over the years the foam eventually turned to goo and I attempted home made replacements that worked OK I guess but eventually I packed them away and forgot about them.

Recently while performing an archeological dig through some boxes in my basement I found my old headphones, I brought them upstairs and plugged them in, yep still work. On the Koss website I ordered a few different replacement pads to try, they were all too small and nothing like the originals. I took some measurements and logged on to that auction site, again I ordered a bunch of different pads to try well I’ll be damned if one of the sets worked so well I’ve been using them exclusively for the past 2 weeks. The new pads are very comfortable, seal nicely around my ear, don’t cause any discomfort at all and keep my ear from touching the headphone.

Not the most incredible headphone ever made, certainly not for critical listening, specs have probably changed a lot over the 30+ years I’ve had them but for sheer comfort I can’t beat these right now.
    96E3DB6C-09D0-438B-9191-2FAD09D75546.jpeg B750D7C0-5C79-4BBD-BFB7-AEC6EFCD9893.jpeg

6. Stephen77

Stephen77 New Member

My Focal Clear's are my pride & joy. I've never heard better sound ever. Words do no justice. Well worth $1,500. My Sennheiser 650 HD's are truly magnificent legends too.

7. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

This thread is named incorrectly. It should be "Show us your cans!"

Now my inner bogan has expressed itself, these are the headphones I currently own, downloaded images though:

Monoprice Monolith M1060C
    images.jpeg

Monoprice Monolith M1060
    images (4).jpeg

Monoprice Monolith M560
    images (1).jpeg

AKG K712 Pro
    images (2).jpeg

Symphonised Wraith 2.0
    images (3).jpeg

The M1060C's are easily the best I've heard, and the Symphonised Wraith 2.0 the worst of those listed. The AKG's are certainly better than the standard M1060 though not the C. I haven't yet received the M560's though am looking forward to doing so :)

I actually found the M1060 a bit muddy though I think it may be a poor match for my Darkvoice 336SE headphone amp. It showed enough promise for me to acquire the C's though which are a much better match.

boza, cratz2, judsonw and 2 others like this.
  8. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

Seeing praise for the M1060C's makes me tempted. I am looking for good closed backs for work. I love my etymotic HF5s that I currently use, but the Fulla 2 has too much power; I have a very small region of the volume knob to work with before it gets too loud. However, looking at the M1060C's specs show that its optimal power is 1 W, which is more than the Fulla can provide.

I have been thinking about Audio Technical ATH-M70x because I do like neutral sounding headphones (love my HD600s for home use). I know people seem to prefer the M50x, but there are people who prefer the HD650s for the same reason.

mjw21a likes this.
  9. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

I must say that initially the M1060C were a little mid scooped though that has evened out with use. They are a little bass heavy compared to my AKG's though I don't mind it at all. The hint of warmth makes them smoother and more forgiving without hiding any detail. The texture of sound is clearly defined. Frankly I've never heard better from headphones :)

cratz2 likes this.
  10. Pianist1

Pianist1 Active Member

Sennheiser HD800S and MrSpeaker Aeon (closed back)

[​IMG]

cratz2, CoryS06, boza and 1 other person like this.
  11. JamVal

JamVal Super Member

Yamaha YH-2
    Yamaha_YH-2a.JPG Yamaha_YH-2b.JPG

boza likes this.

12. cheapo_eddy

cheapo_eddy Member

Sennheiser HD598SE. $12 from the Goodwill in evidently unused condition. Easily exceeds my lowbrow auditory discernment. I was initially skeptical of the velour muffs, but after one session with them, I was hooked. Super-comfortable, substantially better frequency response (especially down low) and detail than any of the previous Best Buy crap that these replaced. I hope they still make them when these are worn out.

upload_2018-12-30_20-56-50.png

Nightwisher and boza like this.
  13. genone

genone Active Member

I had HD600s that sounded good but were too tight. Bending the metal arms did nothing to help so I sent them back..I loved the K240s but the bass distorted to easily (55ohm), the old 600 ohm ones I had in the 80s were much better. The HD595 have good bass power and super comfy but are too colored elsewhere. Wanna pull the trigger on current ones like the 712s but I'm getting mixed reactions. Any suggestions?

14. stuartmcc

stuartmcc New Member

Some fabulous headphones on here!....I bought these B&O headphones back in 1982 from Glasgow flea market brand new in the box for £1 yes a quid!...as you can see they've been well used by me and have to say,they sound amazing...probably the cheapest pair of headphones posted on here :music: P1180404.JPG

boza and Nightwisher like this.
  15. stuartmcc

stuartmcc New Member

They not only provide a private world for the person who wants to listen without distraction, they also allow others in the household the freedom to talk - or watch TV - uninhibited by the music.

16. ajward549

ajward549 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Grado GH1 - these get a lot of use while the rest of the family sleeps and I listen in contentment during the early morning hours!

6CEB4D6D-FC3F-4C65-AD6B-9E36A8919C36.jpeg

boza and stuartmcc like this.

17. zoombrewer77

zoombrewer77 Tinnitus Maximus Subscriber

image.jpg Looks like it's been a minute since this thread saw a shame post.

boza and cheapo_eddy like this.
  18. WpurrC

WpurrC New Member

IMG_2740.jpeg IMG_2742.jpeg IMG_2735.jpeg I hadn't bought headphones in many years until last year when I went ape sh*t crazy and bought a few pairs. I was doing fine with the inexpensive AT phones before that. The Sennheiser hd 600s are great for the money, but that finish on them...yikes. The Klipsch are like Halle Berry...gorgeous but not ever going to win an Oscar (I know, she won one, but she shouldn't have...still excellent headphones, though...just very expensive). The HD 800s...that's another story. The comfort alone makes them outstanding. The sound is even better. Does anyone own the lightweight Koss Porta Pros? I would be willing to go out on a limb to state that they are the most timeless of all headphones. They started in the early 80s and are still competent now, and the price is very reasonable. No, they don't compete with the big boys, but they are amazing competitors given the age and price. Ok, that was more than I wanted to share.

IMG_2734.jpeg IMG_2737.jpeg IMG_2738.jpeg IMG_2739.jpeg IMG_2741.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    JamVal, boza and stuartmcc like this.
  19. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

I agree about the HD600 appearance. I live with it knowing that when I wear them, I cannot see them, so it is all good. Eventually want to get HD800 or something else similar, but that is way down on my list of future audio purchases.

20. WpurrC

WpurrC New Member

Given the cost difference between the 600 and 800, I cannot say it's a worthwhile expenditure, but I can say the 800s are easily the best sounding/most comfortable headphones I've tried...and I have not seen a close second. I won't go into all that audiophile hoodoo about sound stage and depth/breadth...blah blah. They just sound great.

judsonw likes this.