Let's see your Fisher gear!

I think that RSSteve lives in Jupiter which is probably less than 1 hour north of Broward. He might know about a place in Broward county. He's got a "bunch" of Fisher gear. In fact I'd like to know if there is a place there too. I've got a son that lives in Ft Lauderdale and it would give me two reasons to visit the county area. (I don't get there much.)

I restore most of all my Fisher gear myself, but there is a place in Lake Worth Florida that has a tech that works on tube equipment.

I restore most of all my Fisher gear myself, but there is a place in Lake Worth Florida that has a tech that works on tube equipment.
Thanks for the info on the tech located in Lake Worth...ill check it out when i return to Fl...in the Fall.

I'm not sure how this will go down?!? but I've literally just bought this on ebay for £22.50 delivered...

s-l1600.jpg

Yes I know, it's one of them ;) In top condition too. I'm looking forward to having a play with this one...

Last edited:
My Fisher 500c unrestored, original with Fisher tubes inside. I think some caps have been replaced, but the filter one is still in there.Works perfectly. Now where do I put it? Does it love dynaco a25 and a turntable for sound?
upload_2018-9-12_20-5-3.jpeg

I've got my Saved Search all set up on eBay...I think it's going to take awhile for the right knobs to pop up. I had a guy in Hong Kong supposedly sending me the right knobs for a 500-B but they turned out to be 500-C parts. I re-Bay'd them and got most of my money out of the deal, less shipping.

Does anyone know much about the history / origins of the Fisher knobs? I see on the back of the plastic parts it says "West Germany". I wonder what company originally made the parts, and if by chance they still have the original tooling for the molds and the bright brass parts? I work for a Germany company myself and I know they rarely throw anything away, especially expensive tooling.
Sounds like my Father who was German and never threw anything away.

The friend of an elderly neighbor passed away and the neighbor knew that I was into "old stereos." They were clearing out the friend's house, since there was no surviving family, and the neighbor called me. If there was anything that I liked, the neighbor and another friend encouraged me to take it away.

When I arrived, I was surprised to find a 500c, an Electro-voice "The Aristocrat" speaker, along with a Technics cassette deck, all of which are now in my possession. The Technics deck is OK but the 500c and the EV speaker are astonishing.

The 500c plays and is in excellent physical shape. It needs a refurb, a kit of which arrived in the mail yesterday. The wood case is in decent shape and has a vent style that I have never seen before on a Fisher. I previously never had any interest in Fisher gear so this is somewhat new territory.

It is sad that the friend passed away but his stereo gear went to someone who knew what it was and could appreciate it, which gave some comfort to his surviving friends.

-Paul
The cat looks mad that you are paying more attention to the equipment that he/she.

Paul,

With care and patience, you can make the 500-C shine, especially the tube shields and capacitors. It looks in fine shape now with just a coating of dust and no stains or spills. Just go very gently on the cadmium-coated chassis, without using any abrasives. You can even make the tuning flywheel gleam, although not as bright as the one on the 500-B. My 500-C looked just like yours before I cleaned it.
What do you clean the chassis with so the lettering stays intact? Mine has sharp lettering all over and even all the stickers inside and the 75 watt on the faceplate. All i need is a few brass caps for the knobs.

I'm not sure how this will go down?!? but I've literally just bought this on ebay for £22.50 delivered...

s-l1600.jpg

Yes I know, it's one of them ;) In top condition too. I'm looking forward to having a play with this one...

In reply to my own post: the amp arrived; pristine.

It would seem people are very down on 1980s Fisher (Sanyo) gear... i’ve picked up on the bad vibes, bad press... ill news, is an ill guest etc.

Well; those opinions, in my opinion are very, very wrong.

This is the best vintage amp i’ve owned: hands down. The sonic clarity is astonishing, it’s awesome.

I’m amazed and the snobbery re 80s Fisher gear. This amp leaves my previous 1970s Pioneer’s for dead, likewise my early 80s Hitachi...

Right; i’m off to listen to more music...

I don't think people are overwhelmingly down on 80's Fisher, I just think the enthusiasm around Fisher on AK is for the earlier units. Start a "Show us your Sanyo Fisher" thread and you'd get plenty of replies.

I don't think people are overwhelmingly down on 80's Fisher, I just think the enthusiasm around Fisher on AK is for the earlier units. Start a "Show us your Sanyo Fisher" thread and you'd get plenty of replies.

Hi, that’s good to read - perhaps that would be a decent thread to start up as i’m interested to read what other contributors think of the Fisher 80s brand?!? I agree comparing the early US high end stuff with it’s 80s cousin is probably not really going to generate much in the way of love for the latter ;) ha ha...

I have, however, read on older threads some very negative generalising re the latter period Fisher gear, hence my interest and trying to track a decent amp down... I remain frankly amazed by what i’m hearing... yep, low expectations oft breed higher returns I know, but it is undeniably brilliant.

I’ll get round to that thread soon... :)

Back
Top Bottom