Let's see your unique Stereo Cabinets and Entertainment Centers!

A-Wall

I need some inspiration! I can only compare this to writers block, I'm trying to come the of the most efficient, stylish and semi unique way to show off my gear and I'm stuck!

I love the minimalist, industrial, retro looks out there.

I'd like to see how you guys with similar taste solved this problem!

Minimalist and industrial I think you would like cinder blocks and wooden planks to make up very basic but sturdy stands for you gear.

Thrift store piece, laminated high quality furniture grade plywood, different colors of wood pieced together. Heavy as a small car, pics don't do it justice. Late 70s, 1980's ? Wish I could find more that match.

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0335.JPG

Couldn't find one that would fit the QRX receiver, so I built my own a while back, and it's still doing what I want it to do. Have shuffled a few equipment changes thru it and so far everything's fit. All the shelves are fixed, so I guess I just got lucky in the planning stages.

system-oct12-001.jpg

All #2 pine, so I think I got around $80 into it including finish. I figure it's holding up around 500 pounds. Let's here it for teflon gliders! <G>

... and Sansui, and Hughes, and Oppo, and Carver, and Mitsubishi, and Maverick, and Bose, and BSR, and ... <G>

Like I say, the cabinet was built to handle a QRX9001 ...

qrx9001-home-system.jpg

... which is suffering a complete rebuild, which explains the 6001 in the first pic. Not bad for a spare, ok.

The 9001 measures a bit over 24" wide. Take a BIG shoehorn to fit it on a standard 18" shelf. On a bright note, that leaves plenty of room for a largish monitor for the HTPC and OPPO. Anyway, some major equipment changes, and the cabinet still works, so I'm happy with it. I was able to retire the Sony cd changer when I built the HTPC, and they swapped out perfectly.

I drive the front speakers with the McIntosh. The Sui receivers have a bunch of power, but the MC2205 has a bunch more.

PS ... your's is a very fine looking piece of furniture. Especially like the detail at the bottom ... I expect there's a solid back behind the drawers to keep it from racking?

Last edited:
Minimalist and industrial I think you would like cinder blocks and wooden planks to make up very basic but sturdy stands for you gear.

That idea has crossed my mind. I'm looking for some thing a little bit more finished tho. I have some modern electronics that I want to hide, PS3, cable box, surround sound receiver etc. I'd have to figure out some sort of doors, or frosted glass to cover those.

On top of this cabinet will go as follows, turntable, tube preamp, MC250 amp, tube phono preamp and then my cd player. I've made my cd player look like it's from the 40's so most people wont even know what it is.

I'm getting a table saw so I might make something from scratch. If I can't find it pre-made.

Maybe something like this, a bit longer and taller with doors.

il_570xN.406087712_b6rj.jpg

I was looking for something that would keep the dust off my components. I found this on CL for $60. It is solid wood, Has a peg board-like back for heat dissipation, and is deep enough to hold the Yamaha CR-1040. Made in Belgium.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 891
  • Picture 1991.jpg
    Picture 1991.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:
Some of my solutions over the years. I don't like stereo racks. I like repurposing other things, or putting the gear on top of a mid-century credenza, or stacking things vertically on a shelf that's away from the speakers. Some of this is just display but I could have easily wired it all up.

IMG_2693.jpg

fishershelf.jpg

roomflash.jpg

bw1-1.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

Some of my solutions over the years. I don't like stereo racks. I like repurposing other things, or putting the gear on top of a mid-century credenza, or stacking things vertically on a shelf that's away from the speakers. Some of this is just display but I could have easily wired it all up.

Holy cow. I love your style. When can I come over for a listen?

I miss living in Chicago.

Holy cow. I love your style. When can I come over for a listen?

I miss living in Chicago.

Come on over! Parking sucks, however. Be warned!

As to the OP's thought of going with the Expedit on its side, its a great solution. Many of us here have done that. When I did it I ended up getting another 2x2 unit to extend the length to nearly the length of the wall behind my speakers. I wanted more space to sit gear on (there was a lot of complexity in this system...biamped, crossovers, etc) and the speakers sounded better with something behind the bass cabinets on the bottom.

IMG_2134.jpg

With a simpler setup, the 2x4 works very nicely, but it doesn't leave much room for TTs.....:

IMG_2297.jpg

My favorite of the Expedit options is the 1x5 laying on its side with the optional wheels. I don't have a great picture of this, but I'm still using it in this system with much less gear, so that it looks more minimal.

IMG_2032.jpg

Sorry, don't mean to take over the thread, its just a subject that I've been pondering for the whole time I've been in the hobby. The George Nelson credenza finally solved my issues...to the point that I think I'm actually going to put my TD-124 in the TT spot originally made for that, under a lift-up cover, on top, so all you'll see is the amp/tuner.

My rack would not be to your taste but I wanted to share what I did. I do not have a dedicated audio room so the rack did need to fit in with my other furniture. I wanted my rack to be made from maple after reading the Mapleshade catalog. I could not afford their racks. A local Amish builder built my rack and it is very solid and heavy. Maple is good at damping resonances and I did notice a reduction in noise. I chose a design and requested modifications and the cherry stained maple rack was affordable. It can also double as another piece of furniture if I have a dedicated room and want more of a vertical stand.

Attachments

• 008 rack smaller.jpg
    008 rack smaller.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 968
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom