LFD owners thread

Jay.Money

Seems to me there's no LFD owners thread here. I don't mean to compete the the "best integrated I've ever heard" thread so forgive me and nuke this if I'm offside.

I just picked up a very gently used MK IV Signature and am very impressed. Can't believe how small it is. Can't believe that it's keeping paces with the Sonic Frontiers separates that it replaced and it's not even run in yet.

It's just simple and right. It might get me off the merry go round.

So if you've got LFD in your rig, speak up!

I have been pondering on getting a used one every time I change gear...

I bought mine unheard, based on reviews. I couldn't find anyone speaking poorly of them (professional reviewer or other). Also, I like Dr Bews approach to the design.

Check them out. They're visually underwhelming but I understand that the rule with British gear is that the uglier it is, the better it sounds. This would support that theory.

Have had anyone compared Naim sound to LFD? Which one is in favour of musicality produced? Hope to hear from someone who used both the gears.

Have had anyone compared Naim sound to LFD? Which one is in favour of musicality produced? Hope to hear from someone who used both the gears.

I think a couple of folks here have. There are quite a number at Pink Fish Media that have. You may want to ask there as well.

I had a pre/power pair. Maybe I should have given it longer than 2 weeks listening before I happily sold it.

This is one of many pics I took (I also have a lot of interior shots of the power amp if anyone is interested...) This was an early LFD, but the power amp topology hasn't really changed in his new ones.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 185
Easily LFD's are amongst the best sounding amps I have heard at any price. And yes, I've heard a LOT of amps.

I picked up a used LFD LE IV a little while ago. Nice amp, and it didn't take me too long to realize the amp has "it".

Must be a few came on the market when guys decided to get a second mortgage and buy a LFD NCSE for almost $7K! (Yikes!)

I'd still like to get a Sonneteer Alabaster in this room and have a little shootout.

Those, and Exposure are sort of hard to come by. Especially used.

Mark

I do use one of the last production LFD Zero LE MK3(.1) with a seperate MM board in same chassis (own trafo).
Now I've had it for 4 years and listen with much pleasure; fine MMstage also.

Now I would like a some more powerful presentation (lowermid region).

I already did a home trial with Exposure 3010s2 and that certainly gave the desired powerful sound, but after 2 days I found it somewhat too full sounding with less 3D, less 'listen/lookthrough' quality and also less involving than I am used to.

I am going to give the Sonneteer Alabaster/MMstage, a few days trial in my setup with Harbeth C7es3 and Cyrus sources.
Will be somewhere in the coming weeks; very curieus, I hope for a fine result, but I don't expect a miracle ;-)

Last edited:
I do use one of the last production LFD Zero LE MK3(.1) with a seperate MM board in same chassis (own trafo).

I already did a home trial with Exposure 3010s2 and that certainly gave the desired powerful sound, but after 2 days I found it somewhat too full sounding with less 3D, less 'listen/lookthrough' quality and also less involving than I am used to.

I am going to give the Sonneteer Alabaster/MMstage, a few days trial in my setup with Harbeth C7es3 and Cyrus sources.
Will be somewhere in the coming weeks; very curieus, I hope for a fine result, but I don't expect a miracle ;-)

This should be interesting. May also want to try Lavardin.

The Exposure 2010S2 is more sweeter/detailed and 3D sounding than the 3010. I have no plans to ever part with my 2010. To ME it is finest sounding amp I have ever heard. Don't get me wrong I do like some other amps out there tube and solid state but for now this does everything I would want an amp to do. Now if I was looking for a different type of speaker instead of a monitor type then there would be another search for an amp to match up with the speakers.

I would really like to hear a LFD amp one of these days. But finding one is like finding genuine Moon rocks brought back from the Apollo missions.

The Exposure 2010S2 is more sweeter/detailed and 3D sounding than the 3010. I have no plans to ever part with my 2010. To ME it is finest sounding amp I have ever heard. Don't get me wrong I do like some other amps out there tube and solid state but for now this does everything I would want an amp to do. Now if I was looking for a different type of speaker instead of a monitor type then there would be another search for an amp to match up with the speakers.

I would really like to hear a LFD amp one of these days. But finding one is like finding genuine Moon rocks brought back from the Apollo missions.

And the 3010S2 is more percussive and rhythmically powerful, while still being exceptionally sweet and grain free. Much more so then the comparable Naims or Sonnateers. But the LFD IV is in a different class again. It really is a lifetime kind of amp. A truly special sounding piece of equipment.

Back
Top Bottom