License plates on American cars...

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by HarmanKardon, Sep 11, 2017.

1. DonC1965

DonC1965 New Member

Front plates are required in Connecticut. My 1965 Barracuda with Commando V8.

IMG_0008.JPG

2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

License plates can be fun ... <G>

[​IMG]

PS ... anybody remember motorcycle front plates?

[​IMG]

HarmanKardon likes this.
  3. relaximus

relaximus Consoles 'Я' Us Subscriber

Indeed they are!

CIMG2241.JPG

Although I've managed to not get stopped with this on our other Jag.

CIMG2357.JPG

20160103_112856.jpg

john111/LZ, HarmanKardon and DonC1965 like this.
  4. cgutz

cgutz AK Member

South Dakota issues front and rear license plates. No inspections or pollution control tests required.

HarmanKardon likes this.
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat "Boat Wake", 1966 (Pete Turner, R.I.P.) Subscriber

I bought my latest vehicle in Ohio. I notice some asshat screwed the plate frame right into the bumper, when there is clearly a spot for a mounting bracket just under the front bumper. I keep a mask on the front in dry weather to keep the stone chips away but still, knowing there are two unsightly small holes there behind the mask is bothering me.

6. Christian B

Christian B AK Subscriber Subscriber

NJ does require front and rear plates, except, a little known fact is that vehicles which are more than 25 years old and registered as "Historic Vehicles" only need to have a single special plate displayed on the rear.

As for front plates, I agree with your thoughts Chris, except on this car.

Attached Files:

HarmanKardon likes this.
  7. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Addicted Member

IMG_2420.JPG
    :rolleyes:

I also saw "G30" on a Ford Explorer.

8. avionic

avionic " Black Knights" Subscriber

Iowa requires front and rear.

9. mgkfifty

mgkfifty Active Member

Rear only in Michigan..... for now.

10. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

11. KLH9

KLH9 A Double Pair Sounds OK

No front plates in Florida. Never has been as far as I can recall (going back 5 decades for me)

When I was going to college back in the early 70's in Colorado I got pulled over for not having a front plate by the State Police on the interstate. He was traveling the opposite direction, zoomed into the median throwing dust everywhere then came after me.

He said "the reason I pulled you over is because your front plate is missing"

I told him that "Florida does not issue front plates"

His response was "well, your in Colorado now son. Have a nice day"

Got back into his cruiser and sped off.

This was the oddest traffic stop I have ever experienced.

John James likes this.
  12. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

New Mexico plates read: NEW MEXICO USA

They added the USA to assist geographical ignoramuses among other states' law enforcement professionals.

13. Wildcat

Wildcat "Boat Wake", 1966 (Pete Turner, R.I.P.) Subscriber

My favorite is the turquoise plate. The plate with the chiles on it is pretty cool also.

While staying in Tucson this past weekend, there were at least four plates from Sonora MX, and one from Sinaloa MX. I would expect those are as common in Tucson as Ontario CA plates are here in southeast Michigan.

14. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

I left Illinois two years ago to retire to AZ. Illinois required front plates, and every time legislation was proposed to eliminate them to save money, the police organizations fought and defeated it. IL required pollution checks in Cook county (Chicago) and the collar counties (and maybe near St. Louis, MO, I'm not sure). The pollution checks went from tailpipe sniffers to OBD checks eventually. IL never had safety inspections. IL offered a wide range of specialty plates, ranging from schools to sports teams to specialty causes for which you paid extra to make a contribution, like for wildlife conservation or prevention of domestic violence. Some specialties are issued in limited numbers and are valid for one year only, for example Route 66 plates for the 66th anniversary of the route. Vanity plates, as in most states, had certain rules about the number of letters and numerals and their arrangement. I think the vanity plate surcharge was about $20 or $25.

AZ does not require front plates, but vanity plates are issued in pairs so you can have them front and rear if you want. Since my Mustang already had both from IL, I use both vanity plates in AZ (ITSMYRV). In Illinois I had RTRO RKT (they allow one space in seven letters, but the space is not recorded as a unique variable, so once I had that, the same sequence with the space elsewhere would not be issued.) I originally got RTRO RKT for my 2003 Mercury Marauder, and transferred it to the 2013 Mustang. I wanted to get the same thing for the Mustang in AZ, but it was already taken.

States check vanity numbers for unsuitable content, but they miss some, as you can see if you search the topic on line. On the vanity application, AZ asks for a written explanation of the meaning, to help them catch unsuitable things.