Lightning cables: lifespan of a fruit fly

Here is something to try. I have and they generally work fairly well. You can actually leave these in the lightning plug port. Lightning to micro USB adapter, it is a coin toss if you get full functionality, and they are very easy to loose.

A812826A-5EBC-4DB6-B591-8D87F098CE94.jpeg

I still have and use the 30 pin cables from my 3gs and 4s. I use the 4s daily for streaming so it gets charged regularly. OTOH my kids (22 &17) and wife have gone thru many replacements. TLC I say!

And as for ear buds...

Last edited:
I still use the same cable that came with my Samsung Note 2. Thats how old its, I still use a Note 2. And only on my second in my truck due to others using it.
I dont use devices when charging though. My wife burns through them about one a month. :D

On my company iPhone 6s I've used the original Apple cable and two Amazon Basics with no issues. Previous company 4s was a hand me down and had a 30 pin data cable that came from who knows where. I used a cheapy Walgreen's cable for charging only on it. Those all held up fine for the 3 years I had the phone. Now the wife's Kindle original cable is beginning to give out, but it has seen a LOT of use in the 5 years that she's had the Kindle. I'll probably just get replacement from Amazon for it.

Mark Gosdin

How about proactively putting electrical tape or heat shrink at that junction to make it stronger?

My lightening cable (old) was starting to fray there and I just patched it up with electrical tape. Don’t see why you couldn’t do it before it started to fray as long as the cosmetics of it didn’t bother you.

Mine fray prematurely but that is my fault for leaving them plugged in when I am using the device.

I just ordered a X and will get the Apple wireless charger when it is available.

Back
Top Bottom