Line Magnetic 216IA Amp and Well Tempered Amadeus Turntable

It's a great combination, as I'm fortunate to own both the Amadeus GT and the LM 216IA. My amp is just in its break in phase now, but the sound impresses me in new ways every time I'm listening.

So are you taking the plunge into tube amplification? Once you have that much fun in one day, it's hard to change course. Your current system looks really awesome but when you get the urge to change, sometimes you just have to go for it. I've heard raves about the Plinius amps and am curious as to what is drawing you to the LM tube amps.

I have had tube gear in the past and still love tube amplification. I have never been one to espouse views that SS is better than tubes or vice versa. Do I dare say that my Plinius amp "out tubes" the line magnetic amp that I listened to? In reality they both have their own signature sound, both different, yet very good. It seems to me that at a certain price point, the amp that sounds best is the one that has the signature sound that you prefer the most. System synergy plays a big role in that as well. Don Better is a dealer that has heard and tried a plethora of combinations and knows what gear works well with other gear. My demo was set up with well matched components. Keep in mind that the amp demo involved a pair of DeVore Gibbons, speakers that are 3 or 4 times more expensive than mine. Right now, I am listening to my Pass F5 clone with a tube preamp that sounds very good. Better than the Plinius? No, but I like it a lot. Different signature sound. The Plinius is going nowhere, it is that good.

It's a great combination, as I'm fortunate to own both the Amadeus GT and the LM 216IA. My amp is just in its break in phase now, but the sound impresses me in new ways every time I'm listening.

You are a blessed man with such a nice system. Man, that Amadeus is my new reference for TT's.

At 90db you should have no problem. The Boxers are nice looking speakers. I believe they out class my Nola Mini's.

How about some pic's of the Boxers with the Clone?

I have never heard the Nola Mini's, but here is your picture request:

005_zpse7beaf52.jpg

001_zpsc1ca2334.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics but I don't have a great camera and I know even less about photography than I do about stereo gear. :D I have been playing this set up all morning and it sounds way better than it has a right to. It is very pedestrian in appearance, but I think I have a keeper here. Another thing that impresses me is that this amp has some SACK. It plays big for 25 watts a side. It sounds great. I would love to hear the real deal for a comparison.

I have never heard the Nola Mini's, but here is your picture request:

005_zpse7beaf52.jpg

001_zpsc1ca2334.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics but I don't have a great camera and I know even less about photography than I do about stereo gear. :D I have been playing this set up all morning and it sounds way better than it has a right to. It is very pedestrian in appearance, but I think I have a keeper here. Another thing that impresses me is that this amp has some SACK. It plays big for 25 watts a side. It sounds great. I would love to hear the real deal for a comparison.

Thanks for the pic. Nice set up, and stop selling yourself short on the Tim Rawson. It's a very respectable amp much better than many brand named amps on the market....especially if the builder use top brand parts.

Last edited:
Yeah MWalt those single ended LM amps are very nice, and I liked the Devore speakers at Don Better's too. I think I would move to the Vandersteen 5A, if I had the money.

Also cannot find any specs on the gain of the 211 or 216 amp (as one person wanted to know), but with swapping of tubes and other factors of speaker sensitivity it might not be that important overall.

Have not gotten back in analog (TT arena) but I am enjoying the digital end with the 216IA. BTW Don has some SS amp gear by Musical Fidelity that sounds VERY good as well...

Yeah MWalt those single ended LM amps are very nice, and I liked the Devore speakers at Don Better's too. I think I would move to the Vandersteen 5A, if I had the money.

Also cannot find any specs on the gain of the 211 or 216 amp (as one person wanted to know), but with swapping of tubes and other factors of speaker sensitivity it might not be that important overall.

Have not gotten back in analog (TT arena) but I am enjoying the digital end with the 216IA. BTW Don has some SS amp gear by Musical Fidelity that sounds VERY good as well...

I love the Vandersteen 5A. One of my all time favorite speakers.

Thanks for the pic. Nice set up, and stop selling yourself short on the Tim Rawson. It's a very respectable amp much better than many brand named amps on the market....especially if the builder use top brand parts.

I'd love to hear one of his amps. I've yet to hear a negative comment about them.

cubdog

I heard lots of people rave about the quality of Plinius and Musical Fidelity when I was researching my amp. I heard the MF first and took it home:D

I heard lots of people rave about the quality of Plinius and Musical Fidelity when I was researching my amp. I heard the MF first and took it home:D

I don't know what happen to his clones nor do I know what happen to him. Others have complained saying Pass was upset with him, but Nelson Pass makes his designs available for the DIY community. Rawson also clone other gear as well even Bel Canto. His Jeff Roland amps where outstanding. Years ago his clones where available on Audiogon, but know I have no clue how to get one.

Yes the MF M6i is the amp I heard and it is a very musical and powerful amp. I could live with it instead of a two mono amps quite easily. It is a dual mono config under the hood. The price was just a bit high for me, so for a second system with Magnepan speakers I opted for the Parasound HALO A21 as a second choice.

So as of now, I can have both worlds. SS with the A21 or the LM Audio 216IA for the warmth of tubes.

Don played a pair of Vandersteen Treo floorstanders while I was there too. Nice speaker. Crazy as it sounds, I liked the DeVore standmounts a little better.

Don Better did use an MF CDP as a source. It was as good as everything else I heard that day. It's funny about audio. Once you get to a certain level it's all good. Kinda like going to the Playboy Mansion and then having to pick your date. There is no bad choice :D

Last edited:
Was Rawson with Pass Labs at one point? There's a lot of praise about him on the web and his contributions to the industry.

BTW
Don can be very cordial and will let you bring your own equipment for listening. (within reason) I brought my McCormack DNA-125 for a test run on the Vandersteen speakers. If you arrange it with him in advance, he will help with the listening experience. He was very pleasant to my wife and I.

He also has tremendous Hi-Fi!

Last edited:
Don Betters did use an MF CDP as a source. It was as good as everything else I heard that day. It's funny about audio. Once you get to a certain level it's all good. Kinda like going to the Playboy Mansion and then having to pick your date. There is no bad choice :D[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more! There is so much GOOD stuff out there!:music:

The Spender A6's you have MT, I bet sound sweet... I just acquired a Schiit Bifrost DAC that I really like. I also have a Benchmark USB DAC1 that I love too.

Back
Top Bottom