Linux and ripping, playback

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just got a laptop with no HDD for the great price of free; am thinking of shoving a drive in it and using Linux, probably Mint, and using this as a dedicated unit for music.

1) Are there any Linux programs as good as EAC for ripping, or should I try to configure EAC to run under WINE? Any tips?

2) Any advice on properly configuring to work with my HRT MSii+? It's been quite a few years since I've had an operating Linux box in regular use as due to my need to use AutoCAD and also my desire to run EAC.

3) Playback - Foobar2K under WINE or is there a good Linux native alternative?

Just got a laptop with no HDD for the great price of free; am thinking of shoving a drive in it and using Linux, probably Mint, and using this as a dedicated unit for music.

1) Are there any Linux programs as good as EAC for ripping, or should I try to configure EAC to run under WINE? Any tips?

2) Any advice on properly configuring to work with my HRT MSii+? It's been quite a few years since I've had an operating Linux box in regular use as due to my need to use AutoCAD and also my desire to run EAC.

3) Playback - Foobar2K under WINE or is there a good Linux native alternative?

To rip CDs there are many native options. You can also run EAC in Wine, or Foobar2000 in Wine. For playing there are many special programs, and also you can use VLC. Usually in any modern Linux you can just select music file and there will be an option to "play" it. Playlists are also supported.

JRiver on Linux Mint works really well. I know I did not reboot, futz, fiddle or jack with mine in over 6 months when I was running it. Don't forget Peppermint is stripped down Linux, and works equally well, without all the "windows-like" programs.
Clementine is the usual Linux player, similar to all the others, like MusicBee and Foobar.
There are a bunch of rip programs. Try them all, and see what you like. Audex is stout with features, and gets artwork.

I guess I have two main concerns:

1) secure ripping - didn't exist in the Linux world when I stopped using Linux as my daily driver

2) playback - in Windows it's a pain in the posterior to configure things so that Windows doesn't resample to 16/44.1 (when my DAC, a HRT MSii+, is capable of directly reproducing many other rates) is this easier in Linux and what softwares do I need?

Also, have been looking at a few "audio oriented" distros are they worth it or just use a good known distro and point it to the right repositories if what I want isn't available through normal channels?

(BTW I'm typing this on the laptop that was being thrown out, using a Mint 18.1/MATE installer disc to boot. So it appears that I am good to go once I get a HDD and a new sled)

Rubyripper is pretty good. I use it all the time and haven't had problems.

I use LogitechMediaServer (LMS) and squeezelite (a squeezebox emulator) on my linux laptops. I like to keep the server and player separate but that is a personal choice. It plays bit perfect right out of the box. One of my "squeezeboxes" uses the HRT MSII DAC so I am sure your DAC will work.

LMS interface looks dated and that is a turn off for some but it is really powerful underneath with new plugins added all the time. With the right DAC squeezelite can play sample rates up to 384kHz and DSD files. It can also upsample your music files to the DAC's maximum capability (thankfully that feature is turned off by default). You can also stream music sites like spotify and tidal, play internet radio and podcasts.

LMS and squeezelite are free.

You can control LMS from any computer, phone or tablet on the network. Even some of the apps are free.

I haven't ripped CDs in a longtime but I was using EAC on a windows machine. I would probably use EAC under wine but I bet if you google it there are probably linux programs that use secure ripping.

Back
Top Bottom