Linux Music Server Options?

oteoi

Hi,

I've been given an old Macbook with a dodgy screen that I intend to use as a music server and headless player. I am going to install some variety of Linux on it, and I was looking for opinions as to the best options in terms of music server software.

My music will be stored on an attached HD and the Macbook itself will be attached to my receiver via optical. I need server software on the Macbook that allows me to remotely control (using a phone, for instance) and play music directly from the Macbook into the stereo but that also provides a music server that will allow me to access my music to play on other devices, such as a phone, tablet, etc...

EDIT: I should probably note, too, that I will also be running a separate video server off of this Macbook, so solutions such as Volumio that are operating systems in of themselves aren't an option. I'd like something that is a program/service I can run from a standard distribution such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc...

The easier the setup the better, although I'm not averse to getting down and dirty with terminal commands and editing .conf files if I really have to.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am using Ubuntu, Logitech Media Server & Squeezelite (the player). To control the server on an android phone I use Squeeze Commander (Squeezer and Orange Squeeze are excellent alternatives). To turn my android phone into a player I use either the SB Player or BubbleUPnP app (mostly use Bubble). iPeng is a popular remote for iPhones.

Ubuntu, Logitech Media Server, Squeezelite, SB Player and Squeezer are free. The others are around $5.

Thanks. Sounds like a good option. Is it easy enough to get it sorted so that it can play MP3 and AAC files? From a bit of rudimentary research that seems to be the only possible issue I'd have with it.

Thanks. Sounds like a good option. Is it easy enough to get it sorted so that it can play MP3 and AAC files? From a bit of rudimentary research that seems to be the only possible issue I'd have with it.
I have never had a problem playing mp3 or aac files. It will even play DSD files if you have a DAC that can play them.

You can also use streaming services as well as internet radio.

Thanks for the suggestion Alobar. I think I'll try a few free alternatives first, but I'll definitely keep that in mind if none of them are to my liking.

I have never had a problem playing mp3 or aac files. It will even play DSD files if you have a DAC that can play them.

You can also use streaming services as well as internet radio.

Excellent. I'll give it a go.

Tune Browser which is available from the Microsoft store plays every type of file I've thrown at it. That includes dsf/dsd files. There is a free version that has a limit on the number of "tunes" in the library. Like JRiver it gives you a chance to check it out. Unlike Foobar it isn't necessary to jump through any hoops for dsf/dsd file playback.

Sorry, I forgot this was specifically a Linux thread.

Back
Top Bottom