Listen Impossible: A Stone Cellar

Think "Tapestries"... :biggrin:
Bingo! I have picked up some interested textiles at church sales and yard sales -
use some fishing link to sew through them and wrap around a dowel to use as hanging tapestries.
I even have a couple old mexican style blankets I hung on larger dowels for absorbtion panels ...
The right kind of woven artworks are always an interesting to way to break up hard wall surfaces -
doesn't HAVE to be velvet Elvis to make the room better - unless you just like them!

The hard floor/ceiling and the brick/stone walls create an acoustically live environment with a long decay time for echo. You can verify this simply by clapping your hands. A reverberation time of a second or more is too long - typically a time of 0.6 sec is aimed for.

I am not sure exactly how you are thinking of arranging the listening position and the location of the loudspeakers. From the initial description and pictures, it looks like you aim to place them on one side of the brick arches and sit along that axis on the same side. Not sure about the dimensions of that section but it looks a bit narrow.

In general, what you want to do is have no early reflections, and that means you don't want the loudspeakers to energize the corners behind them or the wall you are looking at when looking at them. You also don't want to have reflections from the walls to the sides of the speakers.

You can achieve this with absorbing pads or by very heavy velour drapes. They will need to be placed around the wall behind and to the sides of the speakers. But they must not be straight, rather they need to be curled, like use 3ft of cloth for 1ft of running length, at least. That way they create a heavy barrier and absorb. You should also consider using diffusers, especially in the back wall from the listening position. The reflections from that wall would be diffused and generate a sense of spaciousness rather than cause modes to cancel or boom bass notes depending on where you stand or sit.

That is a GREAT basement, whether it is a tough acccoustical environment or not. Is the rest of the house that nice?

I'm simple so I only see simple solutions. I see you sitting on the long white wall with that wall softly decorated to taste. Makes for bigger and better seating. Then the speakers moving around as needed in and out of the arches with the back side of the arches and the wall behind them decorated to soft taste as well. As a necessity I see the room containing the table being blocked off with a wall and door. Then light also done according to taste. I would not decorate the facing side of those beautiful arches. Now I see a great sounding drop dead gorgeous room with character to beat the band.

The carpet, heavy/blackout curtains, and tapestries are all good ideas. It's actually a very cool-looking space, like a "hi-fi grotto." But lots of corners and lots of hard surfaces. You can also get acoustic foam or do your own DIY version ("egg-crate" foam or actual egg cartons!), but those treatments tend to only mitigate high frequency reflections. I'm thinking you're going to have some broadband issues and corner bass-loading problems. What are you willing to spend/do/make to make this happen? Are there any restrictions (for instance, spousally-imposed aesthetic criteria)?

I would look at bass traps, possible acoustic panels (which you can make with rockwool and frames), adding furniture and things like bean bag chairs and book/record cases or shelving (anything with mass and uneven surfaces), and/or building a DIY diffusor if necessary. As previously mentioned, there are apps and computer programs that will help you do measurements of room modes, but a lot of it can be done with common sense (figure out where your listening position is, then treat the surfaces in that triangle to make everything less reflective). But you will definitely need some time, money, some skills, and the "green light" to make it all work...

GJ

Thanks for the ideas! Luckily, I can pretty much green light this myself.

I'm simple so I only see simple solutions. I see you sitting on the long white wall with that wall softly decorated to taste. Makes for bigger and better seating. Then the speakers moving around as needed in and out of the arches with the back side of the arches and the wall behind them decorated to soft taste as well. As a necessity I see the room containing the table being blocked off with a wall and door. Then light also done according to taste. I would not decorate the facing side of those beautiful arches. Now I see a great sounding drop dead gorgeous room with character to beat the band.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was thinking about possibly positioning the speakers within arches, but that would obstruct people walking around more than the position of the speakers shown in the photos, where people need to walk less often.

And to expand on previous comments, here are plans for an actual studio-grade diffuser that can be put together rather cheaply, but that does a great job and looks good too. Comparable premade products would be cost prohibitive:

https://tapeop.com/tutorials/83/diy-diffusors/

GJ
Very cool looking diffusor! I could not read the whole article without a subscription, but will try and search it out from another source. Thank you!

That is a GREAT basement, whether it is a tough acccoustical environment or not. Is the rest of the house that nice?

Awww. Thanks. It was the first project after moving in, and one of my favorite rooms. The rest of the house is more old-school wooden mouldings and that sort of detailing. Beautiful in their own way, but I like the rawness of the cellar.

The hard floor/ceiling and the brick/stone walls create an acoustically live environment with a long decay time for echo. You can verify this simply by clapping your hands. A reverberation time of a second or more is too long - typically a time of 0.6 sec is aimed for.

I am not sure exactly how you are thinking of arranging the listening position and the location of the loudspeakers. From the initial description and pictures, it looks like you aim to place them on one side of the brick arches and sit along that axis on the same side. Not sure about the dimensions of that section but it looks a bit narrow.

In general, what you want to do is have no early reflections, and that means you don't want the loudspeakers to energize the corners behind them or the wall you are looking at when looking at them. You also don't want to have reflections from the walls to the sides of the speakers.

You can achieve this with absorbing pads or by very heavy velour drapes. They will need to be placed around the wall behind and to the sides of the speakers. But they must not be straight, rather they need to be curled, like use 3ft of cloth for 1ft of running length, at least. That way they create a heavy barrier and absorb. You should also consider using diffusers, especially in the back wall from the listening position. The reflections from that wall would be diffused and generate a sense of spaciousness rather than cause modes to cancel or boom bass notes depending on where you stand or sit.

Really helpful. Thank you! I was thinking curtains too for a while, but now I'm thinking DIY panels (painted by local artists) or cool looking carpets. I will be looking into some measuring equipment and software to get that reverb time. Any suggestions on doing that sort of thing on a budget?

Definitely a great looking space, I am jealous... my listening 'area' is a third of the kids' playroom behind a paper shoji screen... Funky artwork too.

I'd start by going to a home store and getting heavy drapes, hung on a track from the ceiling to cover the walls and area rungs on the floor. Maybe a diffuser in a corner or something soft hanging from the ceiling. Also, a big upholstered couch will be useful, for naps and sound-deadening...

This reminds me of one of those awkward challenges that ends up in outstanding results because of the focus and creativity required for a solution. That can be a really cool environment, well beyond acoustical considerations.

I lived in stone houses for years and suffered the same thing your are going through acoustically. My answer was to make Owens Corning 703 and 705 panels, wrap them with cloth and hang them throughout the room. It works great.

In your case, you could cover the whole ceiling and not disrupt the aesthetics at all. I did the same thing to the ceiling in my buddy's living room. These 2 pictures should give you an idea.

Attachments

• IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Personally I think I'd reorient your setup and have this lined up along the white wall to the right next to where you're looking to place your equipment (get them some nice spacing) and have the area behind the arches be a walk through. Plus you could have a little bar setup back there. I'd say get some sound deadening paint and paint the walls. Plus I think doing a good paint job other than that white would be good for the space and you probably should do new paint on that shelving space to cut down on flaking (honestly it would be a great spot for records if setup right if you didn't use it for gear). Plus get some panels designed to cut down reverb and echo. Get a nice big rug or rugs to help deaden the floor especially in front of the speakers. If you can find some nice but inexpensive furniture pieces to make the space functional and cozy. Plus having some furniture pieces may also help to cut some of the echo it's like a room before you move in vs a room after. It's a lot to suggest but I think would would be worth taking a look how you want to use the space in a broad sense too it's a fantastic space with potential. Plus you could really set that space up for entertaining guests.

Lets just have you coat everything in FLEX-SEAL and call it good :D

Really a nice area, I had a buddy that used a lot of wood in areas (Think Drift wood) to give some relief.

Why not use the other adjoining area
Not much going on over there
Its narrow but if you could do it up the way it should be done
You only lose what you may not be using and leave the larger room open for everything else

Drapes only do so much
Carpeting has to to be the right materials or it can be reflective
You could make large bass bins shaped to fit the 2 arches in the rear which could just slip out and be placed along wall when not in use
Put em on wheels.
That absorbs bass and broadband
Absorber on opposite wall.
Diffuser panel on facing wall behind speakers
Ceiling cloud.
Carpet remnant on floor
Back could be drapes you pull across just to enclose the space
Or
Make a wall of more bass trap. Roll it away when not in use.

Only 7' wide but you dont have giant speakers. Toe-in
Id think high end small speakers would be a better fit. Very narrow towers. Simple open baffle as suggested.
Something neutral

Ribbon tweeters to minimize reflections to begin with
Open baffle bass with dipole ribbon

It may work out best and easier all around if not going full out in the larger area

Long cables arent a problem but for turntable afaik. Put the gear wherever

Last edited:
It looks like the legendary Cavern Club in Liverpool!

GettyImages-2665936.jpg-900x540.jpg

cavern64.jpg

1*CZEsegX23CLTs-xOh3bxog.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom