Listening space - wiring issue, and need suggestions

Ethan25

So, my wife and I decided to reorganize the downstairs listening/tv area (semi-finished basement). We were using one Kallax on wheels for my LPs, and on top it held my Receiver, 5 disc changer and my Turntable. The speakers were on the sides of the kallax on other shelving.

Now, we put a second Kallax next to the one that holds my LPs, and split the speakers farther apart by putting them on the far ends of the Kallaxes (is that a word?). I then brought down a really nice cabinet that I like, and rested the turntable on that in the back corner. It brings it away from any rumble of the speakers, and I like the height it is at now.

So here's the deal....there's a vinyl floor that's stuck to the concrete. I purchased a 20 foot long RCA Cable to run from the turntable to the receiver, but it has to run underneath a carpet remnant that we have down there. Can't really run it against the fireplace edge and no way to run it up and over. My question is, having that wire go underneath the carpet...you can feel it with your feet if you walk over it. Will it damage the wire to keep walking over it over and over over time?

TV Spot.jpg turntable.jpg shelf.jpg

Unless your TT has a line level output (built in phono stage) it's generally not a good idea to use 20' cables from TT to amplifier. I suggest relocating something so that you can use the OEM cables with your TT.

Unless your TT has a line level output (built in phono stage) it's generally not a good idea to use 20' cables from TT to amplifier. I suggest relocating something so that you can use the OEM cables with your TT.

sorry, I meant to say that the 20' cables run from the Phono Pre-amp to the receiver. Does that make a difference?? The phono-preamp is right behind the turntable on the left.

No, there is no problem with them running under the carpet. Probably by the time there is an issue with them, due to people running over them, a meteorite has hit earth and no one will care about owning audio equipment. Worst case scenario, in 10 years you will have to replace them, but by then you have probably remodeled again that basement.

sorry, I meant to say that the 20' cables run from the Phono Pre-amp to the receiver. Does that make a difference?? The phono-preamp is right behind the turntable on the left.

IME a 20' cable from phono preamp to preamp/amplifier/receiver should cause no problems. It's a line level signal.
FWIW, I run a 20' cable from preamp to an electronic crossover.

20-foot run could still be a big problem unless it's balanced. Not saying will, but could, big-time. Line-level doesn't matter: only speaker-level is immune. But theorizing doesn't matter, too many factors involved. Just try it...

I've personally have had noise issue when using long runs of rca cables with my turntable and on a separate setup, my subwoofer.

I don't know how rocking your bookshelf speakers get, but worst case scenario, I'd just get an isolation platform for my turntable and maybe some sort of foam or rubber mat for my speakers.

IME a 20' cable from phono preamp to preamp/amplifier/receiver should cause no problems. It's a line level signal.
Weellll, a phono signal is really more "mic level" (0.2-5 mV) which is why phono preamps need 30-50 db of gain to match true "line level" (1-2 V) sources like CDPs, tuners, tape decks. etc.

FWIW, I run a 20' cable from preamp to an electronic crossover.
Now that's an example of a line level. In the case of your SP9, the phono section has already increased the gain by 46 db to the tape outs!

If worst comes to worst, get a pad for the carpet, cut the pad & put the wire where the slit in the pad will is.
I think that would work unless you got a really cheap pad.

Back
Top Bottom