Little Bear Tube Phono Pre??

Just ordered a version 2.6 and some Russian tubes, This should be enough for me to have some sweet tube sound right?
I've tried to read all posts but most issues i've found seems to be solved with 2.6 version and russian tubes.

I am pretty new to the audio world and decided to dip my toes into the tube world and bought the Little Bear T10 V2.2 off amazon. My current setup is Project Debut III (Ortofon OM5e cartridge) -> Little Bear T10 V2.2 -> Crown XLS1002 AMP (.775V input sensitivity) -> Klipsch Icon wf-34 speakers.

The issue I am having is the mid range is very distorted. I first listened to Miles Davis' Some Kind of Blue and the highs sounded great, but everything else sounded distorted. I initially chalked this up to the tubes being new and needed time to burn in, but after a few days of listening there has been no change. My buddy who has some experience with tube guitar amps recommended playing something more modern with a lot more mid range to try and diagnose what is going on. We played Journey's Don't Stop Believing and it sounded terrible. I double checked to make sure I wired everything correctly and everything was switched to 6N2. He chalked it up to bad tubes. According to the specs on my Crown Amp and the Little Bear the sensitivities should be compatible.

Do you guys think its the tubes? Or is there a larger issue at hand? I am very new to this and I don't want to spend $60 on new tubes for a $120 pre-amp. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am pretty new to the audio world and decided to dip my toes into the tube world and bought the Little Bear T10 V2.2 off amazon. My current setup is Project Debut III (Ortofon OM5e cartridge) -> Little Bear T10 V2.2 -> Crown XLS1002 AMP (.775V input sensitivity) -> Klipsch Icon wf-34 speakers.

The issue I am having is the mid range is very distorted. I first listened to Miles Davis' Some Kind of Blue and the highs sounded great, but everything else sounded distorted. I initially chalked this up to the tubes being new and needed time to burn in, but after a few days of listening there has been no change. My buddy who has some experience with tube guitar amps recommended playing something more modern with a lot more mid range to try and diagnose what is going on. We played Journey's Don't Stop Believing and it sounded terrible. I double checked to make sure I wired everything correctly and everything was switched to 6N2. He chalked it up to bad tubes. According to the specs on my Crown Amp and the Little Bear the sensitivities should be compatible.

Do you guys think its the tubes? Or is there a larger issue at hand? I am very new to this and I don't want to spend $60 on new tubes for a $120 pre-amp. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I'm pretty new to tubes but i just got my Russian tubes and its working much much better with distorsion and noise. Money well spent IMO.
tried swaping the tubes around and see if it makes it sound different?

I'm pretty new to tubes but i just got my Russian tubes and its working much much better with distorsion and noise. Money well spent IMO.
tried swaping the tubes around and see if it makes it sound different?

Thank you for the reply. I did move the tubes around in a couple different configurations and did not notice a difference. I am trying to borrow some 12ax7's from my buddy's guitar amp to see if swapping out tube clears up the issue. From what I have read online the amp should sound half way decent with the Chinese tubes, but since it sounds so bad with those Chinese tubes I am concerned there is a large problem at hand. Any other suggestions? I am half way tempted to return the unit while I still can...

Thank you for the reply. I did move the tubes around in a couple different configurations and did not notice a difference. I am trying to borrow some 12ax7's from my buddy's guitar amp to see if swapping out tube clears up the issue. From what I have read online the amp should sound half way decent with the Chinese tubes, but since it sounds so bad with those Chinese tubes I am concerned there is a large problem at hand. Any other suggestions? I am half way tempted to return the unit while I still can...
test it with your friends tubes if you can do it before the time runs out for return. It should sound alright even with Chinese tubes. even with the wrong resistance etc for your cartridge it should just be sounding thin not distorted.

Early version V2.2 had more inherent problems. That's why they are up to 2.6 now.

There's a massive thread over at the VinylEngine site with guys basically rebuilding the early versions. The details are beyond my understanding so I can't tell you directly.

My Russian tubes arrived today and so I fired up the Little Bear with my all Russian tubes.

Needs some time to burn in but it's sounding good. Warm bass and nice detail so far.

5 rectifier tubes, so I'm pretty stocked now ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 62
Well it looks like I have hum in my v2.6 Little Bear too. It's loud at half volume on my amp, but to be fair that's also bloody loud on the sound too.

It's not a problem with music but definitely something I'm wanting to get rid of.

The gain switch certainly helps but all it does is boost the output audio signal and so masks the hum vs helping to make it go away. Also playing with the grounding switch didn't appear to do anything.

I moved the LB amp to a space away from the power amp and other cables etc but it made no diff. Also disconnected the turntable earth lead and that made no difference either so something is going on (might see what happens if I ground the TT to the Kenwood amp instead.

Either way I'm pushing ahead with an Alu housing for the amp which hopefully will provide much better grounding/shielding.

Edit: I forgot I had the tube shields. Will test some of those on some of the tubes and report back what impact they have.

Second edit: tube shields did nothing. Rotated all the tubes out for some spares too, no change. Unplugged the earth lead off the TT, no change. My LB is on top of my Kenwood Amp which doesn't help as if I move it up a bit the hum goes down 20%, but at half vol on the Kenwood the hum is still pretty pronounced.

I suspect a metal enclosure is what is required and so I'm working on a solution to fix that.

Last edited:
i only need a tube shield on V1 and my hum is only really noticeable at half vol on my Yamaha a-s501. seems it doesn't care about high or low gain on the LB.
if i turn it up to 50% the hum is the least of my issue. getting fined for noise complaint would be worse :)
did you make sure the tube shield really touched all contacts? I noticed mine did nothing cos it wasn't making a good enough contact at first.

Sheilds were touching both contacts at the bottom. I'm in same boat as you, half vol is too loud to really bear so it's not a major issue and it doesn't impact listening too much. Just those quiet sections you can hear it in the background.

Left the amp on a bit last night as I was listening to some music at dinner time. When I went to shut amp down I noticed there was an audible hum from the amp, not speaker hum in the audio path, but the actual unit itself was vibrating.

Questions:
1. Could this be contributing to my audio hum issue?
2. What could be causing this? I would assume the power supply? Is this something I should contact the vendor about?

Left the amp on a bit last night as I was listening to some music at dinner time. When I went to shut amp down I noticed there was an audible hum from the amp, not speaker hum in the audio path, but the actual unit itself was vibrating.

Questions:
1. Could this be contributing to my audio hum issue?
2. What could be causing this?

1) Unlikely.
2) It's the metal laminations of the mains transformer rattling/buzzing. Tightening (or loosening) the bolts can tune it out, but the best way to prevent it is to have the laminations and coil potted.

In an attempt to try and rectify the hum in my Little Bear T10 v2.6 I tried a few different options.

1. I found a IEC lead without an earth pin, to see if I was getting a ground loop in the preamp. It changed the hum through the Little Bear (actually made in worse I would say) but was not having any affect that was fixing the issue.
2. I got a bit mad cap, to see if I could shield the unit from interference to see if the issue might be external. Not sure if what I did would have any effect but I thought I would give it a go, what did I have to lose?

The result? Exactly the same :(

I've been in contact with the vendor to try and trouble shoot and he's been helpful up to this point. I am wondering if there is an issue with my LB that's internal?

Hi, everybody. I here for the first time. And I badly know English. But I want to share the experience with you uses of LB. I did different experiments to improve a ratio signal \noise but then left everything as was in the original scheme. I changed only polarity of power supply of heaters. I cut a board to divide the power unit and the amplifier. Also I replaced sockets of tubes with sockets with shields. Here is how it looks now. The sound became much better. Noise disappeared. And already almost everything is pleasant to me

Attachments

• DSCF0137.jpg
    DSCF0137.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF0137.jpg
    DSCF0137.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 103
Hi, everybody. I here for the first time. And I badly know English. But I want to share the experience with you uses of LB. I did different experiments to improve a ratio signal \noise but then left everything as was in the original scheme. I changed only polarity of power supply of heaters. I cut a board to divide the power unit and the amplifier. Also I replaced sockets of tubes with sockets with shields. Here is how it looks now. The sound became much better. Noise disappeared. And already almost everything is pleasant to me

Nice work.:thumbsup:

jeff

Thanks Jeff. I want to ask also those who has LB T10. What valid value of capacity a cap 330 pF in feedback RIAA? In my copy 300. I think that there can be it the reason a few not enough high frequencies

Trouble shooting my T10 v2.6 issues with the supplier. I have to say they have been fantastic to date and offering to ensure I am completely happy. Tonight I will be testing the Toroidal transformer voltages to make sure its all in spec. I have a question for those that have done this in the past. I assume I find a suitable ground point, then simply probe each of the mounting screws from the transformer to measure the voltages (vs measuring across each of the mounting screws)?

I am still concerned about the mechanical hum the transformer makes, however the vendor seems to think (as did someone else in this thread) that its not the cause of my excessive audio signal path hum.

Once I have the voltages I will speak to the suppler about solutions to test/fix. I will keep everyone updated as I go.

Back
Top Bottom