Little smokey round here

fmcsonoma

With the weather getting better, perfect time to get the smoker going. Two 7 pounders from Costco.
Coat of mustard, rub, five hours in the smoker, 10 hours in and internal temp of 170. Still a couple hours away from 195.
IMG_0104.JPGIMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG IMG_0108.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
How do you "smokers" maintain the temp? That IS my biggest problem with smoking.

How do you "smokers" maintain the temp? That IS my biggest problem with smoking.
What type of rig do you have?

I use a 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain - and maintaining temp comes with some practice.

I start with all vents open when I pour the coals (using the Minion method), then dial down the bottom vents *before* I hit my target temp to be only 10-15% open.

Most of the time this keeps me within a 10 degree +/- range. I've given up trying to shoot for say 225 and then 'freaking out' if its a bit over or under.

Part of the fun of smoking is the music, the beer, and tending the pit. Sometimes the vents need a tap to open or close a bit to get it dialed back in.

I've had some cooks where I don't have to do anything for hours, some may need a tweak now and then.

I have a Chargriller Pro. Basically a barrel cut in half with a side fire box, image is exactly like my setup. It's the wide swings it temperatures that get me. When I smoke
ribs, I check every 1/2 hr. Sometimes I think it's a "mistake", and not the norm when the temp. is right on. Yep, drives me crazy, but I've never thrown out a slab. Maybe a little dried out, but since I use a good sauce, it's ok.griller.png

+1 What's your setup? I use a 22" Weber Kettle with the Slow 'N' Seer accessory. Very easy to maintain 225 to 250 degrees over your a 10 hour cook.

-Dave

I have a Chargriller Pro. Basically a barrel cut in half with a side fire box, image is exactly like my setup. It's the wide swings it temperatures that get me. When I smoke
ribs, I check every 1/2 hr. Sometimes I think it's a "mistake", and not the norm when the temp. is right on. Yep, drives me crazy, but I've never thrown out a slab. Maybe a little dried out, but since I use a good sauce, it's ok.View attachment 915480

Oops, We posted at about the same time. That's odd that you have wide temperature swings with that smoker. Unfortunately, I have no experience with that type of smoker. I'm sure that there is someone here that can help. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.

-Dave

Edit: I just want to add that www.amazingribs.com is wealth of information for all things grilled or smoked. You need to pay a fee for full access but IMO it's worth it. The forum is great and the members are knowledgeable, friendly, and supportive.

Last edited:
I have a somewhat windy back yard. Years ago I bought a propane smoker/grill.
It was impossible to hold a steady temp. Gave it my bother in law who used it with no issues till it literally rusted apart.
Recently picked up an electric smoker. Better insulated and holds the temp quite nicely.
Maybe your smoker need a better location if you have that problem.
I have a Chargriller Pro. Basically a barrel cut in half with a side fire box, image is exactly like my setup. It's the wide swings it temperatures that get me
View attachment 915480

I have a somewhat windy back yard. Years ago I bought a propane smoker/grill.
It was impossible to hold a steady temp. Gave it my bother in law who used it with no issues till it literally rusted apart.
Recently picked up an electric smoker. Better insulated and holds the temp quite nicely.
Maybe your smoker need a better location if you have that problem.
It's always just inside the garage, so wind has never been the issue, and the grill has never had a drop of rain on it. It does a great job on steaks, and burgers and brats,
I guess I just need to keep working on my skills.

Try not to open it so often. Fill the fire box with more than you think is right and let it burn for a long while without opening it. Use a remote thermometer, the ones included are usually mounted higher in the cooking chamber than they should be.
Practice... often! :D :thumbsup:

ribs, I check every 1/2 hr. Sometimes I think it's a "mistake", and not the norm when the temp. is right on. Yep, drives me crazy, but I've never thrown out a slab. Maybe a little dried out, but since I use a good sauce, it's ok.View attachment 915480

I have the same thing. I don't have a lot of trouble with the temperature - more with maintaining smoke. I get good smoke for a while, then my chunks start flaming and its done. So then I have to put more in.

What am I doing wrong here? I soak the wood and wrap it in foil before putting it on the charcoal.

I have the same thing. I don't have a lot of trouble with the temperature - more with maintaining smoke. I get good smoke for a while, then my chunks start flaming and its done. So then I have to put more in.

What am I doing wrong here? I soak the wood and wrap it in foil before putting it on the charcoal.
I never could get easy/consistent results with foil wrapped wood (chips or chunks). Same as you - good smoke for a bit, then flamed out.

Have you looked into a smoking tube like the ones from Amazen-n-Tube?
https://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnts.htm

I got better smoke for a longer time with the 12" version.

Just tossing out some ideas.

I never could get easy/consistent results with foil wrapped wood (chips or chunks). Same as you - good smoke for a bit, then flamed out.

Have you looked into a smoking tube like the ones from Amazen-n-Tube?
https://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnts.htm

I got better smoke for a longer time with the 12" version.

Just tossing out some ideas.

Thanks for the tip. That looks good. Or maybe one of those cast iron smoker boxes?

I'll have to ditch the wood chunks I have and get some pellets.

What do you use for a heat source? Charcoal?

Thanks for the tip. That looks good. Or maybe one of those cast iron smoker boxes?

I'll have to ditch the wood chunks I have and get some pellets.

What do you use for a heat source? Charcoal?
When I was smoking with propane, the smoker tubes (with pellets) worked best - couldn't get long smokes with smoker boxes either.

Now that I'm using the Weber Smokey Mountain - it's charcoal with fist sized wood chunks buried in the charcoal load using the Minion method.

No soaking. I get several hours of the much desired TBS (thin blue smoke). Don't need to keep smoke on after 3-4hours anyway.

Just picked up 15 lbs of pork shoulder from Costco which will soon be in the smoker. I cut it into smaller chunks, rub it with one of my spicy rubs and smoke it with almond, oak and charcoal. The small pieces bring it up to 200 degrees quicker and I get a lot more bark with the increased surface area. If I get impatient, I will remove the meat after 2-4 hours in the smoker, enough time to give a good dose of smoke and a good smoke ring. Then I cover a pan with foil and finish it in the oven at 250 until done so I do not need to nurse the temperature in the smoker.

The smoker boxes are too dependent on the heat source. From my experience, too low and no smoke, too high and they flame up.
With the smoker tube you light the open end with a torch, let it burn for a minute or two, blow out the flame,
set it off on the side of the grill and perfect even smoke from start to finish no matter what the cooking temp is.

Back
Top Bottom