Local delivery restriction, delivery not attempted

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by teal'c, Dec 31, 2018.

1. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

This is exactly the reason that over the past year I have adopted the policy of having FedEx pack, ship and insure any delicate/large/heavy/expensive items via their location--whether it be standard ground or freight. I state specifically in my postings for these kind of items a given flat-rate for shipping, and that everything will be handled by FedEx. If FedEx does everything from beginning to end, should there be any issue with shipping damage, they are 100% responsible and there is NO debate over a claim--my FedEx guys have confirmed that multiple times. It may seem like it costs more, but IME, it is really not. If I were to spend all day scraping up or buying proper packing, and then driving it out there, it would cost just as much. They have everything right there, and assume total responsibility the minute I drop it off.

BTW--with ANY carrier, the first response to any shipping damage claim is going to be "insufficient" or "improper" packing. If I have them do the packing--it's all on them--done--I think that is worth more than the actual insurance.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Threads like this make me want to cry. So much needless destruction of often irreplaceable stuff. savatage1973 is right, let them pack it, then they can't throw out their pat reply of "insufficient packing".

Hope it all came thru okay, teal'c.

3. teal'c

teal'c Moomber Subscriber

4. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr Omelette au Fromage Subscriber

Let them pack a heavy and delicate piece of gear only if you're willing to see it wrecked and then take the insurance. We've all heard the tales of counter staff not understanding the physics of heavy audio gear, and packing it peanuts as a result. If you can control the process, fine, but I wouldn't just hand it over and trust them.

mattsd and teal'c like this.
  5. EastPoint

EastPoint Factory Code No. 4200 Subscriber

If it had been packed well enough it wouldn’t have gotten damaged. A 90-lb amp needs special packaging or it will try to smash its way out of a package. I personally wouldn’t even bother trying to ship a 90-lb Mac amp because of those glass faces. You need a McIntosh original shipping box or crate. If a corner of the box got pushed in and that wrecked the amp, then the packaging was insufficient.

6. THD

THD Member

Wrong! First off, not too many people have the original shipping box for a 1982 amplifier of any kind, second it was Fed Ex negelegence, not the fault of the shipper, it was packed very well & I have the pics to prove it, if fed ex wants to bitch about not having the original box then fuck them. Other wise nobody would be shipping vintage amps. The corner looked like it had been pushed in, like being pushed against a wall, then popped out again somewhat. This is because they don't care. How big do you need to make letters that say "USE EXTREME CAUTION, THIS UNIT CONTAINS GLASS"?? This also contained the wood case around it that they managed to split in the corner. As far as not shipping a 90lb. Amp, people ship these, that's how they sell them, other wise it would have been local pickup only! I paid for the worthless insurance too. So no don't sit & stick up for Fed Ex when you don't know the details.

7. EastPoint

You can get shipping boxes from Mac or AudioClassics as far as I know. I thought everyone knew not to ship Mac gear without the original box, but apparently not. I also was under the impression that you had to take this stuff out of the wood case and ship them separately to prevent damage.

By the way, writing “extremely fragile” or whatever on the box is like putting a “kick me” sign on it.

invaderzim likes this.
  8. EastPoint

9. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry but you are wrong on both counts if it was packed well enough it would arrive undamaged period, secondly Ben was not taking FedExes side just telling it the way it really is.

10. THD

THD Member

Ok so don't ship anything unless you have the original shipping box, got it, next don't ever blame the shipping company because they are so careful & always pay attention to everything they ship. Thanks for the advise, next time I ship an amplifier I'll tell the buyer "sorry I can't sell it to you, cus I don't have the correct original box". Sure that works!

11. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

It does not have to have the original box to safely ship but it has to be packed well enough to survive a minimum of a 6 foot drop not many people know how to safely pack a 90 lb amp for survival. Blaming the shipping company is just deflecting the real issue, I am sorry your amp got damaged that sucks.

12. THD

THD Member

Well FYI, I just got the mail, received a check from Fed Ex for $347, was only asking for $250! All they needed was a letter from the shipper saying he wasn't filing a claim himself & I have a check! So hey man f'n drop it ok? Fed Ex lost & I won!! This just goes to show I was right, they were wrong! When u pay for insurance & show pictures for proof this is what happens. So.... you're damn right I blame Fed Ex! This just proves their negelegence, so do not post anymore on this subject please thanks.

13. faber12

faber12 Super Member

Give it up guys.

Attached Files:

• b1d.jpg
      b1d.jpg
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
  14. sberger

sberger Hard Core Geezer Subscriber

I'll go without rather then have anybody ever ship me any piece of gear ever again. If I can't pick it up and bring it home myself then it wasn't meant to be. Too much risk, too many bad memories. Just not worth it.

15. THD

THD Member

It's all good, I knew I had a valid claim. More than enough to pay for the damage, new faceplate which I already have, full recap & LED retrofit lamps plus money left over. Thanks Fed Ex!

16. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm not sure why they didn't get a signature when it was finally delivered but a fairly common scam is for someone with a stolen credit card number to use either their real name or a fake name along with the correct address that matches the stolen credit card number when they place the order so the company shipping the order doesn't get suspicious.

The company ships the order to the billing address thinking everything is fine. Then when it is in transit the criminal contacts the delivery company and has it held for pickup somewhere.
    They show up to pick up the shipment and show either their ID or a fake ID that matches the name on the shipment and walk out with the package. Even if they show their own ID there really is no risk because the cops just don't care about these things and won't investigate.

The person that the credit card belongs to files a fraudulent charge claim. The credit card company will demand proof from the seller that it was delivered to the address they have on file which isn't the address it was picked up from. The seller gets screwed because the shipping company has a signature and defends it as being properly delivered so they won't cover it for the insured value.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    olson_jr likes this.

17. teal'c

teal'c Moomber Subscriber

:rolleyes:

You mean like telling people in an internet forum not to argue and complain?

faber12 likes this.
  18. Archguy

Archguy Official Roiurama Factory Rep Subscriber

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a tired topic, but your logic is sound when it comes to assigning responsibility.. OTOH won't it lead to a lot of wrecked glass-front Mac gear? That stuff has to be packed in a very particular fashion, preferably with original materials. There's no way in hell that UPS or FedEx personnel are going to be on the right page w/r/t that.

invaderzim likes this.