Long time lurker, bout time to introduce myself - Houston, TX

Hello all,

Have learned a ton lurking and have piped in a few times, thought I would introduce myself, 51 y.o married technical sales/entrepreneur in oil and gas, transplanted to TX 12 years from San Diego, where I used to make skateboard and rollerblade wheels. Yeah, kind of a transition.

I grew up listening to my Dads Dynaco ST-70, homemade speakers with Klipsch horn drivers and EV 15", Garrard turntable, and the first thing I ever bought with my own money when I was 13 was an Onkyo TX-3000 receiver, Onkyo cassette deck and "house" speakers from hmmm....can't remember the retailer. Pacific Stereo maybe? I just remember taking a long time and listening to a lot of different systems and it seemed like the Onkyo was the best sounding that was within my budget.

Lost that in one of my many moves, never really thought about hifi again until a girl I was dating at the time who worked for Pioneer got me a smoking deal on a VSX-D811S, dvd player and satellite speakers. Still have the receiver. I just remember being underwhelmed by the sound of the satellites in surround and preferred 6 channel stereo, but they still sounded thin and wimpy so I found a pair of Klipsch towers (remembering my Dads speakers) and ohhhh yeah, even though they were Synergy's they sounded so much better to my ears).

A few years after that I stopped at a garage sale, guy had an Onkyo TX-4500 with some Bose cubes and subwoofer for $10. The Onkyo brought back a lot of memories so I grabbed it. He said it worked, got it home and it was dead on one channel. Got it repaired at Charlies Airwaves, a lovable old curmudgeon, hooked that up to the Klipsch towers and was like yeahhhhhh, that's the stuff.

Moved into my new place with a new wife about 3 years ago, put together a system with a Pioneer Elite VSX-90 mostly because of my comfort with Pioneer products and it looked pretty "future proof", 4 Klipsch towers (the Best Buy Icon label, nothing that special but a great value), DefTech C-1 center, 10" JBL sub and 15" DefTech sub and it does well for home theater. I run it as a 3.2 system before I hear about running back channels in the front :)

For vintage gear I have a clean Pioneer SX-780, the TX-4500, and Altec Lansing 886a's that have had the tweeters upgraded to the period correct phenolic rings, and my home office system has the Altecs with a Yamaha RV-V995, Nikko EQ-1, one of those Pioneer Andrew Jones 8" subs, a Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, Roku 3, and Direct TV with a 2004 Sony 42" plasma that still looks great, basically all the old obsolete non-HD gear that was in the house and had been forgotten. I sure get a lot of enjoyment out of that system mostly because of how cheaply I put it all together and it sounds and looks great.

My barely teen and tween daughters were getting into vinyl (for some reason) so I told them you can't be ruining your records on those crappy Crosley portable players and put together some solid systems for them, Pioneer turntables, one has an newish Onkyo 2 channel TX-8555 receiver with Polk towers and the other an old Yamaha RX-V2092, a huge powerful brute and the big brother to the -995 with DefTech BP8B's, which I can't seem to talk her out of, and they're the best speakers in the house....lol.

I love scouring the classifieds for interesting deals, thinking I would make some money flipping gear, and I've gotten OK at acquiring it, but I have found I'm not so good at selling it :)

Right now I'm looking to improve the speakers on my main rig but not wanting to spend the money I'm going to either look at some kits or I have some ideas for building my own (I'm pretty handy). Also am looking for an old console stereo to refinish and upgrade the electronics on, which actually my wife is really into that idea, reminds her of her parents old Curthis Mathes set up.

Aside from that, I'm a pretty hack guitar player and just finished a thrashed out garage sale Fender Jazz Bass project that turned out real nice, even though I don't really play I couldn't stand to see it there looking so sad :) I'm in the Houston and have tried to join the Houston Audio Group but haven't heard anything back, but have found some great people through buying gear through the classifieds.

Hiii Skid Vicious and welcome to AK!! Incredible introduction! Very enjoyable to read!:thumbsup: The gear you mention and own is incredible too!! Enjoy your audio journey!

Welcome aboard!!! And please post pics of your system!?!

As promised, a couple pics of some things I've been messing with. Sorry for the picture quality, it seems no matter what I do I can't get decent picture of this, but this is my home office I put together mostly from discards. The most expensive on there I guess would be the TV, which I'd never pay $6K for a TV but theres a long story in there about a cousin who owed me money when I was moving and I knew once I moved he would forget all about me so I showed up at his place and he helped me pull it off his wall and into my car :) The Altecs I got from the original owner for $50 and when I first hooked them up one tweeter was dead. When I went to replace them, one of the wires wasn't connected and looked hard and could find no evidence it had EVER been hooked up. Kind of made me sad, the guy who had them said he bought them right after he got out of college and he never noticed it. The Yamaha is the aforementioned RX-V995, found on local classifieds for $25 in perfect shape. Ugly as sin at least to me, all black and knobby with the only redeeming aesthetics to me are the LED on the volume knob, and the volume knob is servo controlled. The Nikko EQ-1 I had sitting in a box, not a big fan of EQ's but it helps punch up the mids a bit where the Altecs need it. And then various game consoles that were not in use and an old Roku streaming box. The Pioneer VSX-D811S on the bottom isn't doing anything and has since been replaced by the Pioneer SX-780.

IMG_0637.JPG

Here's the Pioneer SX-780 and Onkyo TX-4500. Paid $25 for the Pioneer and $10 for the Onkyo (broken, took about $60 to get it running again). IMG_0627.JPG

Over the left shoulder you can see a nice little rig I put together for my sisters birthday and just shipped (ouch $$$$) to her for her birthday, she was all excited a few months because she got a Bluetooth $50 record player. Couldn't have her going out like that so I put this together, an Onkyo A5 integrated with a Hitachi 202 turntable and I forget which Audio Technica cartridge I put in there, an L101 I think. Speakers are Klipsch RB-51's. She lives in the boonies so she doesn't really need a tuner. Also included an Amazon Basics Bluetooth 4.0 receiver, for $20 they work great, actually I've been very happy with all of the Amazon Basics audio accessories, cables, banana plugs.

IMG_0622.JPG

Today I was looking for an old stereo console project and ran across an SX-750 and an SX-737 that I'm going to go look at tomorrow. I think I need an intervention :)

Oh, and when I bought the -780, it was a moving sale and the guy just gave me this:

IMG_0624.JPG

The Zenith, not the kid :p Thing was in great shape with the Allegro M400 speakers and I can find almost no info on it, but it was one the later Allegros that were built in Korea, not the US, and it is cassette not 8-track with some lamp style power indicators. He's been having a ball with it, he was asking for a cassette player (evidently just like in vinyl there is a bit of a cassette Renaissance going on) and he's been having fun with the radio. I told him the interesting stuff was out at the ends of the dial and he's been finding it all right.

I don't have any pics of my main HT/audio, I took some with the grill covers off and it's kind of embarrassing to look at, like a 16 year old boy with too much money put it all together but it sounds pretty damn good :) As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking to make some "statement" speakers and I have some pretty unusual ideas about how Im going to do that.

Thanks to everybody for the nice welcome, I've been on various forums for close to 20 years and AK has to me the most interesting, supporting group of people I've been around :)

You sound like you're gonna be more in the way of helpful here than helped. Been there, done that, got a few tasty tips kinda guy. Welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom