Looking at a Few Tube Amps

I am interested in trying the SORO SE Signature. Apparently this one has been around a few years (not on the website and I didn't know it even existed). One of the sales guys at Soundhounds bought one for himself and Rafe Arnott of Part Time Audiophile was borrowing it and has now bought one for himself too. This is interesting because in the land of AN it isn't too ridiculously expensive. I mean they sell Prima Luna too so the new SORO might be worth looking at - or perhaps they will come up second hand if people move to the new SE edition.

I still say SE is the way to go if at all possible. Unfortunately it usually always costs more.

Yeah, cost is the thing. I could go with the Inspire amp and a pre and the total cost will be $4K. A bit much considering I am also keeping the Sugden.

I must say that the Cayin CS-55A has caught my eye. Cayin is well regarded and it gives me a bit more of what I'd like from a tube amp (ability to run more tube types). Sell my Bryston and Audio Space and it'll cost only $700 or so. It's significantly cheaper than the Primaluna Prologue Premium (in Cdn$). It's almost like the price has not been hiked up yet due to the currency discrepancy, but maybe the fact that it's truly from China (as opposed to PL, which is only built there) plays a part in that.

I already have a Class A SET amp, so that itch has sort of been scratched. Took a bit of time adapting to the sound and tweaking set up but I am hearing that magic, the eerie realism, and it's addictive. I think even a p/p tube amp, while not the best sound one can achieve, still gets you most of the way there.

I'd give Quicksilver a look. Hand made, point to point wiring, quality iron, and tube flexibility....very good values.

Just for fun here's the Audio Note amp to start saving for Fusion. It is pre production and will be their new flagship amps. I have seen the pics of the models but they are actually putting it together now. I can't wait see the list price hahaha. I'm betting 7 digits.

17155558_10156009806983569_1976573381362250907_n.jpg

It will go well with the the AN E is white with the black woofers which look like a washing machine.

In 500 years I may have enough saved up. Whoops, forgot to consider inflation. Make that 750 years!

I think I have pretty much landed on the Cayin. Nice looking amp. The brand is well regarded. Point to point. Lots of tube rolling options (would have loved KT120 as an option but between KT88 and EL34 plus all the variants there is enough). Easy biasing of each power tube. Remote. Triode/UL modes. Relatively affordable. Only thing I'm not nuts about is spending on some features I won't use. Phono stage and DAC. Wish those were options but it doesn't look like they are. Still more affordable than the competition though, but it could have been $200-$400 cheaper still. Oh well, these may come in handy some day - and who knows, maybe I'll start dabbling in computer audio b/c of it. I won't be buying it now though...just want to mull this over a bit more and make sure it's really what I want before I go for it.

Limited tube rolling options. I know it's a little silly, but part of the fun will be in trying different tubes. Also, LM isn't sold in my area. I think the closest dealer is 5 hours away (one-way). Otherwise, it would likely be at the top of my list.

Just make sure you can get Cayin supported down the line. People have issues with support from these guys. You also may want to ask about the LM pretty sure you can use a bunch of different tubes with their push pull amplifiers...not with SET amps though. LM apparently hired the Cayin engineers away from Cayin some years ago and current Cayin amps are just the old ones in new cases. This is just what the dealer in HK days mind you do take it with a grain of salt. I'd also look at Melody Audio but pricier.

Personally I'd rather a really good sounding amplifier than one with plenty of tube options but perhaps none of them great. Jack of all sounds but master of none.

Thanks, RGA. I'll keep that in mind. I've enquired in the past with the LM distributor and they advised against trying different tubes. Same for my Audio Space.

I'll give the amp a demo before buying. There's a local dealer that carries the line and stocks lots of integrated amps (including Rogue).

Edit: Oh, I'm also thinking that the dealer might be wrong with that. I don't think Cayin had an amp before where you could select between EL34 and KT88. And that included a DAC. So if that is the case then this must be a different amp. Small changes perhaps but still showing some development.

Last edited:
There's an LM 211 IA for $1,300 over on USAudiomart.com. I have one and love it. You can tube roll with tubes of the same type and generate fairly distinct different sonics. Heck, even if you end up not liking it, you can turn around and sell it for what you paid for it.

17352053_10154988656571287_1448622946094759850_n.jpg I just heard an amp today that I quite liked. For around $4500 HKD. You'll have to do the conversion.

The dealer who sold me my Line Magnetic is also an engineer and designed it and had it OEM built. By guess who. The CD Player is 3700 HKD.

I have asked for review samples of both. He has no representation in the US. It's one guy with a passion. He worked at Hit Audio selling LM and ATC for 13 years. But I was impressed by this budget amp given it is valve rectified and autobias and has meters and has voltage that can be changed to US/Asia. And a real headphone transformer output.

I hope I like it as much as the demo when I throw busier music at it on higher level speakers. He insists it drove his ACT 100s so my E should be a cakewalk. It also works as a power amp.

http://kingkoaudio.com/en/

I listened via Grado 325 and the combination slaughters my HD600 and Antique Sound Labs MG Head. So promising to say the least.

17352053_10154988656571287_1448622946094759850_n.jpg 17308918_10154988656656287_4874274934026536841_n.jpg 17362732_10154988656681287_8182318122898608726_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Richard,
Here in Thailand one seller is selling similar CDP with different Brand name, look wise it exactly the same, don't know about internal, some picture posted for reference, if you know how does it sound please share.

Spec

DAC Chipset : BB PCM1795 (32bit/192kHz)
Tube : 2 X 5670W JAN GE USA. (NOS)
Op-Amp : 3 X Muses02 (Top Class, Queen Of Voice)
Sony CD-ROM Reader
Transformer for Audio : Toroidal Transformer & Magnetic Shield
Capacitor for Audio : Nichicon Fine Gold, Muse BP , ELNA RJH , Rubycon CE ,YXF , Wima , Kyocera ….
Diode : Ultra Fast Diode…

Output :
Analog Output
1. Tube Output From 2 X 5670W JAN GE USA. (NOS)
2. Transistor Output From 3 X Muses02 (Top Class, Queen Of Voice)
Digital Output
1. Cox Output
2. Optical Output
Neez cdp.jpg Neez cdp 1.jpg

Attachments

• Neez cdp 1.jpg
    Neez cdp 1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
King did not design the CD player - it is from China with his logo on the front - similar to what Grant Fidelity does. King however has designed the output stage in his machine but it is not this current CD player. He basically lent me the player as my 215's transport mechanism broke down. I've now replace the 215 mechanism with a new one so I will be able to make comparisons.

This could be another one of those Shengya Vincent things. Either way I won't be buying the CD player. There is nothing like Audio Note CD replay and I've decided not to try and cheap out and buy inferior stuff trying to convince myself it's close. It's not. So I'll be buying a DAC 3.1x the sweet spot in the DAC line and the CD Two/II transport doing research on transports the Philips Pro 2 mechanism is the best one on the market that you can actually still get - and the Audio Note is one of the least expensive options probably because they bought a huge bulk of them at a reduced rate. It's also a $15,000 proposition as opposed to the $1500 the LM 215 was/is so it's not a fair comparison.

The amp on the other hand makes a strong case for itself both as an amp and as a headphone amp. I'm going to try a tube roll during the review process. Changing the rectifier tube made a huge difference in his store but I want to hear it stock for awhile first because that's what people get when they get one. I can say I like it more than my Audio Space Mini 2Se or the LM 211 or 216. All three of which are double the price and you have to bias. So so far I am quite happy with the amp especially how much I love the LM 211ia

Last edited:
I found out more about the CD player and why it comes in different names. It's kind of interesting but the way it works is that investors who can't afford the production run by themselves each put their money together in a kind of Co-op so that they can order the required minimum number of units. But the rules are they are only allowed to sell to their respective markets unless they get permission to sell to an out of market area. So King has the right to sell to Hong Kong and whoever holds the Neez rights can only sell in Thailand (unless he has rights to sell somewhere else as well).

It's a good idea to be able to go into business selling something if you can't afford to buy the minimums demanded from the manufacturer.

This is also true for all the companies that are selling Rega turntables under their own names. I believe if you buy 1000 units you can have your own name put on them and start selling.

So, they the CD players are identical with different name on them, did you get chance to compare with Line magnetic CD players?

Reactions: RGA
I'm not a tube fan though I have owned my share. There is only one company to consider. Its not Apple. Its Mcintosh. Oh I can hear the belly aching, but the value of the preowned units proves my point. The amps have improved over the years. If I were rich I would have a room full of updated 3500's. The MC 2301 is amazing, but then again the Mc275 VI is a real jewel. Have you ever noticed when people review tube amps they do so at 2 watts or maybe 10 watts. But when they review a Mcintosh amp its at full power. Its because a Mac amp will meet specs even above its rating. A 3500 for instance will put out 500 watts at less than 2 % distortion while it is rated at 350watts at less than 0..15 %. Nothing out there can touch a 3500 fully restored. Now if you are willing to accept 3 to 10 % distortion or accept power levels at 1/5 to 1/10th the power ratings from another company; have at it.

So, they the CD players are identical with different name on them, did you get chance to compare with Line magnetic CD players?
I like my 215 more. So I returned the King unit. I don't review a lot of things because a lot of things, most things, go back. He is working to improve it so I will try one again down the line. The amplifier however is terrific and I may buy it.

Back
Top Bottom