Looking for a Marantz 6300 45 adapter.

Wolfman181

I am looking for a 45 adapter for my resently purchased Marantz 6300 turntable. For some reason its been quite hard to find. Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks.

I am looking for a 45 adapter for my resently purchased Marantz 6300 turntable. For some reason its been quite hard to find. Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks.

There are several versions from that time period, not sure which one you are looking for?

Can you post a link to a picture of the one you want? :idea:

Here is a picture of the adapter I am looking for. There is one other one that does not have the measure marks and has just a dot on it instead. I do want to use it for playing 45's and for setup. Why would I not want to use it for setup? I was told that it was the only way to set a cartridge on a 6300 correctly. Is there a better way?

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 43
Here is a picture of the adapter I am looking for.

There is one other one that does not have the measure marks and has just a dot on it instead.

I do want to use it for playing 45's and for setup. Why would I not want to use it for setup? I was told that it was the only way to set a cartridge on a 6300 correctly. Is there a better way?

That one is pretty rare, appears from time to time on Ebay.

I have two types, one type with just an arrow and one type with just the dot.

I have several models of Marantz turn table, don't really know which type goes with which turn table. :dunno:

It is my belief and I could be wrong that the one with the measurements is the one that goes with the 6300. The one with just the dot is the 6200. I see the one with the measurements being sold on the 6300 all the time as original.

It's by far not the ONLY way to set up a cartridge. I think it's cool and for the completeist it's nice to have.

There are many types of alignment gauges, templates and tools. For example Vinyl Engine has a number of them that can be printed on plain paper but do make sure you print to scale.

Here is a picture of the adapter I am looking for. There is one other one that does not have the measure marks and has just a dot on it instead. I do want to use it for playing 45's and for setup. Why would I not want to use it for setup? I was told that it was the only way to set a cartridge on a 6300 correctly. Is there a better way?

Because it offers only one alignment set up and while the accuracy is OK, it is not the best as it does nothing to really check the cantilever's position relative to the alignment. ConradH, a member here at AK, has a fantastic alignment tool that you can print out after entering in a couple bits of information. It's the 3rd one down. http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

You have to know the spindle to tonearm distance, but that spec can be found on the vinyl engine.

It's by far not the ONLY way to set up a cartridge. I think it's cool and for the completeist it's nice to have.

There are many types of alignment gauges, templates and tools. For example Vinyl Engine has a number of them that can be printed on plain paper but do make sure you print to scale.

Thank you. I will look into that when my table it delivered.

I have the 45 rpm for the 6300 and sure it works great for a quick “get you close” set up.

As mentioned, I prefer Conrad’s free software to make a better template and dial it in to my best satisfaction.

I have the 45 rpm for the 6300 and sure it works great for a quick “get you close” set up.

As mentioned, I prefer Conrad’s free software to make a better template and dial it in to my best satisfaction.

Were you using the original Marantz headshell when using Conrad's alignment protractor ? :idea:

The screw slots on the original Marantz headshell did not seem long enough to accommodate the traditional Baerwald alignment protractor.

They screw slots are long enough to accommodate the traditional Stevenson alignment protractor that the Japanese turn table manufacturer seems to favor though.

The some of the Maranttz turn tables were made by CEC Japan.

Last edited:
Were you using the original Marantz headshell when using Conrad's alignment protractor ? :idea:

The screw slots on the original Marantz headshell did not seem long even to accommodate the traditional Baerwald alignment protractor.

They screw slots are long even to accommodate the traditional Stevenson alignment protractor that the Japanese turn table manufacturer seems to favor though.

The some of the Maranttz turn tables were made by CEC Japan.

Yes and I set it to Stevenson. Conrad’s program can output Baerwald, Stevenson, and customized.

I use both the Marantz stock headshell and Technics headshell on my 6300. Depends on the cartridge but I like the Technics headshell better.

Using the 45 adapter dot I seem to recall it compared it to a Stevenson protractor using Conrad’s program and looking up the arm specs. This was done long ago. The 45 adapter will set the overhang very easily. The protractor helps you set the nulls in the grid and accounts for the cantilever if it’s not perfect.

Yes and I set it to Stevenson. Conrad’s program can output Baerwald, Stevenson, and customized.

I use both the Marantz stock headshell and Technics headshell on my 6300. Depends on the cartridge but I like the Technics headshell better.

Using the 45 adapter dot I seem to recall it compared it to a Stevenson protractor using Conrad’s program and looking up the arm specs. This was done long ago. The 45 adapter will set the overhang very easily. The protractor helps you set the nulls in the grid and accounts for the cantilever if it’s not perfect.

We discover the Marantz headshell limitation when one of us ( my friend and associate) tried in vain to align the cartridge to a physically impossible Baerwald position. :rolleyes: :dunno:

Looks like I found one today on epray. So if and when it comes I should be all set. I shall see. Thanks to everyone!

Looking at the prices for those on the bay it is amazing that folks will part with that much money for the correct 45 rpm adapter. Must be different folks that limit their cartridge selections to the less than $150 range. One is easily replaced with a different part and an alignment protractor the other is critical for sound quality. But I know this is a hobby and folks can spend their money any way they want. Hopefully, yours wasn't that $50 one with shipping.

It was less than that. For me its not all about alignment. I am more a purest and my deck did not have one. When I see Marantz 6300 like mine priced from $600 to over a Grand now I feel Ok with paying as I do to get mine up to 100%. I feel I will get my money back should I want to sell in the future.

Last edited:
It was less than that. For me its not all about alignment. I am more a purest and my deck did not have one. When I see Marantz 6300 like mine priced from $600 to over a Grand now I feel Ok with paying as I do to get mine up to 100%. I feel I will get my money back should I want to sell in the future.
And that is one fine way to look at it. The table looks great, is Marantz' near best so there is a big demand (read Marantz Tax) on that unit so it pays to have it complete when sold. I was happy to sell the 6320 armless 6300 I had and move to a better table that may sell for more, or not. But it sounds better, to me at least. Yes, the fiddy buck units looked like ones for the 6025 or something. Saw two different measurements marked on two different adapters. Odd.

Back
Top Bottom