Looking for an all in one touch screen to play music

rxonmymind

Hello all,
I've decided to take my music into a different direction. This is what I envision. Ultimately I'd like a 24-27" flat screen monitor sitting on top of my Realistic 2100D receiver plugged into via Aux. Through this flat screen I only want it to play music & video. This will be a music only dedicated system that HAS TO BE easy enough for my wife to use. Power it up, music "window" comes up (Pandora or uber lossless music site of your choice) and tap to play. That's it.
I'd like to stay with Windows as all our phones are running it.
Could you break down what exactly I'd need for this set up & your recommendations. Many of you are tech savvy and what do you see out there that's a solid choice for around $1k. What would you avoid?
Software recommendations
Extra hard drive
Video card
All in one monitor.
Thanks.

All in one computers are the bane of my existence, they work for about 2 - 3 years then fail, and when they fail 9 times out of 10 it's the motherboard, the motherboards in these are usually proprietary, so it can't just be replaced, then I get irate people asking me why I can't just fix it... Anyway, rant over. Avoid all in one PC's, honestly I'd get a tablet, hook said tablet up to DAC of choice with a nice stand to prop it up and you're good. Or you could buy a touch screen monitor with a small mini ITX computer.

Maybe this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lack/4778001.p?id=1219819308898&skuId=4778001
And this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viewson...lack/8884383.p?id=1218928801611&skuId=8884383
with a wireless mouse and keyboard just in case. You could hide the tower out of sight maybe behind the unit you have your receiver sat on.

Why a touch screen? I use a standard computer with an upgraded audio interface to do the honors, and control it with a wireless mouse for everyday listening. Wireless keyboard also for dirty work, setting up new files and such, but I only use it when doing software upgrades or adding new music.

htpc.jpg

This is a 24" monitor, which might be a bit big for an average size rack, but I like it.

monitor.jpg

If you're pressed for space, the newer ITX computers are quite small. Lots of room here, so I recycled my trusty old Bach Media case with an ITX motherboard last upgrade.

Another way to do "touchscreen" is to use DLNA--you use your tablet of choice as the control point, and a media player in your system as the renderer. Some players, like the Oppo 105, let you control network playback via a tablet also, which is how I use mine. That saves me having to turn on a monitor. In addition, I use JRiver on either of my computers to play to the Oppo, if I happen to be working. All music is stored on a NAS device (Synology, to be exact).

I am in no way a fan of tethering a DAC to a tablet or phone, using computers as audio/video playback devices, or using other small outboard devices that just clutter up my room and my rack. But, to each their own.

But anyway, since you're sticking with Windows, it probably comes down to 1) compatible hardware for your computer (largely, a good sounding DAC to get clean audio out of the computer) and 2) software that is easy enough for everyone to use. The sad thing about much of the software I've tried is that it appeals to computer geeks, and I've never seen anything personally that is easy for a non-techie to operate.

Looks like two for tablets. I have a Samsung that is wifi connected and sends muisc from Google play to a Belkin Bluetooth. Works awesome. Simple, fast and sounds pretty good.
This is the exact setup I'd like except on a bigger screen.

Now I see some recommendations for a DAC? Will this connect to the Samsung tablet then stream to the Belkin bluetooth? Or will the DAC acts as a Bluetooth receiver? Will the DAC connect into the aux of the receiver and then the Samsung will send music to the DAC?

Personally, if I was in your shoes I would get a steamer that has an video interface and add a NAS. My first option would be an Nvidia Shield because it can act as a Plex server, works with Chromecasting, has apps that give it Airplay capabilities, and can be controlled with an external remote. It even has an USB output for sending to a DAC or you can use HDMI. You can also hook up drives directly to it and it has a card slot if you want to expand storage.

I think it is much easier to use in a home theater environment than a PC for most people.

Instead of a stationary screen that you're going to have to get up and walk over to every time you want to change anything, why not consider a Microsoft Surface tablet, used to wirelessly control either a Chromecast Audio or Apple Airport Express connected to the receiver?

I pretty much do what skizo does, wireless keyboard, only difference is I hook my computer up to an HDMI plug on my flat screen tv. Either that or I use the android app JRemote which controls JRiver on my pc. I really like the TV approach with wireless keyboard (I have one of those tiny keyboards that I use mostly like a remote control). I find the touch screen on a phone is an awkward way to interface the music.

Was gonna mention that jRiver has apps for turning the popular phones and tablets into remote controls and also enabling streaming from your server. Never really got into that here as I prefer the extra level of controls I get just using a mouse. Road tunes for me are via thumb drives ...

Here's Tremote on a Netbook touchscreen ...

115041729_orig0.jpg

Instead of a stationary screen that you're going to have to get up and walk over to every time you want to change anything, why not consider a Microsoft Surface tablet, used to wirelessly control either a Chromecast Audio or Apple Airport Express connected to the receiver?
Unfortunately it lacks a graphics card. I'm not a gamer but would like seamless music video streaming as an option. So it looks like.I'll have to stay the course with a desktop all-in-one.

Personally, if I was in your shoes I would get a steamer that has an video interface and add a NAS. My first option would be an Nvidia Shield because it can act as a Plex server, works with Chromecasting, has apps that give it Airplay capabilities, and can be controlled with an external remote. It even has an USB output for sending to a DAC or you can use HDMI. You can also hook up drives directly to it and it has a card slot if you want to expand storage.

I think it is much easier to use in a home theater environment than a PC for most people.
Ok, could you break that down to layman's terms? Streamer, NAS, Plexi? Sorry I'm really not getting that. I'm more of a visual guy. Is all that hardware? A computer? Thanks.

Ok, could you break that down to layman's terms? Streamer, NAS, Plexi? Sorry I'm really not getting that. I'm more of a visual guy. Is all that hardware? A computer? Thanks.
1. A NAS is the abbreviation for Network Attached Storage. This can simply be a hard drive with an Ethernet port or a machine that stores several drives that connect to your network. You can also attach a regular external drive to routers that have USB inputs. The Shield can connect to any of those via your network ( either directly plugged in via Ethernet or wifi) or a you can attach a USB drive directly.

2. Plex is an app that can be set up to see any of those drives and feeds music, video, and photo in an organized manner to you computer, tablet, and the many devices that it runs on. Typically it needs a server ( usually a computer) and it can send media to many different devices ( clients). The Shield can be a server or client with the free Plex app. The Shield also has music apps available in the Google Store on the device since it runs a version of Android.

3. Casting/AirPlay - Casting is available in several apps, but not all of them. However, if your phone has apps with Casting built in, you can send audio and video to the Shield wirelessly. AirPlay works with iTunes running on a computer or you can buy an App called Airfoil that will allow you to send any audio from a computer to the Shield ( via the free Airpin Light app).

4. Media Streaming devices - Roku, Appletv and the Firetv are three very popular streamers. They stream content from the web or from drives available on your network. The Shield is more powerful than all three of them because it is actually built for gaming and 4k video. It is cheaper than the Xbox or PS3 and quieter and less powerful. The upside is that it is easy to use ( you can buy small remotes for it or gaming controllers). I haven't used mine for music a lot, but if you have music stored on its hard drive, you can play back 24/96 FLAC ( maybe 24/192, but I didn't have a file to test) files using an app called MX Player light.

Should mention that you can get a Chromecast Audio or Chromecast (video) for a lot less money if you only care about apps that are supported and don't mind not being able to control with a remote.

Unfortunately it lacks a graphics card. I'm not a gamer but would like seamless music video streaming as an option. So it looks like.I'll have to stay the course with a desktop all-in-one.
As far as I'm aware, tablets, laptops, desktop all-in-ones, and most non-gamer desktop rigs these days all rely on integrated graphics, and are all entirely capable of playing music videos and performing other general computing tasks. If there even is such a thing as an all-in-one that has discrete graphics, the only reason to buy it would be for gaming or perhaps some other graphically intense task, which you don't seem to be interested in.

I use a raspberry pi with a USB DAC and control it with ithe android Unified Remote app from my tablet.

1. A NAS is the abbreviation for Network Attached Storage. This can simply be a hard drive with an Ethernet port or a machine that stores several drives that connect to your network. You can also attach a regular external drive to routers that have USB inputs. The Shield can connect to any of those via your network ( either directly plugged in via Ethernet or wifi) or a you can attach a USB drive directly.

2. Plex is an app that can be set up to see any of those drives and feeds music, video, and photo in an organized manner to you computer, tablet, and the many devices that it runs on. Typically it needs a server ( usually a computer) and it can send media to many different devices ( clients). The Shield can be a server or client with the free Plex app. The Shield also has music apps available in the Google Store on the device since it runs a version of Android.

3. Casting/AirPlay - Casting is available in several apps, but not all of them. However, if your phone has apps with Casting built in, you can send audio and video to the Shield wirelessly. AirPlay works with iTunes running on a computer or you can buy an App called Airfoil that will allow you to send any audio from a computer to the Shield ( via the free Airpin Light app).

4. Media Streaming devices - Roku, Appletv and the Firetv are three very popular streamers. They stream content from the web or from drives available on your network. The Shield is more powerful than all three of them because it is actually built for gaming and 4k video. It is cheaper than the Xbox or PS3 and quieter and less powerful. The upside is that it is easy to use ( you can buy small remotes for it or gaming controllers). I haven't used mine for music a lot, but if you have music stored on its hard drive, you can play back 24/96 FLAC ( maybe 24/192, but I didn't have a file to test) files using an app called MX Player light.

Should mention that you can get a Chromecast Audio or Chromecast (video) for a lot less money if you only care about apps that are supported and don't mind not being able to control with a remote.
Thank you! Looks like a little project that my son can tackle. Very interested in this.

As far as I'm aware, tablets, laptops, desktop all-in-ones, and most non-gamer desktop rigs these days all rely on integrated graphics, and are all entirely capable of playing music videos and performing other general computing tasks. If there even is such a thing as an all-in-one that has discrete graphics, the only reason to buy it would be for gaming or perhaps some other graphically intense task, which you don't seem to be interested in.
Good to know. Yeah, not a gamer. That's our son who somehow one day had a $2k laptop alien something computer. Amazing it is!

Yeah. Desktop. Definitely desktop. And an external DAC, as most onboard sound suffers severe suckage.

Also, people tend to ignore the other end of the DAC cable. You get serious about your music, get one of these as well ...

paul-pang-usb.jpg

Certainly the missing link here ... difference was quite remarkable on my system.

Back
Top Bottom