Looking for first DAC

Good to know, I'm just not very savvy with software type stuff but I should be fine by the sound of it. Shenzhenaudio isn't a buying option any longer, but I'm hoping the odds of getting a "fake" is minimal. I can take it apart when it shows up and compare it to the pictures I found on here to see if it looks good... Worst case scenario I return it through Amazon

Good to know, I'm just not very savvy with software type stuff but I should be fine by the sound of it. Shenzhenaudio isn't a buying option any longer, but I'm hoping the odds of getting a "fake" is minimal. I can take it apart when it shows up and compare it to the pictures I found on here to see if it looks good... Worst case scenario I return it through Amazon

I don't believe "fake" is the right word.... perhaps "different revision that was functionally identical." See here, third post from the bottom:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7flq8w/topping_d30_showed_up_the_other_day/

I got the SMSL B1 as my first time DAC to go with my Sansui AU/TU-717 combo. It's probably the best $60 bucks I've spent on audio. Does exactly what I wanted it to do; which was to stream stuff from my phone. I've also started to bring it to work as a headphone amplifier for my Sony XBA-A2 IEM's. It has an internal battery that allows 24 hours of usage without being plugged in. There are many good choices out there; this one worked for me.

I don't believe "fake" is the right word.... perhaps "different revision that was functionally identical." See here, third post from the bottom:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7flq8w/topping_d30_showed_up_the_other_day/
That's good to know, I suppose looking at the chip would be a good indicator.

I've spent a few hours listening to it and so far it sounds great. Do they get better with a break in period to let caps form? Hooked up to my Heathkit amp and Tannoys using Tidal the sound is pretty incredible, the best I've heard in my experience (including what I've heard on the top setup in the local best buy magnolia room). I can't wait to see what it sounds like when I can afford the tube preamp I want instead of using my Sansui Eight! I ordered a longer 6 foot USB cable for the Topping that is RFI shielded and has gold plated connectors.

I got the SMSL B1 as my first time DAC to go with my Sansui AU/TU-717 combo. It's probably the best $60 bucks I've spent on audio. Does exactly what I wanted it to do; which was to stream stuff from my phone. I've also started to bring it to work as a headphone amplifier for my Sony XBA-A2 IEM's. It has an internal battery that allows 24 hours of usage without being plugged in. There are many good choices out there; this one worked for me.
I have my Dragonfly DAC that I'm planning to use with my phone once Tidal upgrades the app service to allow MQA

Well, I got an NAD DAC 2 because I'm using a laptop and need a little bit of distance between the computer and the Hi-Fi. It's pretty good for what it is. My
dad has a Schiit Modi 2 Uber because it has 3 inputs. It sounds a little less harsh, and suffers from less jitter than the NAD, also a fine.

Yes the D30 was the one I was looking at, seems very favorable and budget friendly at $100 or less. What are the thoughts on FX Audio DAC-X6 at $65 on amazon? Is it comparable to the D30? Since it'll be my first DAC I don't mind getting a good yet inexpensive one - I'll wait another year or so for a way to stream to one wirelessly using aptx-hd on the Sony Xperia XZ1 compact phone I plan on getting once they drop in price more. I love the idea of being able to play lossless Bluetooth straight from my phone :)
I have an FX-Audio DAC-X6 and a much more expensive PS Audio Digital Link III, and the differences are not as great as you might think. I like the FX DAC,
Is lossless Bluetooth a thing? Never heard of that...have they changed Bluetooth specs?!?!

I've got a DAC X6. I've upgraded almost everything else in my setup and the DAC hasn't shown any sign of being a weakness. But, to be fair, how would I know? Besides, while there may possibly be differences in DACs, there absolutely ARE differences in DAC output sections. You could have the highest end chip available, but if the output section is garbage, it really won't matter.

I've got a DAC X6. I've upgraded almost everything else in my setup and the DAC hasn't shown any sign of being a weakness. But, to be fair, how would I know? Besides, while there may possibly be differences in DACs, there absolutely ARE differences in DAC output sections. You could have the highest end chip available, but if the output section is garbage, it really won't matter.

I swapped out a couple of op amps in the output section of the DAC-X6 (they were a few cents to a couple of dollars on the ol' auction site). The one I like the best is the OPA 2604. The LME49710NA didn't work very well (I think it had low volume and a channel imbalance), and the LME49860NA distorted quite badly (not sure if it was a defective unit, as a few on the internet said it worked well in the DAC - but the seller refunded my money, so all good).

I am impressed how good op amp stages can sound!

Hi, I'm looking at getting my first DAC. Once I get it I'll probably be getting Tidal to go lossless, right now for digital files I'm just using Spotify premium... Which kind of saddens me with the rest of my system. It doesn't sound bad, I just want to get the best out of what I have. Right now I'm streaming from my Surface 3tablet headphone jack to Sansui Eight as preamp to Heathkit AA 1600 power amp to Tannoy 615 speakers. There is an Arcam rDac listed nearby that seems well liked, but I'm wondering if there's anything better out there in the sub-250 range. Obviously I want a USB input, and a coax input for my CD player would be nice too, but not necessary. I know the Arcam is older, so I don't know if technology has advanced enough to where something a couple years old but used would set me up with either a comparable DAC for less or a better one for the same price. I've noticed a lot of people like the basic ones from Schiit and Topping for being priced low and having decent SQ.
Any thoughts? Thanks
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/question-about-used-dacs.863758/page-3#post-12597708

Back
Top Bottom