Looking for four cycle weed eater...which one?

I have an Echo chainsaw and trimmer. Best power equipment that I have ever owned.

With close to 4 acres to maintain the extra weight of a 4-cycle engine becomes an issue.

I'll agree it is heavy. I spend approx 3 hrs a day for a week swinging that damn thing. hard on this old mans back.

Huh, didn't know there were 4-cycle weed eaters. My old Toro 2-cycle just keeps on keepin' on so hadn't bothered looking.

I use ethanol fuel and Amsoil 100:1 premix (at about 80:1) all summer but drain it out and run a bit of that pre-mixed $5/quart gas in a can before winter storage. That stuff in the can lasts a long time so I "summerize" my 2-cycle power ice auger and 2-cycle snow thrower with it too. Use one can per year, and it can be had for less than $5 if you keep an eye out for sale.

I’m a Stihl fan.
Chainsaws, weed eaters, brush cutters.

Once got a presentation by Stihl reps at a wood turners meeting.

Proper mix is the key.

I rescued most of my Stihl.
A good cleaning and proper mix was most of the problem. A handful of new parts across a couple dozen units is all I ever needed.

Some luck finding obsolete parts on ancient units and some tips from the even older service guy has kept units running fine.

The beat to death Stihl I rescued impressed me enough to feel they are worth the cost if you want to buy the last unit you will ever need.

I know that some of the previous owners have passed and my stash will outlive me if they go to a smart enough user.

Agreed - new Toro mower and snow blower in the last couple seasons - no ethanol and no problems. Drain the tank and let it run itself out of gas before storage. Fill it up in the spring (or winter) and they both start right away.

For a trimmer, I went rechargeable. The Ryobi 40 volt is a beast for its class and I can get many trimmings in without recharging.
I use the 40 volt Ryobi stuff too and it runs for a long time on one charge... at least as long as I want to use it at any one time. Huck didn't mention how much of an area he has to work or how tough the weeds but any of the higher voltage modern electric trimmers will handle most home/yard situations with.. as they say... gas like power without any of the fuss.

I use the 40 volt Ryobi stuff too and it runs for a long time on one charge... at least as long as I want to use it at any one time. Huck didn't mention how much of an area he has to work or how tough the weeds but any of the higher voltage modern electric trimmers will handle most home/yard situations with.. as they say... gas like power without any of the fuss.
I have a fairly small yard,for which I have an 18 volt Black and Decker trimmer,but my yard backs on to a 27 acre Church property and once or twice a year we have to drive over and clear any weeds and thick grass that runs along their chain link fence,which is also my rear fence and sometimes if I let it get too neglected,the old B@D can go through two fully charged batteries......the batteries run at full power,but run down fast when chopping large weed and thick bladed grasses.
Maybe I just want to try something different for a change?! Huck

I have a fairly small yard,for which I have an 18 volt Black and Decker trimmer,but my yard backs on to a 27 acre Church property and once or twice a year we have to drive over and clear any weeds and thick grass that runs along their chain link fence,which is also my rear fence and sometimes if I let it get too neglected,the old B@D can go through two fully charged batteries......the batteries run at full power,but run down fast when chopping large weed and thick bladed grasses.
Maybe I just want to try something different for a change?! Huck
I see... well if the B&D does the job at all then I can say with full confidence that a 40 volt Ryobi with at least a 2.5 amp hour battery will go right through it. I think that combination will cost more, especially higher voltage electric using higher capacity batteries, but to me the trade off is well worth it in terms of lighter weight and practically no maintenance... no oil, gas, mess. I keep the batteries inside during the cold of winter. Ryobi is Home Depots house brand and might be the best bargain but not necessarily the best... Echo makes good ones for example. It took me a while to go Ryobi but having had good experience with a few of their products and realizing nearly all of their equipment is backwards compatible with battery packs I decided the company was thoughtfully building a customer base and went with them.

I see after some searching that Home Depot Canada carries the EGO 15 inch 56 volt,2.5 amp hour battery,variable speed,.095 bump line,$298.00 CAN.....maybe have to check it out! Thanks,Huck

I see after some searching that Home Depot Canada carries the EGO 15 inch 56 volt,2.5 amp hour battery,variable speed,.095 bump line,$298.00 CAN.....maybe have to check it out! Thanks,Huck
That's a higher end unit then the Ryobi and I think has a thicker string but not sure, Ryobi does not have variable speed which might provide extra battery time. That EGO will do the job, you'll like it... I was amazed at the power, batteries have come a long way.

I went with a Stihl fs90r for my latest unit. The dealer handed it to me tuned, tested and fueled. There is an estimated 400 yards of trimming here.

It's done the job for two years now without much drama. It doesn't get to it's power band as quick as the 2-strokes that I've owned and it took some time to adjust. There is enough power to walk away from me if I'm not keeping everything tight. The main gripe is the harness clip. It's a total piece of crap and other owners have complained about this. My personal fix was a stout swivel and spring snap. You will likely find that the harness is a big deal to reduce fatigue.

My old Echo 2-stroke didn't give me any problems either. Everyone I've talked to in the tree and lawn business carries one or both of these brands.

I see that Lowe's Canada carry a Kobalt 16 inch,80 volt trimmer....what?!! $400.00 Can.Huck

The electric trimmers look interesting. OTOH, on that EGO, the battery and charger warranty is 3 yrs (for home use). Wonder how long the battery actually lasts considering a replacement looks to be $100+?

I have a Honda HHT-31s, been super reliable, plenty of power , although it is a little heavier than a 2 stoke. I just drain the gas out of it at the end of the season.

The electric trimmers look interesting. OTOH, on that EGO, the battery and charger warranty is 3 yrs (for home use). Wonder how long the battery actually lasts considering a replacement looks to be $100+?
That is the question. I've been good with all of the Li ion batteries I've had going on several years now, haven't had a failure, same tech as what's in phones just higher capacity, or hybrid cars. Looking at high prices for replacements, I am thinking the more prolific this battery technology becomes the cheaper they will be... seems to be the pattern as competing companies start producing and packaging them as general replacements. At any rate, given the ease of use and lack of mess and fuss with fueled options, I kind of don't care in the sense I'll take my chances, the expense is worth the trade off. Now if, as above, 400 hundred yards of trimming serious weeds was involved, I want a powerful noisy gas weed whacker... a hand held version of a wheeled saw blade brush hog... no doubt.

I ended buying the EGO ST1500SF 15-inch,56 volt,2.5amp hour battery,50 minute charger,variable speed,.095 bump line....just have to wait till the grass and weeds start to grow back. I have some Vortex black.095 trimmer line on order that's supposed to be the cat's behind.
Sold my 14 year old Black @ Decker Grass Hog 18 volt trimmer with .065 line,so I should see a big difference in powerand cutting ability...I hope!
Yeah....I know,I was dead set on a 4 stroke....oh well! Thanks to all who commented! Huck

Last edited:
I bought the same EGO last year. It is as good as any gas one I had. The .095 string stands up to the chain link fence. My wife got me the matching blower for my birthday.
It got harder to rethread and the bumphead started getting holes in it. Ordered a new one from Home Despot, $19.81 w tax. I'm way south of you. so I probably use it in 1 season what will take you 3.
I saving my $$$ for the matching 2 battery mower.

I bought the same EGO last year. It is as good as any gas one I had. The .095 string stands up to the chain link fence. My wife got me the matching blower for my birthday.
It got harder to rethread and the bumphead started getting holes in it. Ordered a new one from Home Despot, $19.81 w tax. I'm way south of you. so I probably use it in 1 season what will take you 3.
I saving my $$$ for the matching 2 battery mower.

Most of the reviews of these trimmers I have seen is very positive,but some I see,have mainly battery problems,...have you had any yet? How about the factory .095 line....any complaints (breaking off,wearing down too fast,etc,how about bump line feeding problems..?)Thanks,Huck

No battery problems.
I never thought about an objective string test. Other than wearing out, bump feed is good.

I can't seem to find the wattage of the motor in these trimmers....does anyone know or can me provide a linky? Thanks,Huck

Back
Top Bottom