Looking for four cycle weed eater...which one?

I like my 4 strokes but I probably have more weeds than all of you put together.

I read somewhere,but can't remember where,that these 15 inch trimmers are supposed to have 2,000 watt motors...does that sound about right?
So doing the math,2000 watts divided by 56 volts gives 35.714 amps??...that doesn't look right?!Huck

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this...

Looking for a four cycle weed eater,maybe a Honda? Two strokes are a pain with the gas mixture and very touchy with older gas(had a Stihl 2 stroke blower that was very tempermental with any gas over 30 days old),so no more 2 strokes?!
What are you suggesting for a 4 stroke? Really looking at a Honda 35cc.Thanks,Huck
Yeah, I went with the Honda string trimmer myself two years ago--I hate any of those two-stroke engines with a passion. Mixing gas and oil and the resulting stench from the exhaust got my nerves with my old lawn tools (both by Homelite).

I bought a Makita blower and am not impressed with its little engine. It can't be tilted in any direction or it starts smoking. (It does not have the "splash" oil system which Honda's GX25 and GX35 engines have, which means they can be used in any orientation.) The dipstick is more like a thread and totally impossible to read. It even sounds like a cheap engine--it isn't smooth like the Hondas. There is no Honda blower in the US--I'd have to smuggle one over from the UK (HHB25 or HHB35, I believe).

Take care of the Honda engine and it will last a good long time. Run it out of gas every autumn, keep the oil fresh, and it'll work well. I have the older GX31 engines on both my stick edger and mini rototiller and they still run well after 15 years. My string trimmer is the smaller model from a couple of years ago with the GX25.

Honda's latest thing is the motor head with the attachment system called the VersAttach. Pricey, but I don't doubt that they are fairly well built. I like some of the attachments like the hedge trimmer and pruner. They no longer make the stick edger, so the VersAttach is the only way to get it. They also have a pancake-shaped blower that goes with this system, so they at least have a blower in their US lineup now.

It's not really fair to judge all 2 stroke engines using Homelite as your sample set.

It's not really fair to judge all 2 stroke engines using Homelite as your sample set.
I've used (but not owned) other brands of lawn/garden tools and disliked them just as much. I just had the (mis)fortune of owning the Homelites. I'm done with 2-strokes.

Back
Top Bottom