Looking for this Marantz CD player. Anyone recognize it and have any info? PIC.

The PM95 uses the 'select' TDA1541 S1 as does the CD12/DA12LE.

The Philips DFA1000 also used the TDA1541 S1 as the S2 badging didn't exist when it was built. Yours however used the 'select' TDA1541 S1 which became what we now know as the S2 (double crown). It was after these units were released, several years in fact, that the official moniker changed to show one or two crowns. It's possible that a very much later run of DFA1000s may have been equipped with the S2 moniker but I highly doubt it- did you look at the actual converter (ie, dismantle the copper box it is in)?

The difference between the 'select' S1 and a normal S1 was a guaranteed 2dB S/N @ 0dBfs- all other specs were identical.

There's all sorts of misinformation on the internet about these rare amplifiers. I've seen people saying it has 4 TDA1541s in it, or 2- fact is, it has one, just like the DA12.

I honestly cannot hear any difference between the PM95 DAC and the DA12 DAC. The DA12 DAC has three toroidal transformers in it!

On GD70's player- I always liked the logo on the power buttons- I thought it was a nice touch. Anyway, my amp pictures aren't meant to derail this thread- perhaps I should put any more in the 'show us your marantz' thread.
Thanks John for posting all those pics! These are a nice addition to the thread, certainly educational for me! The build quality is amazing! No expense spared.

Thanks!

John,
Does the 95 have the TDA1541 S2 chip? The sister amp, the Philips DFA-1000 did. I owned one a while back.
Glenn,
What's your favorite disc on it so far?
Oh and the Compact Disc logo on the button is just a nice decoration.
So far, Billy Idol that we listened to.

Well, I've listened to at least 20 more CD's with the Marantz, and I have to say, one of the best investments in a piece of gear I've made!
Exceptionally smooth, not in the least bit harsh like CD's can sound.
Highly recommend this player if you're in the market for a vintage high end player.

Awesome, GD!

I can't wait to pit my CD-63SE against my newly obtained DCD-1500 II Denon, once I fix that felt pad issue. Both are nice, I suspect the Marantz will win by a nose.

Hey Onward!
Sounds like a fun shootout once the Denon is up and running. Both are great looking players! The Denon black or silver face?

Hey Glenn!

It's a black face. I'm letting spray adhesive dry, have tried a piece of felt to correct the clamp issue. Fingers crossed.

IT WORKS!!!!!

Happy happy joy joy.

Discs that before would make the "death rattle" now play seamlessly.

Edit- Sorry for threadjack.

I love my philips CD80. Same thing as a marantz CD80 with a different badge.

I'm sure yours is great too onwardjames.

I'm hoping me and the wife will be moving soon. I've had a great CD player shootout planned for years.

Thanks, Jarred!!! Haven't seen ya around of late, good to hear you chime in.
To a bigger place with a big man cave, a bar, a 70 inch flat screen?:biggrin:

To a bigger place with a big man cave, a bar, a 70 inch flat screen?:biggrin:

One can dream, GD. One can dream. I DO have a 60'' Samsung flatscreen my old boss threw away because it quit working. $129 bucks later, I had the bad board swapped out, and enjoy a very nice picture.

As for my current digs, well, they're a bit cramped. 10' x 11' and only 2 walls, really. One is a lead-in into the kitchen, other is the back door.

Here's a pic from 2 years ago. Do these Polks make my room look fat??

WP_001271.jpg

Very cramped.

One can dream, GD. One can dream. I DO have a 60'' Samsung flatscreen my old boss threw away because it quit working. $129 bucks later, I had the bad board swapped out, and enjoy a very nice picture.

As for my current digs, well, they're a bit cramped. 10' x 11' and only 2 walls, really. One is a lead-in into the kitchen, other is the back door.

Here's a pic from 2 years ago. Do these Polks make my room look fat??

View attachment 933211

Very cramped.
Yeah, I can see that. The tops of your knees just visible gives a good idea of your "near field" listening space! Probably sounds great though, right?

Back
Top Bottom