Looking to purchase a new CD player

The Onkyo C 7030 is a fantastic player. It sounds great and will play an absolutely hammered CD with no issues. I own 3 of them, and can't see any reason to spend more money for anything else.

Onkyo 7030 is great especially if using a external DAC. I had one and worked great but sold since i'm using a Mac Mini as a music server now. 7030 can be had used on Amazon right now for $120

I would look for a used Sony dvp-s7000.

These sold for $1,000 new and it uses a separate laser for cd playback.

Can be had for $100 or so.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I will spend some time researching some of these units over the next couple of weeks before I make a decision.

I noted the weight of the Onkyo C7030 is at least twice as much as the NAD and Yamaha CD players. Does the Onkyo use a different power supply? Can't imagine why there is such a disparity in weight. Also wondering if the NAD and Yamaha units use a newer type of power supply which would result in less weight in the unit?

I noted the weight of the Onkyo C7030 is at least twice as much as the NAD and Yamaha CD players. Does the Onkyo use a different power supply? Can't imagine why there is such a disparity in weight. Also wondering if the NAD and Yamaha units use a newer type of power supply which would result in less weight in the unit?

Extra weight can be from a more robust power supply or from additional metal shielding or even just because they are using less plastic and more metal in the construction. Generally heavier means better. Generally.

Emotiva CD-100 is $299. Should be well worth that. Three year warranty. 30 day trial.

I was going to suggest if you could stretch to $500, that their ERC-3 is splendid. But is suddenly $600. And presently sold out.

The Onkyo C7030 has been on my wish list for awhile. Debatable reliability record. I'd be careful where I bought it. And consider a good extended warranty. Supposed to sound very good, though. My Onkyo DX-C390 changer has been fine and sounds good.

I have had an Onkyo 7030 for a few years and it has never skipped a beat. I also have a couple Sony DVD players that are excellent, that I bought on ebay for about $25 ea. DVNS77H I believe. I have had the Sony's for 6-8 years and they still work fine.

My choice from those listed by the OP would be Yamaha for reliability. My personal rule for decades has been that if there are moving parts, avoid NAD. They always seemed to develop early functional issues with TTs, cassette decks and CD players. Yamaha seems to do it well; they can build anything. May not be the sexiest choice, but probably will work for years without issues. Just my own opinion, not carved in stone.

Thanks for the added responses. I bought a NAD CD player in 2000. It had a one year warranty. Bit the dust about two weeks after the warranty expired. Just stopped working. I've heard they have improved the reliability of the NAD models in recent years and they no longer have major issues with moving parts except that some units still have issues with the tray not working properly after a while.

The only real concern I have with the Onkyo model is that a lot of reviewers claim it will skip on a lot of CD's even if you walk near it while it is playing. Had a similar problem with a Cambridge Audio CD player I bought in 2003. Replaced the NAD in fact.

I have a Yamaha S300 which is currently working fine. But I am wondering if that by buying a different model for my second system, I will see an improvement in the playback quality of some of the CD's I own. Or perhaps I should say a bit of a different sound?

I just dug out a cheap Teac CDP 1250 that I've owned for almost 20 years to use while I decide which new CD player to buy. Doesn't sound that bad even when up against the Yamaha. Perhaps if this tides me over for a few months, I can scrape up a little more money to use towards a CD player that is the next step up from the entry level. Might be able to budget around $500 if I am lucky but I won't know for a couple of months.

I've been told the new NAC C538 CD player has a newer Wolfson DAC which I would imagine is an improvement over the 516Bee. Waiting to see if any professional reviews show up along with user reviews before I decide which CD player to purchase.

The only hesitation I have at the moment with the Onkyo is the fact that I've read a lot of reviews where people state it skips a lot. Not all reviews of course but a fairly large number. Sound quality is excellent otherwise. If I buy new then at least I can return it and replace it.

Sam and Cat. Where did you purchase your used players? Bay? Craigslist? I will at least give a look to see what is available. Want to have a good DAC in the unit since older CD players with older DAC's don't seem to sound as good as newer models with newer DAC's on board. At least that has been the case with my ears when comparing older units that I had to newer models.
Buy it where you can get the extended warranty I think max is 4 years. Mine died shortly after the factory warranty expired and mine was sensitive to vibration as in walking to the extreme.

Tim. That makes sense if I can get an extended warranty. Did you purchase it? Many people that have compared the Onkyo 7030 to the more expensive Yamaha and NAD models think it sounds every bit as good. I think I'd have to spend at least $500 or more to see even a small improvement in the audio quality and probably more if I want to find a unit that won't potentially have mechanical flaws or other problems. A real crap shoot when you buy entry level gear in terms of the reliability.

Also, when did you purchase your unit? I've read that they've changed the DAC in the Onkyo and it now uses the same one as the the entry level Pioneer CD player. AK or something like that and NOT the Wolfson now. Happened a couple of years ago. Wondering how this impacts the sound?

C-7030 is a bargain. Buy it from a reputable dealer and if it gives you a problem send it back. I have ordered 3 and did get one that skipped. Sent it back and am listening to it right now.
I used to not like CD's, much preferred records due to the "harsh" sound cd's had. The Onkyo changed all that is a big way.

People really rave about the Onkyo 7030. I have a Tube amp and after swapping out the pre amp tube, I don't hear any harsh sound even from CD's now unless I turn up the treble on the pre amp on poorly recorded CD's. Some stuff I have from the 60's is pretty bad quality but sounds a lot better with tubes.

I've never had any of my C 7030s skip from walking past them, as a matter of fact my 85 pound dog ran into the rack one day while a CD was playing and it didn't skip.

I'm seeing a lot of reviews on Amazon from people that said skipping is a real problem. I am wondering if Amazon gets B stock or returns from Onkyo and then resells as allegedly being new units? I will check some other sites like Crutchfield to see if about the same percentage of reviewers as Amazon reviewers are claiming they have this problem.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet ?

You've got plenty of guys here including myself that are having a lot of fun with the 7030, if your that worried it's gonna die, skip whatever, hell any machine can do that regardless of cost. It's not like your out 1000's of dollars.

Just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom