Looking to upgrade my Denon 2808 and need advice before entering this new frontier!

oldtexasdog

Hey all
I think my old Denon 2808 AVR is getting a little long of tooth
smile.gif
/ and am thinking of upgrading it.
I am looking not only for everything a AVR should do right but a SUPERIOR Audio performance.

What I don’t like about the Denon 2808
Not enough HDMI inputs
Not enough Optical inputs
Does not support new video or audio codices
Cannot run a second channel eq as it's audesay all or EQ all
Hard to get subs to run right and only one channel for both of my subs
Crazy ass bad AI and instructions

What I like about it
Output wattage 110W per channel-would like more
Separate second room input that I use to drive a dedicated 2 channel system on a separate amp
Burr Brown DAC's
Separate amps for each channel
Real good sound on audio

What I need to hook up
Plasma TV
Channel Master DVR+ (I am a cord cutter and am on OTA)
Amazon Fire TX Box
OPPO BDP83 with upgraded audio option(I use this for Video DVD and as a single disk CD player)
Sony CX355 CDP CD juke box-300 CD's and I was going to get a separate Schitt DAC but hope this AVR will have excellent (better than my current Bur Browns DAC's and save me an expense?
Carver M-1.0t MKII-Opt2 2 channel amp to a set of B&W 801's dedicated 2-channel music
Two Carver True Sub Sig's
Wharfdale towers, center, and, dipole rears.

I have been looking at the Mrantz 7011 with HDAM technology and the Denon X4300H. I can't seem to find any info on the DAC' or op amps they use though, and the Marantz is considerably more expensive. It would be nice to future proof my system with this purchase.

Any help here would be GREAT!! I am not sold on any brand and my ears are open. Price I would like to keep below 1500.00 new or used but thay budget is flexiable to a small dregree.
Thanks in advance for your input.
James

Last edited:
I did some research myself and checked reviews from owners and magazines to find a Dolby Atmos AVR for my rec room. Reliability, SQ and value were what I was looking for. Yamaha's Aventage Rx-A770 (7 x 95w) to the A2070 (9 x 140w) appear to be top values. I went with the A770 and have been very pleased with it in terms of operation and SQ.

9 channels is best if you plan on using Dolby Atmos or DTS-X, But there is a big difference in price between the A870, Which I would recommend for you if you can live with just 7.2 channels, and the 2070 9 channel model, Which would be in the top range of your budget. Both the 870 and 2070 have preamp outputs, but I doubt you will ever need them.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/index.html

Back
Top Bottom