Looks alone: Best looking equipment?

On my short list to own. Listened to a pair about 15 years ago and was amazed of their reproduction ability. They were being fed by a McIntosh tube system (cannot remember the models) and a Thorens TD124 as the source. I do remember the LP, which was Luciano Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma. Probably one of the few times I have just closed my eyes and listened. RIP Mr. Pavarotti.

RM30%20piano%20rosewood.jpg
They look nice but what’s the model ?

Audiofreak71

Ok, forget sound quality and specs for a change and let's be superficial. What is the best looking piece of vintage gear you have ever owned?

Of course choosing the "best looking" is a subjective excercise, but it should be fun to see the different tastes and whether there is a consensus on a certain model, brand or style.
Not mine, but look pretty cool for lower end I reckon

Attachments

• IMG_1395.JPG
    IMG_1395.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 48
I think Braun equipment from the 1960s is pretty amazing looking.

Also, there's Bang & Olufsen, some of their designs look great.

And, it's really hard to beat the looks of the old Marantz tube gear, like the 7, 8, 9, and 10.

For speakers, I have to say the Yamaha NS-1000 looks all business, but has nice proportions.

The older AR speakers with the beige grills have some real style too.

Then there's the JBL Paragon, which is almost a piece of sculpture.

I think Luxman equipment from the late 1970s has a unique and attractive sense of style to it.

I'd have to say it's a tie between the Yamaha CR2020 and the Marantz Quad 4270 with wood case. Still have both of them. For a speaker it would be the Wharfedale W70, which I also still have. Got rid of the ugly stuff.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^
Sadly I acknowledge the quality of Marantz equipment, but think it among the worst designed in history. Font choices alone were just tacky, no matter how I look at it. Bougie trash. Marketing on the whole, embarrassing.

^^^^^^^^
Sadly I acknowledge the quality of Marantz equipment, but think it among the worst designed in history. Font choices alone were just tacky, no matter how I look at it. Bougie trash. Marketing on the whole, embarrassing.
You may get eaten alive for that, but I have to agree about the lettering, particularly the 'commercial script' -- however that hasn't stopped me from buying a couple Marantz pieces.

I wanted to use one of these chassis to make a Class-D amp. But they did this:
s-l1600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom