looks like i cooked my dmm real good

petehall347

the brandy coffee man
i am rather gutted after cooking my meter . i was attempting to test the voltage for a projector lamp .
i did a good of it this time . the magic smoke poured out ...
now i am on the hunt for same model again but seems to be discontinued .

Attachments

• 2016-09-08 17.37.45.jpg
    2016-09-08 17.37.45.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 134
precision gold wg020 .
exactly the same as a CHY20 .but this one is pretty expensive right now .
ramka_10197.jpg

I feel your pain. I've had my Fluke 73 since the day they came out, and would be crushed if it gave up the ghost. OTOH, look at this as an upgrade opportunity!

I was messing around with the ice maker on my refrigerator a couple of months ago. It stopped running and the are test points that you can measure voltage and even jump to force the timer motor to advance. I figured, why not just use the amps setting and use the probes as the jumper. I used the 10A and common connection on the meter. Well, I misread the damned letter and stuck the probe in the wrong hole. I went across 120V. Popped the fuse but also burned a couple of resistors up. I don't use the 10A function anyway and the rest still works fine. It did scare the piss out of me though!

trouble is i cant find an upgrade to this one .plus it matches the other one i have . so is or rather was good for setting up 2 channels at a time .
it has to be without auto-range as i cant get on with it one bit .and it needs the features or more than the old one . i use all those features .
i like to keep one in the workshop and the other in the car . unless i need to use both at same time of course .
was my own stupid fault for believing the lamp run off 220v thats what it says on the adverts for the lamp .. no way .. probably more like 20.000 volts by the noises it made .
i was actually close to putting the lamp back in and just trying it but thought what the hell i will test voltage first after defeating the safety switch for the cover it didn't come with .

74 bucks not too too brutal (Though you didn't see me cry when i blew up my nine dollar harbor freight meter:mad:)

OHM my God that's high voltage!:confused:

i am thinking its a mercury lamp and 200 watts . i had meter on ac 750v setting .. i guess it must get much higher in open circuit especially when starting the lamp up ..basically my meter was trying to be a mercury lamp and didn't do a very good job of it .
have just learned they are run from dc . cant see meter on ac doing it though .

I feel your pain. I've had my Fluke 73 since the day they came out, and would be crushed if it gave up the ghost. OTOH, look at this as an upgrade opportunity!
I had a Fluke 73 for years also. It went last time my house was broken into. I miss it.

I'm thinking open circuit on a mercury lamp will be really high until it fires and conducts current. I have a mercury lamp unit for lab use and it has a separate start button to pulse it. I used to worry about matched meters and even had two HP 3400 rms meters, but these days I don't give it a second thought. Any calibrated meters will get the job done. I have the hand-held Fluke, but mostly I use larger and more accurate bench meters picked up cheap. All it takes is bench space!

As I have mentioned before, sometimes moving electrons from one place to another (although they do not actually flow along a wire) can be like herding cats.

I am glad you did not get scratched...

i am thinking its a mercury lamp and 200 watts . i had meter on ac 750v setting .. i guess it must get much higher in open circuit especially when starting the lamp up ..basically my meter was trying to be a mercury lamp and didn't do a very good job of it .
have just learned they are run from dc . cant see meter on ac doing it though .

Yeah, if it is any sort of arc lamp they usually have a high voltage starting pulse.

I lost a nice Beckman industrial meter to a plasma cutter about 20 years ago. About the time I hit the trigger it occured to me what happens then it was too late. It was like a mini lightning storm inside the meter. Didn't go out of the case but none the less I was damn glad I wasn't holding it.

As I have mentioned before, sometimes moving electrons from one place to another (although they do not actually flow along a wire) can be like herding cats.

I am glad you did not get scratched...

I thought the electrons did move along the wire. From this atom to the next, bumping a different one free to move on. Do this bumping enough and since the electrons in the outer shell, don't they remain in the outer shell, then an electron, the one that started it all would eventually come popping out the other end of the conductor. Completely unknown by me as to how long that would take.

well after searching for a like for like replacement i decided to see if i can get one or even both of the ones i blew up previously .. i have a bag of 25 op amps coming so will swap those first .. obviously not that many in the meters but i like to have spares .. its all nasty smd work too .
one meter not reading ac volts at all the other was reading until i borrowed an op amp to try in the other meter which still doesn't read acv .
so things are worse than in started but this is pretty normal for me .

Seems to be £5.70 (3-4 days) - doesn't seem like there is any option for cheaper/slower. :(

Last edited:
these smd dual jfets will be here tomorrow so will see if i can get one working properly .. i think the one that was reading wacky on 750v dc might be a resistor gone high in the voltage divider ..trouble is is finding the divider amongst all these tiny parts .. manufacturer is not telling me anything apart from send it in for repair ..post to Taiwan might be a bit steep .

Back
Top Bottom