Loose Wire Wrap Pin

motorcityguy

Was cleaning up the inside of a recent receiver purchase, and noticed one of the wire wrap pins was somewhat loose to the touch. It was at the edge of the board.

I figured it was a bad/broken solder joint, but when I looked at the bottom of the circuit board, I found the solder joint was fine. Turns out the entire copper trace (complete with solder joint) was lifting off the edge of the board, allowing the wire wrap pin to rock.

I still have electrical contact, but don't want to leave the pin "loose". Can I just use a dab of super glue to hold the copper trace back to the board? I can't think of any other solutions.

A picture would be helpful but I think I would remove the wire wrap pin and feed the wire through the hole and solder onto the track. Hopefully the wire insulation is too thick to feed through the hole. Depends on how much of the copper trace is loose. You will probably have to scrape some of the mask off to expose more of the track for more solder contact. I don’t think super glue will provide a lasting repair.

2 Part Epoxy will make a longer lasting repair even if you de-mount the wrap pin. And it won't take much. A small drip of each part mixed and spread between the trace and board with a wood sliver should do the trick. Put a round toothpick thru the top of the hole and twist a few turns then pull it out. This should clear the hole. Let setup overnight then scrape the trace to get the mask off and either solder the pin back in or just go with the wire, and bend it over the trace.

Back
Top Bottom