Lost battery fill caps...

knockbill

Lunatic Member
Took them off to charge the battery and drove off without replacing them,,, looked all over, even the Dorman Help line, can't find a source,,, any ideas who/where I can get a pair??
Thanks...

If it were me, I would go to an auto parts store that sells batteries and beg for a set off of a old core. They bust the cases up anyway during the remanufacturing process...I don't see why they could not spare a set?

+1...
That's what I tried before posting,,,got turned down a few times,,, but...
Went to Pep Boys and he gave me a pair off a core that just came in!!!
Good Karma!

+1...
That's what I tried before posting,,,got turned down a few times,,, but...
Went to Pep Boys and he gave me a pair off a core that just came in!!!
Good Karma!

Been there,done that!The ones used on motorcycle batteries are the worst. Between the small size (try finding one when you drop it) and the ease with which they break (even when finger tightening) I raid the local bike shop regularly. He usually gives me a bag of old ones from cores.

I think he pities me when he sees me rattle into his parking lot on my old Brits. ''Poor old guy doesn't even have an electric start,the shifter's on the wrong side,and drum brakes too!:(''

Yep,,,
I took the caps off the batt in the 68 vet so I could use the wagon, but it was finally a nice day, no rain, and I wanted to take the vet out for a ride!!!!

IMHO, it's best to leave battery caps on, even when charging.

I've only seen one battery explode in my life. It was in garden tractor and severely overcharged by a defective charger.

The battery was under the seat and blew when I turned the key. It made a sound like a shotgun, and gave me a kick in the craw.

It was scarey, but I didn't get any acid on me.

That's true.

Nowadays, I don't even check the water level in mine. If my smart charger won't charge it, I take it to O'reilly's for a cell test. If it fails, I replace it.

I guess I could do better.

IMHO, it's best to leave battery caps on, even when charging.

I've only seen one battery explode in my life. It was in garden tractor and severely overcharged by a defective charger.

The battery was under the seat and blew when I turned the key. It made a sound like a shotgun, and gave me a kick in the craw.

It was scarey, but I didn't get any acid on me.

Kick in the craw....LOL

Modern batteries are vented whether caps are on or off. As long as you are in a ventilated area away from open flame, you should be ok.
Its hard to use the hydrometer without taking the caps off...

I think the jerks at the auto parts store who kept turning you down was the real problem with your situation.

The battery jumped up and hit the bottom of the seat (I was sitting on it). Fortunately the split was around the bottom corner, that part stayed in the plastic well.

My dad had left it on a defective charger for an unknown amount of time. He said a couple of hours. Mom said he hadn't worked on it for at least two days. She said this after the explosion.

I took the charger off, and turned the key. BOOM !

I think he pities me when he sees me rattle into his parking lot on my old Brits. ''Poor old guy doesn't even have an electric start,the shifter's on the wrong side,and drum brakes too!:(''

Can't be THAT old if it's got a battery, eh. <G>

PS ... didja let him tickle yer carbs?

Was just working on my latest "brit" bike ... direct ripoff of the Bonneville anyway, only I'm pleased to say, Paul Lucas had nothing to do with the electrics!

83-xs650-paint-(4).jpg

It's an '83 650 Heritage Special. Painted and detailed the motor today. Steel only needs a good buff out to git er done. Always liked the '77 paint scheme, and I just so happened to have a set of OEM decals collecting dust ...

83xs-paint-(6).jpg

Beats the carp out of the bug bomb black it was when I picked it up off CL. Saw the ad ... "no title, boxes included, $300" ... how could I pass on that?

Er ... what was the topic? <G>

The only batt I ever saw explode was at an auto cross,,, my buddy hooked up his big block 70 vet,,, and broke a half shaft,,, it came up through the floor, and smashed the batt (its behind the drivers seat on a C3)!!
we got him out and rinsed off without too many acid burns...

What were we talkin about????

Aren't the battery caps for the '68 Corvette supposed to have vent tubes that drop out the bottom of the battery box?

Easy.....

The auto wrecking yard !
Not too many '68 Corvettes in wrecking yards.

The battery in a '68 and newer Corvettes goes in a compartment right behind the driver's seat. They have special caps with hose barbs on them instead of vent slots, and there's rubber hoses that slip on the barbs and vent out the bottom of the box.

Not too many '68 Corvettes in wrecking yards.

The battery in a '68 and newer Corvettes goes in a compartment right behind the driver's seat. They have special caps with hose barbs on them instead of vent slots, and there's rubber hoses that slip on the barbs and vent out the bottom of the box.

You keep the same original battery in your car ??? As a mechanic I can say that there are better replacements...and made by AC Delco !

You keep the same original battery in your car ??? As a mechanic I can say that there are better replacements...and made by AC Delco !
Nope, but I kept the battery caps. They're worth a lot of money to a die-hard collector. A pair sold on ebay in April for $89.99

I never said there weren't better replacements - just not the same as the originals.

Back
Top Bottom