Lost in Space (2018) Netflix April 13, 2018

Just got a note from Netflix about a reboot of the 1960’s Lost In Space TV series. Here is the first teaser. This should be interesting. I watched the original, even when it got stupid.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5232792/
Woah is me!!
It got stupid during the 1st episode when Doctor Smith sabotaged the ship ...
and I had such high hopes for the original concept!

I'll take the original Space Family Robinson comics any day ... ;)

Space_Family_Robinson_1.jpg

Last edited:
The original was very campy, it was great. My two favorite episodes were "Collision of Planets" and "Revolt of the Androids".

Fun Dr. Smith quotes; "Who put this pebble in my way?" then blows the boulder aside lol, and "Out of my way ninny!" and picks up the robot by the neck one handed and moves him to the side, great stuff.

Or the androids "Crush, kill, and destroy, crush, kill, and destroy", some great television for kids at the time, my brothers and I loved it.

Smitty was a riot. My favorite scene was when Dr. Robinson was discussing how they were low on water and they needed to ration every drop and then walks around the Jupiter 2 to find Dr. Smith taking a shower with his cap and brush...:D

The pain the pain...:D

What a riot.

Bubble headed boobie indeed!

Some things are just best left alone....

flashbaksmith6.jpg

Smitty was a riot. My favorite scene was when Dr. Robinson was discussing how they were low on water and they needed to ration every drop and then walks around the Jupiter 2 to find Dr. Smith taking a shower with his cap and brush...:D

The pain the pain...:D

What a riot.

Bubble headed boobie indeed!

Some things are just best left alone....

View attachment 1120842
Thanks for reminding me about that one lol. Ya, Dr Smith definitely made the show, with everyone else other than the robot as his straight men. The robot was Smith's Mr Moose dropping the ping pong balls from time to time.

As a kid I was so looking forward to Lost in Space TV series because I too was a fan of the comic book. I was quickly disappointed.

I'm a huge fan of the original series. I'm of the opinion that the dopey / cheesy factor of the original is what MADE it such a classic. And that's what they forgot when the movie came out in 1998. I'd certainly argue that at least half of the first season was somewhat thoughtful sci-fi, but with elements of the absurd. By the second half of season one it had already devolved into camp. We all know where it went from there! 50 years later, I still feel that Dr. Smith is one of the greatest television characters ever created.

I'll give the Netflix series a shot, but I'm not counting on much.

I remember a fun fact regarding Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith) and how he was credited as a "special guest star" during the opening of every episode. I'll just copy and paste it:

"Harris beat out two other actors for the role of conniving, milksop, cowardly agent Dr. Zachary Smith on Lost In Space for CBS. The character did not appear in the original 1965 pilot episode (nor did the Robot). The series was already in production when he joined the cast and the starring/co-starring billings had already been contractually assigned, so Harris received a Special Guest Star credit on every episode."

As a kid, I remember making the Jupiter 2 out of paper plates, stapled face to face! Anyone else ever do that?

As a kid, I remember making the Jupiter 2 out of paper plates, stapled face to face! Anyone else ever do that?

Me and a friend used to carve, shave and sand replicas of the Jupiter 2 from pieces of styrofoam and used those little plastic gumball machine doo-dads for the dome on top.
In school on the day after each weekly episode a bunch of us (the boys, of course) would draw the episode from the night before.

Lost In Space, was a campy fun show. One of my 60s staples, along with Star Trek, Batman, and daily episodes of Dark Shadows. I barely made it off the school bus each day, to be able to run in and catch the beginning of Dark Shadows.

The Robot was the star of the show for me. Dick Tufeld and Bob May created an excellent character. I always rooted for it. And I was in heaven when Robby The Robot guest starred. Two of cinemas best robots. Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom