Lost in Space, A History

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just finished watching, again, Lost in Space (1998) an incredibly over blown turkey. It got me thinking of the history of this title. How many of you know "Lost in Space" was based on a comic book. Space Family Robinson who's first issue was published in December 1962. This was one of my favorite comic books at the time. I have known for a long time the CBS Lost in Space TV series which started in 1965 was based on the comic but I didn't know the details. It turns out that Irwin Allen, and CBS did not obtain a license from Western Publishing who published the comic. Western Publishing chose to settle and part of the settlement was to use Lost in Space in the title of the Comic. The original comic series ended with #36 in October 1969. I remember when I learned of the Lost in Space TV series I was really excited I was hoping for something like the comic. Boy was I disappointed.
Issue #1, December 1962
851fb91bf73cc104fcd0c6d3bc75f55f.jpg

Space Family Robinson had a Space Station which had some kind of drive system I thought the telescope on the middle was clever, and they had neatest space shuttles.

MoC32802.jpg

b13fbecd7bd16364cd6a59dba6008994.jpg

The 1st season or so (black and white episodes) wasn't so bad. I think there was some kind of effort being made with it somewhere but it seems as the Robinsons drifted on out into space and into color production something really went haywire and it ended up being one of those ROTFLMAO sort of deals.
Still, I watch it when I can catch it just for the nostalgia.
Even "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" has some merit if you're doing some good psychedelics.

Which begs the question - how the hell did they fit that (AND the Space Pod) into the Jupiter 2 exactly?
The deal was, if you were a kid and the show was at the top of your main menu every week, they just fit and we didn't ask questions.
I do understand what you're saying tho.

The deal was, if you were a kid and the show was at the top of your main menu every week, they just fit and we didn't ask questions.
I do understand what you're saying tho.

Oh yeah, I understand that. Facetious question :)

Gotta admit that my favorite episodes are the campy ones.

I recently watched the first episode on Netflix or Amazon...I don't recall exactly.
The Robinsons left the Earth to search for a suitable new place for humans to inhabit due to the problem of overpopulation,
a subject that I recall being discussed frequently when I was a kid back then. No discussions of that subject these days.
I remember that in their prep for the long flight the crew was loaded into individual tubes to be put into suspended animation.
I laughed because the crew was standing up when they were sent into dreamland. I guess it would have cost too much money to create some
sort of sleeping chambers like Alien or 2001 for each crew member since they were only in these tubes for a few minutes as the infamous Dr. Smith started causing problems right away.
I thought that pet monkey thing with the funky ears was dumb as well, even as a 10 year old.
I never made it back for episode two. I tried the Time Tunnel but that lasted about 5 minutes.
Oh well so much for the good ole golden days of T.V. unless I can find Johnny Quest or the Thunderbirds so until then it's back to Westworld, Game of Thrones, The Path, Shameless &c....

dumBloop1.jpg Let them eat cake!

The first season, especially the first half, of the TV series was an effort at fairly serious sci-fi in the "Star Trek" mold. Smith was devious and a crack shot, the Robot was unpredictable due to Smith's tinkering, and they were constantly facing mortal danger. After that, they saw the "Batman" ratings and went campy.

Billy Mumy went on to star in Babylon 5 and joined a band - don't know about the rest, but I suppose Robby is still cracking jokes like, "Oxygen? I rarely use it myself sir - it promotes rust."

Just finished watching, again, Lost in Space (1998) an incredibly over blown turkey. It got me thinking of the history of this title. How many of you know "Lost in Space" was based on a comic book. Space Family Robinson who's first issue was published in December 1962. This was one of my favorite comic books at the time. I have known for a long time the CBS Lost in Space TV series which started in 1965 was based on the comic but I didn't know the details. It turns out that Irwin Allen, and CBS did not obtain a license from Western Publishing who published the comic. Western Publishing chose to settle and part of the settlement was to use Lost in Space in the title of the Comic. The original comic series ended with #36 in October 1969. I remember when I learned of the Lost in Space TV series I was really excited I was hoping for something like the comic. Boy was I disappointed.
Issue #1, December 1962
851fb91bf73cc104fcd0c6d3bc75f55f.jpg

I remember those Gold key Comics - and was really happy to see the TV show start -
until Dr Zachary Smith started his full wailing worst during the first episode and
I realized it was a cheap version of what could have been a really neat Science Fiction TV show.
Instead, it was just ... bad cinema! Broke my heart - what a waste of a good idea!
Never gave it a second chance after that ... tho my brother was a fan of that TV show.

I remember those Gold key Comics - and was really happy to see the TV show start -
until Dr Zachary Smith started his full wailing worst during the first episode and
I realized it was a cheap version of what could have been a really neat Science Fiction TV show.
Instead, it was just ... bad cinema! Broke my heart - what a waste of a good idea!
Never gave it a second chance after that ... tho my brother was a fan of that TV show.

I am so old that I remember they gave Gold Key Comics away at Carroll's before Burger King took over the locations back in the early 70s. Remember the round shaped toasted cheese sandwiches? I just remember them in NYS

There was one episode they where in that tracked vehicle thing. It was super hot Kathleen Robinson (June Lockhart) had passed out or something. The only thing I can remember about the episode, being about 13 years old with hormones starting to kick in was a very near "costume malfunction" beings how it was super hot Mrs Robinson was not wearing a brassiere. Prof John Robinson (Guy Williams) picked up a semi conscious Kathleen off the ground and in the process almost squeezed out one of her breasts, it was a close thing, or at least that is how it seemed to that 13 or so year old. Now I am going to have to figure out which episode that was so I can watch it and laugh at the memory. Now that I think about it I don't think the parents had a color TV yet so this glorious vistage would have been B&W. :naughty:

Last edited:
Maureen Robinson! Or was it Judy Robinson???
I can watch the first 3-5 episodes, with the great FOX SPFX done by Howard Lydecker and company. I own a copy of the 4 foot Jupiter 2 Hull! hated the Bloop. Hated most all the monsters except the Cyclops and big eyed seaweed monster. The Jupiter 2 SPFX model was very elegant with the footpad doors sliding away before the full gear legs dropped. it used a mechanical light system, and the 3 wires holding the model up were the power lines for the landing gear. The Chariot was stored as a kit onboard the J2. The original Chariot has been restored recently, as well as the 1st Flying saucer model the Gemini 12.

Back
Top Bottom