Lost in the Bermuda Triangle of choosing a Bookshelf Speaker

If I was buying new I would 100% go in that direction but there are a few 2's for sale out and about right now.

Do those versions have the same volume constraints as the early models? Once listened for a few hours near field...sounded amazing but I like to listen at moderate volumes. I don't know much about the evolution of the product, they they improve upon the power handling/efficiency?

Do those versions have the same volume constraints as the early models? Once listened for a few hours near field...sounded amazing but I like to listen at moderate volumes. I don't know much about the evolution of the product, they they improve upon the power handling/efficiency?

Hi! I saw the reference to the Qual ESL 988 that we have in the showroom, and thought it might be OK to address this question. The 988/989 are much easier to live with, and power, than the earlier ESL-57 and ESL-63 variants. Each speaker uses 4 panels, a revised power supply network, and a stronger armature. All of these things reduce or eliminate the arcing and vibration that occurred on earlier models when connected to higher power amplifiers. The ESL-57s for example would top out at 12-20 watts per side before the arcing risk became apparent. Given their relatively low efficiency, that meant a listening position that was relatively near field was necessary. This is not the case with the 988s. I have had them connected to a Plinuis 9100 integrated (90 wpc, Solid state, Class AB) and an Audiomat Arpége tube integrated (30 wpc push-pull tube integrated which "switches" from Class A to Class AB operation at 15 watt output). Either amplifier provides plenty of power for the 988s, and although the presentations are vastly different between the two amps, the enjoyment and clarity of the music, especially vocals, is astonishingly good. And since the 988s are low on efficiency (86 db), even when you turn the volume up, you still get an amazing wrap-around presentation.

The things that make 988s different: They are a true dipole and therefore need a lot of room from the back and side walls to really create that sense of depth and height that Quads have been known for, for almost 70 years. In my room, I had to move them out from the rear wall about 8 feet, position them relatively close to one another (about 8 feet apart), with a slight toe-in, and raise the front legs by about 3/4" to tile them back slightly. I have 13' ceilings in my showroom, so your situation will likely differ, but the point is, placement is key.

Hope this helps. If you are indeed interested, feel free to DM me and we can discuss further and work out the details. I can also put you in touch with Sheldon if you have technical questions about his process, but his web site outlines all of the steps be takes in a restoration.

Finally, if you are still looking for a more traditional stand-mount dynamic speaker, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I have very limited quantities of the HHA Cionnsaile Monitor available. They play nicely with PS Audio equipment, as well as the aforementioned Plinius and Audiomat, the Plinius Inspire 880, Musical Fidelity M6si, Heaven11 Billie, and the Sudden Bijou system which is only a 15 watt Class A setup, but plays remarkably well. More info on the web site: www.holthill.com

I wasn't specifically looking I was just curious if modern Quads exhibited the same behavior as the original product. I appreciate the very detailed response I love it! It's so disappointing that I'm in Nashville and am unable to demo speakers....very few audio stores here and the one that does exist (HiFi buys) has a limited selection, etc.

I wasn't specifically looking I was just curious if modern Quads exhibited the same behavior as the original product. I appreciate the very detailed response I love it! It's so disappointing that I'm in Nashville and am unable to demo speakers....very few audio stores here and the one that does exist (HiFi buys) has a limited selection, etc.

Ironic that there's a lack of hifi stores in Nashville, of all places!

Surreal right? Music City and I believe there is literally one hifi store called "Hifi Buys' that has a limited selection of things to audition. It's super disappointing and it's so hard to figure out what you like in a climate like this!

Surreal right? Music City and I believe there is literally one hifi store called "Hifi Buys' that has a limited selection of things to audition. It's super disappointing and it's so hard to figure out what you like in a climate like this!

Try finding something near Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Or just find a buddy with a cache of great stuff. Happen to know anyone? :rflmao:

Nice to see you posting so quick Tim! I did add you to my 'follow' list this AM! You'll have to send me an email with the name and info regarding the killer live recordings. You enjoying your 880's????

Nice to see you posting so quick Tim! I did add you to my 'follow' list this AM! You'll have to send me an email with the name and info regarding the killer live recordings. You enjoying your 880's????

I'll be hooking those up tomorrow, they look so nice, anxious to spin something thru them.

I'll PM the rest, keep the thread on track.

Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

I have been trying to put together a new stereo system for myself...something just for music in a modest sized apartment. Looking for high value components that punch above their weight.

I have pretty much settled on a PS Audio Gain Cell Preamp/DAC and their S300 amplifier...140w 8 ohm / 300w into 4 ohms. Class A input stage, class D amplification. Upgraded signal power cables. Add blue jean balanced cables and speaker cables. a cambridge CXC CD transport for use with the built-in PS Audio ESS Sabre hyperstream DAC, and upgrade the ortofon cartridge on my existing U-turn custom turntable.

The problem now is speakers....I had started by looking at floor standing models (definitive, martin logan, B&W), but I’m in an apartment and will be moving at the first of the year, and am unsure of how much space i will have....so i shifted to bookshelf models possibly with a pair of sealed subs.

I’ve heard the B&W 705 S2 at magnolia. I auditioned the dynaudio special 40 which I thought sounded beautiful. The rep from PS Audio recommended Harbeth and Tekton as having great synergy with their amps..but i haven’t heard either and I’ve also had people urge me to check out sonus faber, revel, monitor and zu audio.

the more i look, the less i see. i feel like i’m wading through wet concrete.

Does anyone own something in this class that they feel represents a standout value in the $3500ish a pair and under category? I’m looking for a great all-arounder for someone who just wants to sit down and enjoy listening to music.

Out on KSL.com classified you will find a pair of Status Acoustics “Voce Fina” granite speakers. They are one of the finest bookshelf speakers in the world. The head of Audioholics put them as his reference bookshelf against which all others are judged. They haven’t been bested yet, and at $5k, a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom