Lou Reed - Rock 'N' Roll Animal

ive got it on..my copy is RCA Victor. Im guessing I bought it around 87 (pre-owned)...so I would guess its a mid-80s copy

im digging it

I think I remember the print ad for this when it was being released. It was a picture of the album cover with the sub-title "It's A Bitch." Also, maybe someone can clear up the confusion of my memory about this rekkid- I could have sworn the original release was a double album. Can anyone either set me straight or confirm?

I can't confirm.
I googled "Rock n Roll Animal It's a Bitch" and found this page:

http://www.arrakis.es/~e.miquel/rnranimal/

Here's what it has to say about his albums(The entry about 'Take No Prisoners,is funny):

http://www.arrakis.es/~e.miquel/rnranimal/officiallp.htm

His backing bands:

http://www.arrakis.es/~e.miquel/rnranimal/loubands.htm
http://www.arrakis.es/~e.miquel/rnranimal/officiallp.htm

...maybe someone can clear up the confusion of my memory about this rekkid- I could have sworn the original release was a double album. Can anyone either set me straight or confirm?

My copy (RCA/Japan/Promo) is a single (LP) disc in a fold-out gatefold cover. As I recall, that's the configuration of the U.S, release, too.

One of the best rock live albums of all time. I went out and got the remastered CD with the two new songs a couple of years ago, and gave my old CD to a buddy. I wish I would have kept the old disc, the new one seems pretty loud and I don't think the two new songs are worth it (this could just be nostalgia I reckon), also it was nice to have a "short" live album. I think I might ask my buddy to trade for a while so I get to hear the old disc.

rock on

One of the best rock live albums of all time. I went out and got the remastered CD with the two new songs a couple of years ago, and gave my old CD to a buddy. I wish I would have kept the old disc, the new one seems pretty loud and I don't think the two new songs are worth it (this could just be nostalgia I reckon), also it was nice to have a "short" live album. I think I might ask my buddy to trade for a while so I get to hear the old disc.

rock on

I think it may be nostalgia, buddy! :music: I did the same thing with my old copy. I find the remaster to be much clearer (not in a clinical way), better sounding, and the new tunes are always appreciated. It's louder, but not in a "compressed" way. Lou is such a fanatic with his recordings (and electronics)...I wonder if he would have let this out if it sounded sloppy.

Here is what the bassist (Prakash John) said about the album:

Wagner and Hunter - I remember this clearly - all these guys that came after Wagner and Hunter in '73, all these guys in that band Aerosmith, and a band called Boston, they'd have those dueling guitar things, you know... leads, harmonizing - they got that all from Wagner and Hunter. These guys use to come and follow us all over the place - New York, Boston, wherever we were playing with Lou Reed. Next thing I know, I listen to their albums, and it sounds like Wagner and Hunter. And good for them, but people should acknowledge that Wagner and Hunter were the originators. They're the guys who made that sound. If you hear that live album, Rock N Roll Animal, play the intro to "Sweet Jane." I'm telling you, that will give you and idea of what the two Detroit guys - well, Hunter came from Decatur, Illinois - and Whitey and I from Toronto, with our R&B roots, hammering away on a Lou Reed song. It's unedited. The beauty of that is none of the mistakes are fixed. Nothing is fixed on that album. It's a true live album. It was the third day I was in that band. I rehearsed one day, played in Toronto - of all places - the opening night, the next night was in New York and they recorded this album. When we were with Alice Cooper, people all over the world would always play that album, more than Welcome to My Nightmare, so that usually used to irritate Alice. That album got such rave reviews that even Lou Reed hates it, because a lot of people started panning him because of his singing, and I thought that was kind of unfair. Lou Reed has his own style - great lyricist - and people shouldn't judge him on his ability to sing. Nobody said he had to be Al Green or Frank Sinatra. He's Lou Reed. He can sing in that monotone voice, and if he didn't, it would sound silly. Anyway, Lou doesn't acknowledge that album, but that is a famous album, and everywhere in Europe, they'd play it.

People still e-mail me about that album. The president of the Jack Bruce fan club finally got a hold of me a couple years ago. He'd been looking for me because was such a fan of Jack Bruce, but he was also a fan of Chris Squire and, oddly enough, me. He was telling me how influential that album was to a lot of people in Australia. Get it, play it full blast, and think of yourself at the Academy of Music in New York. Steve Katz, the guitar player for Blood, Sweat, and Tears, produced that album... the most unusual guy to produce that album, but nevertheless, the best guy, because he left it alone. That's probably my favorite album of all the albums I've done. I've done stuff that's maybe technically better, but every time that album is played, it sounds just like the way we recorded it. There's Lou reed coming in a bar early, two bars late... but that's how he is. You would be surprised at how many people talk about "Sweet Jane" alone. People just go mental when they find out that I played on it or they've been looking for me.

Outtakes of that album actually ended up on an album called Lou Reed Live. That's a prime example of RCA Records ripping off the bloody musicians. They have two albums, they pay us for one, but they can get away with it, because it was outtakes of the previous album. You couldn't give each musician a couple grand in the early '70s? That's the stuff that really irks me about the business. Once in a while I may think of it in a conversation like this, but really, the overriding factor is the music.

I didn't know till this last year that it was basically Mott the Hoople backing him up. Did Bowie have something to do with that combo? I know he helped Mott get on track.

Are we talking about Lou's RnR Animal LP? Nobody from Mott was there, and Bowie was long gone from Reed's scene (or was it vice versa). Bob Ezrin put this band together.

mg196,
Thanks for the reminiscences from Prakash John.

It is an awesome album.One of The Best. :yes: :thmbsp:

Ooops! Someone told me this was Mott backing him and I believed it. Different Hunter I see.

Thanks for correcting me!

What did Hunter and Wagner do after this?

Not to veer too off topic, but who here was in Mott's band? This is news to me. Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner never were. Prakash was in Parliament/Funkadelic (that's how he got into the RnR Hall of Fame). Were Ray Colcord or Whitey Glan in Mott? I can't find any references to that anywhere.

I think you received some bad info. Most of those guys (Prakash/Dick/Steve) are straight outta Detroit...musically, anyways.

What did Hunter and Wagner do after this?

Welcome to My Nightmare! They toured quite a bit w/ Alice.

Hunter also toured w/ Tracy Chapman for quite a while, and with Lou Reed again for the past several years performing "Berlin" live. Plus, he has a new CD of acoustic hymns out. Very, very enjoyable stuff that can be found at CDbaby.com (http://cdbaby.com/cd/huntersteve). It's called "Hymns for Guitar."

I just picked up an original RCA Dynaflex copy of this for $2.00.

Sounds swell. I rail against Dynaflex, but this pressing is quiet.

Thanks for clearing up the Hunter intro...

Ken

Hey mg196, yeah, you might be right. I surely played the heck out of that old CD, and it could very well be that it was just the shock of it being a lot louder, and that the song order was different with the new songs. I still might trade my buddy to hear the old disc, though...

It's amazing how many folks know about this album and think it rules. I was watching some interview with Monster Magnet and they were all asked what they recommend folks listen to. This album came up!

Hey mg196, yeah, you might be right. I surely played the heck out of that old CD, and it could very well be that it was just the shock of it being a lot louder, and that the song order was different with the new songs. I still might trade my buddy to hear the old disc, though...

It's amazing how many folks know about this album and think it rules. I was watching some interview with Monster Magnet and they were all asked what they recommend folks listen to. This album came up!

I think it still resonates so well because it is unique. Nobody else was playing music anything like that and all the musicians were truly top-notch, without sounding "session-y." There really isn't another LIVE album from the 70s that captures that power and anger, while remaining literate and focused - as RnR Animal does.

From Vintage Guitar magazine in '98:

Vintage Guitar: You've done tons of session work for many of rock's most notable talents. Let's start with your tenure in Lou Reed's band, sharing lead guitar chores with your longtime partner in crime, Steve Hunter.

Dick Wagner: That band definitely took Lou Reed into a different direction. Reed talks bad about the Rock and Roll Animal and Lou Reed, Live albums we played on, now. He puts that whole era down. Well, in every place we ever played back then, the press was always putting down Lou Reed and talking about the great guitars of Hunter and Wagner. He hated that! He came to us during the tour and made us stop playing to the audience and entertaining them because we were stealing his show. We didn't mean to, we were just hot! We did a lot of great work together and I'm very proud of it. Playing guitar with Steve Hunter was one of the highlights of my career.

FYI, Steve has also recorded w/ David Lee Roth, Peter Gabriel, and Aerosmith. I think we need to start a Steve Hunter thread!

We use to play this album over and over in HS. Wore out a few copies, knew every whistle and holler by heart.
Steve Hunter also played with Mitch Ryder.
He had a solo record with a pretty cool version of "8 Miles High"

Another great post mg196. :thmbsp:

It's amazing how everybody who was involved in that album likes it,bar Lour Reed.
He was and remains jealous of the musicians.

Grow-up Lou. :nono:

It will be remembered as his best album because of the undeniable musical impact it has.
The power of Lou's lyrics and Music,has rarely had a better showcase.Lou himself has rarely ever performed his own songs better.
What's not to like about this album?

It's HOT. :yes:

We use to play this album over and over in HS. Wore out a few copies, knew every whistle and holler by heart.
Steve Hunter also played with Mitch Ryder.
He had a solo record with a pretty cool version of "8 Miles High"

No wonder why Mitch Ryder Rocks! I didn't know he also played on Alice's stuff. I was quite the AC fan in HS. Especially his first Love It To Death. Played the heck out of several copies of that 8-Track cruising. That was a hell of a debut album :thmbsp: Black JuJu :D

Back
Top Bottom