Love affair with new VPI over!

What a shame if this is a reason to not like the table? I understand your u post is laced with humor but any time you use a new tool or new equipment there is some learning and optimization to be had. In this instance its the man-machine interface.

I would NOT take a dremel to that spindle. You will ruin resale value and you risk metal particles getting were they should not be.

Why not just chalk this up to learning, slow down, develop your technique. The hand-eye and muscle memory will come in a short amount of time and you will get used to using this table with its taller than normal spindle.

I would use the clamp too.

Last edited:
I could make you an aluminium cap but need the thread, also without turntable here be hard to make sure fits exactly.
Chris

I'd be near 100% sure it's a 1/4-20UNC thread because the spindle on my TT is 0.281" (9/32".) I'd make a screw-on cap out of Teflon (TFE) because aluminum will gall to aluminum very easily unles both parts are anodized. A Teflon cap would also NOT scratch a vinyl LP.

You must not have a VPI 16.5 RCM then because it has the exact same spindle and a much smaller space to mount your records , I’ve cleaned 100’s of records and have never scratched one . Sounds like a case of operator head space and timing to me, practice makes perfect , nice table though hope you don’t mess it up by grinding down the spindle .

Audiofreak71

As a machinist, this caught my interest so I went and measured the spindle on my ProJect turntable. It's 0.281", or 9/32" in diameter, so that thread is almost certainly a 1/4-20UNC and shouldn't even be there. I'm sure it's for their mating LP clamp/weight, but that spindle should instead have an internal M5x0.7 or #10-24UNC thread and the clamp have a captive screw. Better, there should be no thread at all because anywhere there are threads there will be someone to cross-thread them and/or over-tighten them. I would think a simple weight, slip-fit to the spindle diameter, is all one would need.
Was there alchohol involved??

totally agree with Wayner, your hand - eye coordination is suspect .......

Didn't fail with me. I found it amusing....except for the soft tissue damage.

What a shame if this is a reason to not like the table? I understand your u post is laced with humor but any time you use a new tool or new equipment there is some learning and optimization to be had. In this instance its the man-machine interface.

I would NOT take a dremel to that spindle. You will ruin resale value and you risk metal particles getting were they should not be.

Why not just chalk this up to learning, slow down, develop your technique. The hand-eye and muscle memory will come in a short amount of time and you will get used to using this table with its taller than normal spindle.

I would use the clamp too.

Thanks for all of your empathy and support. You folks really related to my situation, and for that, all I can say is--wait, what happened to all of my Jeremy Clarkson-ish schlong jokes? Poor guy. First the BBC banishes him, now he gets deep-sixed from Audiokarma.

I spent the entire eighth grade having to do my schoolwork out in the hallway for the kind of stuff that he made into a weekly routine on Top Gear UK. Long live really bad humor involving male anatomy. Gonna start a movement called "Me Two."

Back to the matter at hand. I've mounted thousands of albums on my turntables for decades--since the 60's for Peter's sake. The VPI just possesses a longer, more intimidating shaft than I'm used to. It took seriously maming Greg Lake before it sunk in. As of now, all is well. Love the VPI so don't freak out about that.

Second, you are correct to be suspect of hand/eye coordination, but there was no alcohol involved. I don't drink nor do I frequent the green, even though it's perfectly legal around here. I don't need anything to encourage me to become stupid days.

Thirdly, the purpose of the Dremel in this case is to polish, not to grind. The tip of the spindle is not as smooth as you'd expect. It's grabby and feels more like lead than aluminum. Think tip of a house key.

Anyway, I used one of these and it had the desired effect. It removed the sticky film and burnished the spindle without grinding or cutting.

DUN5410-b2292e9b0818a268760cf27f32972a42.jpg

Finally, if you've ever lived in Penistone, UK, or camped at Sandy Balls, also in the lovely UK, I apologize for using your communities as a source of really bad humor, but most of the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of Mr. Clarkson and his producers, without whom my knowledge of British geography would be limited to Brown Willy, Cornwall; Twatt, Orkney; Nob End, South Lacashire; or Fanny Barks, Durham. I'm going out into the hall now.

Allow me to clarify. The soft tissue damage was funny. The damage to your album wasn't. Loved Clarkson
Yes, I got that. And I understand fully that the audiophile community has very little sympathy for klutzy people who tear apart gear in their vain attempts for mod or repair them.

Clarkson and his two idiot companions are on Amazon Prime with a Top Gear-like show called "The Grand Tour." The first season was painfully awkward. Then, season two had its moments, but the jokes fell flat in the wake of Harvey Weinstien et. al. Season Three is hitting its stride, but its clear that alcohol and Richard Hammond's near death experiences (three and counting) are starting to take their toll on the three stooges. I did find the recent two part Colombia special to be quite entertaining.

Last edited:
Thank gosh nothing happened to the VPI! Seriously, I have had a couple of near catastrophic episodes with my Prime.

Once I was experimenting with an isolation base and had transferred the table to another rack. Well I transferred the Prime back to the Vulcan rack and thought I’d had the coned feet (4) of the plinth centered atop of the round bases. One of them however missed and a second after I had released my grip on the plinth it came crashing down hard on the corner the tonearm mount is on. There goes four grand down the toilet I thought. Luckily everything was fine and I rechecked the overhang etc and the only thing off was VTF and the azimuth.

Another time, I set a record on the platter and my ham fisted hand came crashing down on the end of the tonearm which was secured in the rest with the restraining clip in place and bounced the arm sideways off from the pivot point but thankfully not off on the floor. Good grief!!! That one chipped a tiny piece of the black coating off the arm by the arm rest area and a recheck of overhang and all other parameters proved nothing was out of alignment. A dab of Testors flat black model paint was a perfect match to cover up my goof.

VPI makes a tough turntable for sure.

Yes, I got that. And I understand fully that the audiophile community has very little sympathy for klutzy people who tear apart gear in their vain attempts for mod or repair them.

Clarkson and his two idiot companions are on Amazon Prime with a Top Gear-like show called "The Grand Tour." The first season was painfully awkward. Then, season two had its moments, but the jokes fell flat in the wake of Harvey Weinstien et. al. Season Three is hitting its stride, but its clear that alcohol and Richard Hammond's near death experiences (three and counting) are starting to take their toll on the three stooges. I did find the recent two part Colombia special to be quite entertaining.
I'm amazed that The Hammster is till with us. I used to watch Top Gear with my former step son and it was usually a hoot. The US version of the show (the couple of episodes i saw) were dull.

Here's a tip. When placing a record on the spindle, if you look through the hole in the record a see the spindle, even for just a quick moment you will center it every time.

It's clear that the VPI doesn't like prog rock. Bundle it up and ship to me - minus the mat, natch.

Thanks for all of your empathy and support. You folks really related to my situation, and for that, all I can say is--wait, what happened to all of my Jeremy Clarkson-ish schlong jokes? Poor guy. First the BBC banishes him, now he gets deep-sixed from Audiokarma.

I spent the entire eighth grade having to do my schoolwork out in the hallway for the kind of stuff that he made into a weekly routine on Top Gear UK. Long live really bad humor involving male anatomy. Gonna start a movement called "Me Two."

Back to the matter at hand. I've mounted thousands of albums on my turntables for decades--since the 60's for Peter's sake. The VPI just possesses a longer, more intimidating shaft than I'm used to. It took seriously maming Greg Lake before it sunk in. As of now, all is well. Love the VPI so don't freak out about that.

Second, you are correct to be suspect of hand/eye coordination, but there was no alcohol involved. I don't drink nor do I frequent the green, even though it's perfectly legal around here. I don't need anything to encourage me to become stupid days.

Thirdly, the purpose of the Dremel in this case is to polish, not to grind. The tip of the spindle is not as smooth as you'd expect. It's grabby and feels more like lead than aluminum. Think tip of a house key.

Anyway, I used one of these and it had the desired effect. It removed the sticky film and burnished the spindle without grinding or cutting.

View attachment 1423578

Finally, if you've ever lived in Penistone, UK, or camped at Sandy Balls, also in the lovely UK, I apologize for using your communities as a source of really bad humor, but most of the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of Mr. Clarkson and his producers, without whom my knowledge of British geography would be limited to Brown Willy, Cornwall; Twatt, Orkney; Nob End, South Lacashire; or Fanny Barks, Durham. I'm going out into the hall now.

Without wishing to go off piste those 3 clowns are looked on as old hat over here.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ophobia-the-grand-tour-jeremy-clarkson-amazon

View attachment 1423578

Tit for tat. Take the drummel to your spindle first, show the VPI how a real man does it. Say "do as I do, not just what I say." Then you can polish the VIP spindle. :cool:

Cheers
Mister Pig

It has taken a while to register that the OP considers his contributions to be funny. I'm glad that he is enjoying them. Would I be wrong in assuming that he was lampooning his own record handling skill in the OP rather than remonstrating about the spindle?

It has taken a while to register that the OP considers his contributions to be funny. I'm glad that he is enjoying them. Would I be wrong in assuming that he was lampooning his own record handling skill in the OP rather than remonstrating about the spindle?
Yes, I was lampooning my own skills.

But to be completely forthcoming, the spindle design is far from elegant on the Prime Scout. It protrudes one inch from the platter to the tip. By comparison, the turntables that I have used for the last 10 years have a spindle that measures 3/8". That is less than half the height of the VPI. So while I take full responsibility for my klutziness, I think that the spindle design could be improved. It looks crude and unfinished on an otherwise great machine.

When I (barely) glanced an album off the top of the spindle--something that would normally cause little or no damage--and saw the gouge that it left, I was shocked. It looked very much like someone had slipped with a screwdriver while applying a lot of force. That's why I started this thread.

I love the Prime Scout and of course I'm not going to allow this one little detail to ruin what will likely be a longterm relationship, but this is an audiophile website where people like us are going to notice these kinds of design choices.

Back
Top Bottom