LP Gear N91VL Vivid Line for my M91ed?

Jim Creek

Jazz, Wine, Electronics
I love the sound of my M91ed with its cheap $15 EVG stylus.

But can I improve its performance even more with an LP Gear N91VL Vivid Line? Can anyone recommend any other stylus upgrade for the M91ed? The SAS option is too much money for me ($200+).

I'd say that the N91VL is an outstanding value at its present price and I'd purchase before the price goes up. Yes' it will be an improvement over what you have now. Also, the Jico branded N91E is made just like the original Shure stylus, tie wire and all, whereas the EVG branded one isn't. I have an original N91ED nude USA stylus as well as the EVG and the Shure is rather a lot better. I haven't been able to compare the Shure to the Jico stylus to see how much difference there is between nude and bonded in that application but @malden might be able to answer that question.

I also have an SAS and, while it is excellent, it is overpriced and no longer a good value, in my opinion. The VL is the price/performance value leader right now, but I am afraid the current price won't last long.

I love the sound of my M91ed with its cheap $15 EVG stylus.

But can I improve its performance even more with an LP Gear N91VL Vivid Line? Can anyone recommend any other stylus upgrade for the M91ed? The SAS option is too much money for me ($200+).

I can't comment on the N91VL because I have not heard one, but the JICO N91E is excellent. As @tubewade mentioned, it is built exactly like the original Shure stylus which is not the case for EVG and most others.

http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1024

I just ordered the N91VL. It's still at the old price of $80 plus $8 shipping. I will let you guys know how I like it.

I bought a VL for my AT cartridge and it's quite nice for the price. I think you'll like it's tracking ability.

Been tempted myself. But I already have 4 different among 6 M91 styli. I do have 2 M91 carts:idea:, and got my bonus check today.

The N91VL arrived today. I am evaluating with my ATH-M50X headphones right now. Initial impressions are very positive. Most striking: Lower surface noice, more detail, more air separating instruments. No sibilance.

Only two albums so far, it keeps getting better. I think I'm in love.

I got a N91VL a couple of days ago after reading this thread for my M91e which was on a TT i bought, the original styli was shot when i got it a year or so ago and i was thinking of putting a SAS on it but then the prices jumped so its been sitting on the shelf. i put it on my Dual 1218 and connected it to the Mac 1900 and Ls50's and played about 8 LPs and i must say it sounds very nice and tracks very well. Im going to run it through my 2245 today and Ohm 2XO's and see how it stands up i have over 40 years of listening on that and should be able to tell where its stands with my other carts but i am very happy so far.

After almost a week of listening to the N91VL I have come to realize that the M91ed (with this stylus) performs at a very high level. I run this combnation on a restored Pioneer PL41. There are no annoying artifacts, just a solid performance on everything I throw at it. The Vivid Line diamond is suppost to last twice as long as a standard eliptical diamond. For me this has been a worthwhile investment. Highly Recommended!

More people need to read reports just like yours, Jim. It could maybe solve the dilemma many have to deal with regarding what stylus to purchase. Hopefully the current reasonable price will hold out a while longer.

I'm considering getting this stylus or an authentic non-EVG Jico, I'm looking for more air and detail than what my EVG can give even though I think that's a nice enough stylus. (especially for 14$)

Can't afford the SAS sadly.

Would this be appropriate for what I'm wanting to upgrade? Does the Jico-branded N91E sound better than the EVG due to being built like the original OEM styli?

Or should I try and hunt a NOS Shure stylus?

After almost a week of listening to the N91VL I have come to realize that the M91ed (with this stylus) performs at a very high level. I run this combnation on a restored Pioneer PL41. There are no annoying artifacts, just a solid performance on everything I throw at it. The Vivid Line diamond is suppost to last twice as long as a standard eliptical diamond. For me this has been a worthwhile investment. Highly Recommended!

I love the VL on my M97 cartridge. My one issue is surface noise. Tracking at 1.25 grams and it picks up more noise and record imperfection than my Grado MCZ.

Still a very nice stylus. :thumbsup:

I love the VL on my M97 cartridge. My one issue is surface noise. Tracking at 1.25 grams and it picks up more noise and record imperfection than my Grado MCZ.

Still a very nice stylus. :thumbsup:

I find that it depends on the record. On prestine records the VL picks up less actual surface noise. OTOH, scratches, flaws and debris deep in the record groove are amplified with the VL.

Does anyone know who makes the LP Gear VL? Is it a Hyper Elliptical and LP Gear changed the name to VL? Also does it have the tie wire, small diameter cantilever and square magnet?

Does anyone know who makes the LP Gear VL? Is it a Hyper Elliptical and LP Gear changed the name to VL? Also does it have the tie wire, small diameter cantilever and square magnet?
From what I know, it's an HE stylus. I've looked at the specs on the VL and Shibata styli they offer for the AT95 and the only difference I would guess is the Shibata has the patented design and the VL is a generic hyper elliptical.
Both have the same specs though, 6/75 um with a "Zualum" thin-wall cantilever. The N91VL's diamond is also 6/75 um.

From what I understand Zualum is a metal or aluminum alloy, which makes things odd because while the N91VL is listed as having a thin-wall aluminum alloy cantilever, they don't call it Zualum. Makes me think they're using it as a fancy term to boost sales.

Last edited:

I found a clue as to the source of the Vividline. The LP Gear VL has the same ink dot on the cantilever as the Jico HE. I would venture a guess that LP Gear sources the VL from Jico.

That is interesting Jim. The Jico HE that I acquired from TurntableNeedles is apparently the same stylus. No need to buy another. I'll put that $88 in the Moving Coil fund. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom