LP Gear N91VL Vivid Line for my M91ed?

I found a clue as to the source of the Vividline. The LP Gear VL has the same ink dot on the cantilever as the Jico HE. I would venture a guess that LP Gear sources the VL from Jico.

There are basically 2 types of after-market styli for Shure cartridges. They are either built like the originals or not.

Type 1 (JICO).....square magnet, square bushing surrounding cantilever and soldered suspension wire (like the originals)

Type 2 (EVG, Pfanstiehl, Ed Saunders, etc.).....ROUND magnet, NO bushing surrounding cantilever, NO soldered suspension wire

The " Jico " N91HE from TTN is built the same as the EVG for the record, no tie wire and fat cantilever. I am unable to see the magnet so no comment there. It does sound quite good though. I wonder if Jico Japan has an economy assembly line for these EVG style styli?

There are basically 2 types of after-market styli for Shure cartridges. They are either built like the originals or not.

Type 1 (JICO).....square magnet, square bushing surrounding cantilever and soldered suspension wire (like the originals)

Type 2 (EVG, Pfanstiehl, Ed Saunders, etc.).....ROUND magnet, NO bushing surrounding cantilever, NO soldered suspension wire

So...using this info, does anybody have an example of the 91 vividline to see whether it has the tie wire and the square bushing?

So...using this info, does anybody have an example of the 91 vividline to see whether it has the tie wire and the square bushing?

I have read at least two posts that stated the VL type do not have the square magnet, tie wire, etc.

I have the 91ed VL. It does not have the tie wire. The magnets are not square. It sounds amazing.

How close does it tonally resemble the stock stylus?
Is there still bass? I just don't get all the fuss over the SAS stuff when it makes a Shure sound like an AT...

How close does it tonally resemble the stock stylus?
Is there still bass? I just don't get all the fuss over the SAS stuff when it makes a Shure sound like an AT...

I have not jumped on the SAS bandwagon for that particular reason. My Shure V15 type lll and type lV sound excellent with JICO's (Shure) clones.

https://www.jico-stylus.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=vn35&x=0&y=0

https://www.jico-stylus.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=vn45&x=0&y=0

How close does it tonally resemble. the stock stylus?

I was talkng about the Vivid Line, not the SAS. I don't have a stock OEM stylus so I can't make a comparison. All I know is that the VL sounds and tracks superbly. I don't care if the VL sounds like the OEM or not.

My goal is not to replicate sound of the OEM but to get the best performance possible.

I was talkng about the Vivid Line, not the SAS. I don't have a stock OEM stylus so I can't make a comparison. All I know is that the VL sounds and tracks superbly. I don't care if the VL sounds like the OEM or not.

My goal is not to replicate sound of the OEM but to get the best performance possible.

How did you decide on the Vivid Line?

How did you decide on the Vivid Line?

There is a post by tubewade that praised the VL (#2 post in this thread). I started this thread asking for a recommendation for an upgrade over the $15 EVG. The price is also quite reasonable.

There is a post by tubewade that praised the VL (#2 post in this thread). I started this thread asking for a recommendation for an upgrade over the $15 EVG. The price is also quite reasonable.
would you like to borrow an original N91ED stylus, and a Jico replacement for the N91ED to compare to the VL?

Having a Original Genuine Shure N91ed, a Jico HE from TTN, a Jico SAS, and lots of EVG's to use on my Dual 1219, I must say they all sound good and have their own niche of performance. The type of music I'm playing determines the one I use. Still want to try a JIco direct N91e but don't want to pay $22 shipping for one.

I would love to hear the results of the comparison of original Shure, Jico replacement, and VL replacement.

I like the house sound of original Shure quite a bit. I like the Jico SAS but I will admit that is different than the Shure OEM on my V15-III, each has its strengths. My experience with the VL is on the M97xE and to my ears the VL replacement is a big improvement over the current Shure N97 stylus.

For those of you stateside, The LP tunes stylus HYPERELLIPTICAL UPGRADE FOR SHURE N-91ED (N91ED) STYLUS is identical to the LP Gear Vivid line, and is cheaper - with free shipping too. After reading this thread, and other posts, I'm buying today. Response from LP Tunes below.

Good afternoon Mike, Thank you for reaching out to LP Tunes. Yes, they are both the same with the same specs. If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help.
Kind regards,
Cristina
LP TUNES
www.lptunes.com

For those of you stateside, The LP tunes stylus HYPERELLIPTICAL UPGRADE FOR SHURE N-91ED (N91ED) STYLUS is identical to the LP Gear Vivid line, and is cheaper - with free shipping too. After reading this thread, and other posts, I'm buying today. Response from LP Tunes below.

Good afternoon Mike, Thank you for reaching out to LP Tunes. Yes, they are both the same with the same specs. If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help.
Kind regards,
Cristina
LP TUNES
www.lptunes.com
We'll be waiting for a full report. :jump:

Well, it really sounds nice right out of the gate. I was frankly surprised by how this installs into the cart. Just shove it in. At first blush, It seems quieter, at least as far as picking up the clicks and static, than my AT-440MLB. But that is also comparing two different turntables so that may have some bearing on it. Look forward to breaking it in. I started with APP I Robot and moved on to AC/DC and it seems equally adept with both. Nice Bass. Too bad the wife and kids are home right now...

Attachments

• 0220201942.jpg
    0220201942.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom