LP stacks as bass traps

Bob in WI

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Made progress on my remodeled listening room & set up the speakers in there for trial......THUNDERDOME!!! Nasty bloat in lower bass... So, clearly I need bass traps. Also need to incorporate LP storage. So, what if I put 1x4 Kallax in the corners. Would those function as bass traps? Anybody tried it? TIA

No replies? OK. I can't possibly be the first one who has thought of this so it must be a crappy idea. I'm doing it anyway. Plan is to take 2 1X4 Ikea Kallax, put a back on them and attach 2" of 703 material to the back. Each Kallax would sit diagonally in the corner behind a speaker. I'll have the mass of the LPs, a 1/4" layer of luan plywood then 2" of 703 then the empty space behind. It should work. The Kallax is 58" tall & a small footprint so I'll have to mechanically attach them to the wall somehow. I'm doing this with either 1X4 or 2 X 2 Kallax. I'm leaning towards the 1 X 4 because my speakers are taller that a 2 X 2 - don't know if thats important.

I do not think a stack of albums would function very well as an acoustic treatment. But, I am not an Acoustics Engineer. The Bass-Traps that I have seen are pretty specific in their design. But, heck, give it a try. Can't hurt. And you can always go to real traps if needed.

As long as there's some generously large open slots between the corners of the Kallax shelves and the walls, and you fill all of the empty area with damping material, it should work. I think quite a few DIY bass traps are only absorbing at the side facing the corner (e.g. rolls of Rockwool and such).

Last edited:
Bob,
If the area behind the Kallax is out of view. How about stacked spare pillows in addition.

I already have 2" 703 panels. The kicker is how to incorporate them into LP storage to kill 2 birds with one bass trap. I've tried a couple easy solutions just to see if I can reduce the thunder & I can. So I'm pretty sure bass traps will clean up the sound & get rid of the "mud".

UOTE="Bob in WI, post: 10703233, member: 157584"]pillows ?[/QUOTE]

A problem with giving advice. I would go the cheap route first. If I don't have to look at it, I'd try polyester fill sofa pillows first. They're my wifes anyways. That's my budget restrictions. May not be yours.

FWIW, I got to experiment some today & am giving up on this idea. I have a very low frequency resonance & I'm not sure how I'll tame it. Its nasty tho...

From what I have read, if your listening room is less that about 30 feet long, you will need to have some kind of bass traps. There is some really good acoustic design information on the internet. My problem is deciphering all of the "engineer-speak".

From what I have read, if your listening room is less that about 30 feet long, you will need to have some kind of bass traps. There is some really good acoustic design information on the internet. My problem is deciphering all of the "engineer-speak".

I hear you. My sonic boom is pretty low too, most of the bass traps I see are ineffective below 100hz. I really should get some analysis done. I think the resonance is below that.

I like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TT7BGQM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't tried the LP idea, but I would guess it wouldn't work as well (no idea though).

@Nightwisher : Very Cool, Thanks for the Link. :thumbsup:

611UcHZTyIL._SL1000_.jpg

,Mike. :smoke:

What are your room dimensions? Even multiples tend to exacerbate room modes. I use a small forest of DIY traps using this recipe.
12' X 16' room with 3 corners. I read the article. Interesting but 32 bass traps? Must be a big room. Regardless, I've been thinking about tube traps. Bet they'd be more effective with material thicker than 1". I don't know what that material might be tho....

12' X 16' room with 3 corners. I read the article. Interesting but 32 bass traps? Must be a big room.
I use a dozen in my environment.

Regardless, I've been thinking about tube traps. Bet they'd be more effective with material thicker than 1". I don't know what that material might be tho....
They really do work. I think the thickness was governed by the DIY nature using a readily available resource.

Here's a different view of the room with the other four smaller traps located midway down the room.

system2016041.jpg

Thats an attractive space - nice work. I'm thinking if I get a bass trap in each corner & broadband at 1st refection & behind the listening position, that will be alot.

You could also check out the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (for subwoofers) or the Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual-Core (full range). They are digital signal processors that you calibrate to your room and system using the included microphone, by pressing a button. Very impressive results, IME.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products.shtml

No affiliation.

You could also check out the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (for subwoofers) or the Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual-Core (full range). They are digital signal processors that you calibrate to your room and system using the included microphone, by pressing a button. Very impressive results, IME.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products.shtml

No affiliation.

Well, isn't that a cool thing. It appears to be a limited pre & DSP & a DAC. As a pre it certainly would not meeet my needs. I'm going to have to look for other DSPs - something focused on room correction. Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom