LP stacks as bass traps

Well, isn't that a cool thing. It appears to be a limited pre & DSP & a DAC. As a pre it certainly would not meeet my needs. I'm going to have to look for other DSPs - something focused on room correction. Thanks for the link.
You're welcome.

Actually they are focused on room correction. As a preamp, it is definitely limited, mainly by the number of inputs. I had the 8033 (subwoofer) version. The main reason I chose it was because it did not digitize the main signal - just the signal going to the subwoofer. Maybe I'm too digital-phobic. I believe @enginedr reports wonderful results using the 2.0 full-range model, iirc.

Well, isn't that a cool thing. It appears to be a limited pre & DSP & a DAC. As a pre it certainly would not meeet my needs. I'm going to have to look for other DSPs - something focused on room correction. Thanks for the link.
Check out the MiniDSP 2x4. I use one in my main system and it is one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

Check out the MiniDSP 2x4. I use one in my main system and it is one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

I'll have to read the instruction sheets. Looks like that goes between your pre & amp? I suppose you'd need a microphone with either unit so you can measure your results. The cost to try this is pretty reasonable.

I'll have to read the instruction sheets. Looks like that goes between your pre & amp? I suppose you'd need a microphone with either unit so you can measure your results. The cost to try this is pretty reasonable.
Yeah it's designed for between the pre and amp, which is where I use mine. You'll need a microphone to hook up to a computer to run with REW (Room EQ Wizard, a free program many here recommend). The results from REW are importable onto the MiniDSP. MiniDSP's microphone (UMIK-1) is $75, so even with that tacked on it's still reasonable, but any good USB microphone would work.

Cool. Wed evening I'm going by a fellow AKers to look at REW.
I think this might be a solution to my sonic boom.
Funny how bloat in one frequency range over rides or masks others.

The DSPeaker 2.0i s a great device but like noted it has one analog input . I paired mine up with a passive line stage that I put together using the Bent Audio TAP modules and a good selector switch 4 in to 1 out to 1in to volume control and 2 out to amps and subs003.JPG at first I was using 2 stereo subs .Then after hearing a system using distributed bass I added 2 more subs . The best and most even bass response I have heard in my room to date .

The DSPeaker 2.0i s a great device but like noted it has one analog input . I paired mine up with a passive line stage that I put together using the Bent Audio TAP modules and a good selector switch 4 in to 1 out to 1in to volume control and 2 out to amps and subsView attachment 972702 at first I was using 2 stereo subs .Then after hearing a system using distributed bass I added 2 more subs . The best and most even bass response I have heard in my room to date .

4 subs? thats the opposite of where I need to be but I get your point about using the DSP to tailor the sound. I was just looking at the MiniDSP 2x4 HD & it has a 10 settings on the paraequalizer feature (breaks down the audible frequencies into 10 bands). I wonder if thats typical. I think I remember analog equalizers that broke the audible spectrum into smaller parts..... but I could be mistaken. Regardless, I guess 10 is enough?

4 subs? thats the opposite of where I need to be but I get your point about using the DSP to tailor the sound. I was just looking at the MiniDSP 2x4 HD & it has a 10 settings on the paraequalizer feature (breaks down the audible frequencies into 10 bands). I wonder if thats typical. I think I remember analog equalizers that broke the audible spectrum into smaller parts..... but I could be mistaken. Regardless, I guess 10 is enough?

There were/are linear equalizers that have 31 bands (1/3 octave). Most of the ones for home use are 10 band octave equalizers. The frequency and bandwidth of the sliders on linear equalizers is usually fixed.

Although the Mini DSP only has ten bands they are all parametric. They have adjustable frequencies, adjustable bandwidth and adjustable slopes. This results in an equalizer that will usually yield better results because you can customize the response to your listening area.

FWIW: I use a Behringer DSP-1124P (10 band digital parametric equalizer) with a calibrated microphone and REW to help flatten my in room response. I moved to this after extensive room treatments in a dedicated room failed to correct some low frequency problems.

There were/are linear equalizers that have 31 bands (1/3 octave). Most of the ones for home use are 10 band octave equalizers. The frequency and bandwidth of the sliders on linear equalizers is usually fixed.

Although the Mini DSP only has ten bands they are all parametric. They have adjustable frequencies, adjustable bandwidth and adjustable slopes. This results in an equalizer that will usually yield better results because you can customize the response to your listening area.

FWIW: I use a Behringer DSP-1124P (10 band digital parametric equalizer) with a calibrated microphone and REW to help flatten my in room response. I moved to this after extensive room treatments in a dedicated room failed to correct some low frequency problems.

Thanks for the feedback. My plan as of now is to incorporate reasonable absorbtion (behind the listener, first point reflections, modest bass traps) & use a DSP to fine tune. My experiments so far suggest that bass traps alone will not eliminate the low frequency rumble. All fun stuff that I could be doing instead of "work".

Yeah it's designed for between the pre and amp, which is where I use mine. You'll need a microphone to hook up to a computer to run with REW (Room EQ Wizard, a free program many here recommend). The results from REW are importable onto the MiniDSP. MiniDSP's microphone (UMIK-1) is $75, so even with that tacked on it's still reasonable, but any good USB microphone would work.

Is there any difference between the MiniDSP's microphone (UMIK-1) and the Dayton-Audio-UMM-6-USB-Measurement-Microphone? I've just acquired the latter but it still can be returned, but the MINI DSP might help with my listening room issues and if the UMIK-1 integrates with the MINI DSP in a better way, then I'd rather go that route. Please advise. Thanks!

Is there any difference between the MiniDSP's microphone (UMIK-1) and the Dayton-Audio-UMM-6-USB-Measurement-Microphone? I've just acquired the latter but it still can be returned, but the MINI DSP might help with my listening room issues and if the UMIK-1 integrates with the MINI DSP in a better way, then I'd rather go that route. Please advise. Thanks!
I haven't used either of those. I would recommend checking if Room EQ Wizard has a profile for whatever microphone you choose, so that the measurements are as accurate as possible (if you're using REW).

I haven't used either of those. I would recommend checking if Room EQ Wizard has a profile for whatever microphone you choose, so that the measurements are as accurate as possible (if you're using REW).

Both Daytons (USB, mic level) and the Umik-1 include downloadable individual calibration curves that REW can use.

Back
Top Bottom