Lucas Smoke Kit

Years ago (70s) I heard about the famous "smoke" from British cars. I always thought it to be more of a joke than anything. Then my cousin bought an MGB (new). The first time, it just fried part of the headlight circuit - no big problem. The second time it burnt the car to the ground.

I need this kit for my cranky left hip (the infamous one which doesn't like to stay in socket). Lucas, Ltd built it in 1964 (a Jaguar E type reject part)

Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness always said "Don't go out at night". He actually invented something he was never credited for, the intermittent windshield wiper.

BillWojo

those wires do smoke a lot .been there done that .. easy fixed if battery terminal removed fast enough . most lucas stuff is serviceable by most people however novice ..
that smoke replacement kit was a god send .

I was in a pub in the early 70's, some guy came running in, "There's little red car fulla smoke out front!!". Yeah, mine.

What is it with Euro cars and janky electrics? The Beetle I had in high school had weird random gremlins from connection issues too. Everything on that was a push-on connector, even the grounds to the body plugged onto tabs welded on the sheet metal. I remember one of those getting crusty and the lighting would go all stupid. Any turn signal would make 3 lights blink, step on the brake and the reverse lights came on, stupid things like that. I've fixed gremlins on Volvos from the same issues.

My 1970 MGBGT (owned circa '76, so it was not THAT old at the time) had a bumper sticker - "All the parts falling from this car are of the finest British Quality"
Inevitably, on Monday mornings it would be difficult to start. I could reach under the dash, wiggle the wiring, and, if I was lucky, somehow something would connect and allow it to start!

I blame those damned Lucas bullet connectors!

Last edited:
Unless you mean 'sometimes they work, sometimes they don't' .

Exactly what I mean, it was so typical of all of Lucas electrics. I didn't own British cars, only motorcycles and they all had the same problems.

I blame those damned Lucas bullet connectors!

hjames, those connectors were the pits! Corrosion, breaking off at the wires, you name the failure and they had it. It was typical to see British motorcycles with wires just twisted together and covered with electrical tape.

I remember when I picked up my first BMW motorcycle, a 1971 R75/5 750cc that had been wrecked. I rebuilt that and put it back on the road but I was amazed at the quality of the Bosch electrics that they used. That bike never ever gave me a lick of a problem. Eventually I bought a 1979 R100RT and the R75/5 became a loaner bike, anyone was allowed to use it if they were working on there bike and wanted to go riding with us. It was used and abused for years but never gave me any problems.
My British bikes were always a challenge just to get started. I mainly was into the single cylinder BSA and Triumphs. I still think the Brits built some of the nicest looking motorcycles though.

BillWojo

Crazy me - British Bikes, then the MGB-GT, then more british bikes!

I had a Fiat Spyder with electrical problems. I went to the library to look at the wiring diagram in the Chilton's book. I then had to go to the reference section for the Italian/English dictionary. The wire colors were in Italian.

Back
Top Bottom