Luxman MA-88 mono tube amps

I see three VR on the schematic :VR 331 ( grid negative polarization ) VR 332 ( bias balance ) and VR 131 ( 12BH7A filament, hum balance : half of the filament voltage is added to the signal voltage - if the pot is centered -. The other half is also added, but out of phase, and theoretically the two out-of-phase voltages cancel.)

Last edited:
Just wanted to update everyone on this wonderful Luxman system, over 3 years of problem free use and it's still my favorite system. Going from Klipsch Cornwalls, to Klipsch Belle's, to EV Sentry III's has taken them to an even higher quality sound level. The Sentry III's have the best midrange horn I have ever listened to, very impressive combined with tube equipment. It get's a little boring not updating to better equipment every so often :p, but this equipment still is extremely impressive every time I give them a listen. Even after all this time, I have only heard from one other person that owns a pair and they are not in the U.S. I still keep an eye out for the matching phono preamp, but have only seen one offered from Russia on the auction site. The price was what I considered too high and I passed on it at the time, I might regret that some day. :dunno: The phono preamp I use is adequate, but I always like to match things up that were made to go together. :music:

20181022_144418.jpg

Wonderful amps.
Trying to decide on the possibility of a pair of MB-3045s (configured for KT-88s) or a new-build pair of Dynaco MKIVs.

I have Dynaco mk-3's and like the Luxman amps much better. But these MA88's are one year only premier anniversary units.

Will guess that the Luxman MA88s & MB-3045s are considerably more similar than are the Dynaco MKIIIs & MKIVs, which are quite different. Especially with all the upgraded/modified boards for the Dynacos.

I can tell with some certainty that this model was only marketed in the Japan Domestics market on a very limited production run. I don't think Luxman even exported to Europe for this one. So, chances are very slim that they have English Service Manual. But spec is readily available on thevintageknob website.

If it breaks (not likely in anyway), any competent Tech should be able to fix it with one eye closed. So, no worries on that. Enjoy them as much as you have time for them. I would even be tempted to try KT120 in them. :)

I tried. They blow Kt-88 away. Huge scale and dynamics.

Back
Top Bottom